PDA

View Full Version : Curly Maple Vase

Steve Schlumpf
07-17-2010, 9:59 PM
This curly maple was left over from a chunk that Rich Aldrich brought with him when he stopped in for some one-on-one lathe time back in March. Sure is some beautiful wood!

Turned green to finial thickness, then soaked in DNA (denatured alcohol), wrapped and allowed to dry and warp as it wanted. The blank was full of cracks before it was turned but because the wood was so full of curl - I had to give it a try!

156104 156105 156106 156107

Maple, 7.25" high x 3.5" wide, CA applied to all cracks, sanded to 800 grit and has several coats of wipe-on gloss poly. Will wait for a week or so and then buff it out and apply some Renaissance wax.

As always, comments, opinions and critiques are welcomed!

Thanks for looking!

Kurt Barker
07-17-2010, 10:08 PM
Beautiful!

Rich Aldrich
07-17-2010, 10:22 PM
Nice piece. If I remember right, you said the wood was a bit stinky. It was cut on the edge of a marsh in February by my Dad who has been in logging since he was 16. He is now 74.

Allen Neighbors
07-17-2010, 10:43 PM
I love it!! Especially, laying on it's side, it looks really old... Beautiful, curly form...

William Hutchinson
07-17-2010, 11:02 PM
Very nice piece, the amphorae shape and cracks gives the vessel a kinship with ancient relics. Are you planning a stand to lift or stabilize the slender bottom?

Steve Schlumpf
07-17-2010, 11:31 PM
William - I thought about a stand but the vase is actually stable as is. One of these days I may try one of those extreme tapers - but I was happy to get this one done without having it blow up!

Bernie Weishapl
07-17-2010, 11:42 PM
Steve that is a beautiful vase out of some beautiful wood.

David E Keller
07-18-2010, 12:20 AM
It's beautiful. I love the form and finish. Great work with a very nice bit of wood.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-18-2010, 12:34 AM
This curly maple was left over from a chunk that Rich Aldrich brought with him when he stopped in for some one-on-one lathe time back in March. Sure is some beautiful wood!

Turned green to finial thickness, then soaked in DNA (denatured alcohol), wrapped and allowed to dry and warp as it wanted. The blank was full of cracks before it was turned but because the wood was so full of curl - I had to give it a try!

156104 156105 156106 156107

Maple, 7.25" high x 3.5" wide, CA applied to all cracks, sanded to 800 grit and has several coats of wipe-on gloss poly. Will wait for a week or so and then buff it out and apply some Renaissance wax.

As always, comments, opinions and critiques are welcomed!

Thanks for looking!

I can see why you wanted to turn the piece even with all the splits in it, it is very nice wood, the shape is fine as is, but I think with the bottom end turned into a thinner rounded tip, it would suit it better IMO, even if it has to lay on it side, though you could use the old trick of planting it in loose sand, if you want it to stand upright, or make a stand for it of course :D.

How much did it warp Steve, it doesn't show much warping in the pictures that I can see, I would expect it to become a bit oval, did it do that, become oval I mean :)

Mike McAfee
07-18-2010, 12:53 AM
WOW Steve, that is just very cool! I love the taper, the finish and the form!

MMc

Jeff Nicol
07-18-2010, 5:33 AM
Steve, Your finish on this is like glass! It lets the figure and the cracks in the wood show with all thier glory! I love figured maple and I need to go digging around in the pile of left overs at my cousins to see what there is left from the timber sale. I know there are 3 chunks that will have some nice waves in it, so I better go get it soon!

Another great Double "S" creation!

Jeff

John Keeton
07-18-2010, 6:44 AM
Steve, this one really has some character - the wood is beautiful, and the cracks add to the overall flavor of the piece.

I had mentioned dye to you at one point, but I don't believe it would do anything for this piece. The curly stands out on its own very well, and the cracks could have become a problem with a dye application.

