PDA

View Full Version : Any word from Grizzly on a new woodworkers drill press?

scott vroom
07-17-2010, 10:36 AM
In a thread last fall Shiraz mentioned Grizzly was working on a drill press designed with the woodworker in mind. Has anyone heard from Grizzly lately on this?

Here's the original thread:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=121904

Mikail Khan
07-17-2010, 2:42 PM
About a month or two ago Shiraz indicated that it was still quite a few months away.

MK

Dan Karachio
07-17-2010, 3:22 PM
As someone who just purchased a Rigid (it's okay) I am glad this is not coming out soon! :)

glenn bradley
07-17-2010, 3:56 PM
I hope Shiraz takes his time and really come out with a winner. Drill Presses are the most over looked tool I have ever tried to struggle through deciding on. So many average ones out there in such a wide price range. $200 so-so ones to $1000 so-so ones . . . its depressing. When it shows up I hope it is all that the ones that have been so disappointing were supposed to be.

Dan Karachio
07-17-2010, 11:24 PM
What would it have to make it right? I can think of a few things. A great table with fence and the ability to measure carefully and do repetitive drilling. From mortises to shelf pins. A way to easily measure and be confident of table tilt angles. A replaceable insert of mdf. A removable insert for use of sanding cylinders. A long quill travel - 5" really. A light. How about dust collection accounted for in some way (my dp makes more dust and chips than any other tool almost).

My inexpensive 15" Rigid and the Pinnacle table come somewhat close to this, but miss in a number of areas. It's okay, and I'm not sure I would run out to replace it, but there are plenty of people out there who have put off the old DP purchase.