PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Workbench

Mark Fox
07-17-2010, 5:36 PM
I'm new to the Neanderthal ways and have been looking to either buy or build a workbench. There's a Laguna 6' bench for sale locally for $500 and was just wondering if anyone had experience with this bench...

Mark

Dan Karachio
07-18-2010, 10:38 PM
Hmmmm... That is a $1400 bench, but the Finewoodworking review had some issues. See: http://www.finewoodworking.com/Workshop/WorkshopPDF.aspx?id=27577

Good stability, low on the vises, it is short at 33" and they had some issues with flatness/prep of the top and the dogs. Still, who knows what those pedantic tool snobs come up with. They reviewed a 7 foot. Laguna's site has a 5' and 7'. Are you sure it is 6 feet?

HOWEVER, $500 is something to think about!!! That is getting to a real decision point there. You could spend $500 or more on wood alone or vises alone for your own bench. Go check it out. Is it flat, in good shape, solid, tall enough for you? If it looks okay, I personally would at the very least offer him $400 and see what happens (except I am over 6' and it may be an issue).

It has a tool tray. I love tool trays.

Let us know what happens!

David Weaver
07-18-2010, 11:04 PM
Give it a look, check the function of the vises, and make sure they're even with the bench top, make sure they work well clamping something tightly.

If it's too short, that's easily fixable with a layer or two of 8/4 stock attached to the feet.

I would buy it at that price no problem. I'm not that bench-picky, and if the hardware is good on it, if it's a little out of flat, you can fix that very easily with a jointer plane.

Mark Fox
07-19-2010, 12:11 AM
We'll I passed, Just had surgery and not returning to work till the middle of Aug.. I'm sure I'll kick myself in the ass for not buying it. It was in the San Diego craigslist, We'll see if he reposts it. As for the height? 33" is fine for me , i'm only 5"6"...

Mark

Frederick Gross
07-19-2010, 7:42 AM
I picked up a used Laguna workbench in SoCal (Laguna Niguel) for the same price a few years back. It was used, not abused and functionally the bench is very satisfactory. The vices have a smooth action and clamp things securely. The one I picked up has the cabinets underneath and the storage allows to me to add a little extra heft to the bench.

It was a little low for me, but I attached spacers to the bottom of the legs. If it is still around, I say grab it.....surgery or not.