PDA

View Full Version : Why shouldn't the pressure drop?

Tom Winship
07-17-2010, 11:48 AM
As I understand it, BP has concerns that the pressure on the Gulf well is lower than they thought it would be (6500 psi, I think). I am not a resovoir engineer, but I know that resovoirs deplete over time when flowing.
This well has flowed for almost 3 months and has flowed almost 2 1/4 million barrels (low estimate).
Does it not make sense that the pressure would be lower than it was at the time of the explosion.

Along similar lines (and I haven't checked this out), I got an e-mail yesterday saying the $20 billion would actually make BP $7 billion. Because an accrual has to be taken according to GAP (general accounting principles), and coupled with the dividend savings, the tax impact will increase their profit by $7 billion. As I say, I won't vouch for this, but I have not seen a lot of kicking and screaming!

Dan Mages
07-17-2010, 7:34 PM
As I understand it, they want the pressure to remain steady or increase. This would indicate a tight seal and no additional leaks. A pressure drop would indicate the opposite.

Dan

Greg Peterson
07-17-2010, 9:08 PM
A drop or fluctuation in pressure would indicate a lack of integrity in the well pipe. If oil is leaking somewhere between the sea floor and the oil reservoir we've got a pretty major problem.

I'm concerned that no one has come out and said it is a done deal. I do know there was concerned raised as to the quality and integrity of the pipe used for the well. But this was back in early May.