On its side, it reminds me of a cocoon. The form is very natural, and pleasing.

Well done!

Michelle Rich
07-18-2010, 8:08 AM
The maple is subtle, but interesting. The shape a tad extreme..together it makes the vase different & gives the eyes a good working over. A real good effort.

Bill Wilcox
07-18-2010, 8:54 AM
Steve, I really enjoy looking at your work. I find myself trying to process your turning style and am enjoying it. I want to thank you for sharing your work with all of us.

Roland Martin
07-18-2010, 8:58 AM
Beautiful piece of wood Steve. I like the form as is and with all that character and an awesome finish, you've come up with a lovely piece. Nice Work!!

James Combs
07-18-2010, 9:06 AM
Very nice Steve. I am curious about wall thickness, I don't see it mentioned?? It has to be thicker then most or it would have flew apart with all the cracks??

Steve Schlumpf
07-18-2010, 10:11 AM
Thanks for all the kind words everyone - I do appreciate it!

Leo - the wood did oval while drying. I managed to true up the bulk of the outside but left the inside alone as there wasn't enough wood to play with anyway. The opening was left oval and it adds a nice touch to the finished piece.

I also agree that the slightly flared foot disrupts the curve and will give it some thought whether to remove it or just move on to the next turning.

James - the top of the vase is 1/8" or so thick and the walls are around 3/16" or less. I have turned thinner pieces but wanted this one to survive - so left it a tad thicker than normal.

Baxter Smith
07-18-2010, 10:30 AM
Beautiful piece of wood cracks and all. I was never a big fan of high gloss finishes in flatwork but you sure do it well with the round stuff!

Thomas Bennett
07-18-2010, 10:59 AM
Nice blank, the cracks really look cool. Great grain, of course. I love the form, too. Very well done. Superb photos, as usual. I like the photo with the piece laying (lying?) down. I think it would be interesting to make a similar form turned to a point, to be displayed on it's side, like a cornucopia.

bob svoboda
07-18-2010, 11:35 AM
Stunning wood and very well handled. That's a piece to be proud of.

David DeCristoforo
07-18-2010, 1:38 PM
That's an awesome vase WTHISS. Can I ask a question? Well never mind that... I'll just ask it. You said you turned the vase to finished thickness and then gave it the DNA treatment. How long did it soak in the DNA? Did that raise the grain? How long to dry out after soaking? How did you finish it after soaking? Was it ever put back on the lathe afterwards? If so,how did you mount it? OK, that's a lot of questions. But I'm really interested in this process. If you don't mind sharing, I would be most grateful...

Roger Chandler
07-18-2010, 1:55 PM
Steve,

Your craftsmanship stands out here on this piece. You sir, are truly an artisan, and a gentleman, I might add. :)

Your finish on this is just flawless, and the wood grain just pops!

As to form, each of us has our own preferences, and I would have had a wider base, but you as the artist had your own reasons for the form you chose and it was certainly done beautifully, so in all respects it is a beautiful turning.

Having gotten the wood from such an aspiring turner as Rich is, also makes the save all the more worthwhile, and he has duly shown appreciation to his mentor with this gift, and his mentor has artfully acknowledged the gesture in a way that memorializes the relationship ....... how neat is that!:D

Harvey Ghesser
07-18-2010, 2:18 PM
Steve,

You've once again given us eye candy! Beautiful work, my friend!

I always look forward to your next work of art!:D

Harv

Richard Madden
07-18-2010, 2:42 PM
Very nice piece, Steve. Could you tell me when you filled the cracks with CA? Was it done during the initial turning, or after drying? I'm asking because some times I get darkening around a filled crack with CA that is hard to get rid of.

Pete Jordan
07-18-2010, 2:44 PM
Nice save Steve!

I always love the way your finishes turn out.

Steve Schlumpf
07-18-2010, 4:33 PM
David - the form was turned to about 1/4" thick - normally it would have been closer to 3/4" but I wanted to try turning one thin and seeing what happened. It was roughed out at the end of March and soaked in the DNA for at least a day, more than likely 2. DNA will raise the grain a little but seeing as how this was a rough out - I wasn't concerned. Wrapped the rough out in brown paper bag and set on the shelf until I grabbed it a few days ago.

I put the rough out on the lathe and trued up the tenon and as much of the outside as I dared - being aware that I only had so much wood to work with. The vase had ovaled while drying but wasn't super bad - so decided to use the lathe. Most of my lathe time was using my drill to sand. The opening was left oval and no attempt was made to true up the inside of the vase. I was actually very surprised when I unwrapped the vase so I could finish it because the outside and inside were very smooth! I guess taking your time and making sure the rough out was smooth before drying does make a difference!

Steve Schlumpf
07-18-2010, 4:36 PM
Richard - I waited to glue up the cracks until I was totally finished sanding the vase. I applied a soaking coat of wipe-on poly and let that dry for a day - then I glued up all the cracks. Learned that if you put a coat of finish on the piece first - the CA will not stain the wood.

After the glue dried, I just sanded everything back by hand and started applying finish like I normally do.

David DeCristoforo
07-18-2010, 4:39 PM
Thanx SS. I'm working on a couple of green pieces and I think I'm going to give the DNA thing a go. My only indecision is whether to leave them "fat" and re-turn them once they are dry enough or to try for finished thickness and take my chances on warping. Maybe I'll try it both ways and see...

Steve Schlumpf
07-18-2010, 4:43 PM
David - depending on the wood and how much it likes to warp while drying - I prefer the rough out to 10% thickness rule and then turn to finished thickness once dry. I have a really good success rate doing it that way - and a heck of a lot less cracks! Just make sure to try and keep your thickness as close to the same throughout the piece, remove any sharp edges and you'll be fine!

Looking forward to seeing your hollow form!

Joe Little
07-18-2010, 7:04 PM
Beautiful piece, nice wood.

Mike Minto
07-18-2010, 8:09 PM
Steve, very nice vase - beautiful wood. The proportion of the bottom to the top of the form is a little too narrow, to me, though. I do like the photos you take of this sort of form when they are laying down - unique.

dean griffith
07-18-2010, 10:06 PM
Beautiful job Steve from one Michigander to another!

Rob Cunningham
07-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Looks great Steve. Beautiful wood, nice form, and a great finish.
Did you leave extra thickness in the bottom for weight?

Tim Rinehart
07-19-2010, 1:11 PM
Steve, that is a beautiful piece and really sends a message...that sometimes regardless of imperfections, i.el cracks and such, you have to give a piece of wood a chance to shine, and shine that one does.
Excellent form and finish IMO.

steven carter
07-19-2010, 2:21 PM
Simply beautiful!

Neil Strong
07-19-2010, 9:54 PM
Sweet form. Love those cracks. Nice to see a turner that has so much reverence for their wood.

Karl Card
07-19-2010, 10:02 PM
I absolutely love the looks of curly maple. I have a few super curly sticks that I dont know what to do with as of yet.

I really like the piece and it is alot more than I could have done.

The only thing I wonder about is what some of the larger cracks would have looked like filled with the dust of the curly maple, yes I know they wouldnt be curly but still would make the person looking at it wonder if it was really a crack or ?????

Hope that made sense, I have a hard time explaining myself... it is that Tennessee education I guess...lol

Joe Aliperti
07-20-2010, 12:18 AM
Beautiful vase, Steve! That's great that it still stands stably even after allowing it to warp. I really like the form.

Bill Bolen
07-20-2010, 11:33 AM
Lovely form and an outstanding finish on a fantastic piece of wood. Congrat's on a beauty...Bill...

Curt Fuller
07-20-2010, 10:30 PM
Wow, I love the form on this one. And the wood. And the finish. They don't get any better.