PDA

View Full Version : Caged Beast Has Landed (Griz - G0513X2 BS)

Mike Goetzke
07-17-2010, 10:19 AM
Got the OK to up-size my old 14" BS. The lift-gate service was great. The driver helped me get the crate in my garage. I didn't calculate the small skid in my height dimensions and it just barely squeezed between the floor and overhead door. I tipped the driver but that was a mistake - he stayed an additional 15 min. gabbing while I kept shaking my head.

Anyway, I still can't figure the best solution for a mobile base. My 14" Delta had the Delta base with the single foot pedal which I really liked. Oh well I'll have to build or buy something soon.

Proof:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Grizzly%20G0513X2/IMG_1025.jpg

Will Overton
07-17-2010, 10:29 AM
Congrats Mike!

Cary Falk
07-17-2010, 10:38 AM
Mobile base
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0189.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0190.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0191.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0192-1.jpg

Joseph Tarantino
07-17-2010, 10:43 AM
cary...that is an elegantly simple design. beautiful! what size BS is it supporting?

John Mark Lane
07-17-2010, 10:49 AM
This is an inspirational post. Congrats!

Cary -- agree, that is a nice solution. However, one question: why not just attach the casters direction to the saw base? It looks like you're gaining a couple of inches in width for stability, but in the direction less likely to be a problem? And you raise the table height, no? Just curious why you did it that way...

Paul McGaha
07-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Congratulations on the new band saw Mike.

She's a beauty.

PHM

glenn bradley
07-17-2010, 11:00 AM
However, one question: why not just attach the casters direction to the saw base?

I'm going to guess that due to the threaded post on the caster that direct attachment would have been difficult.

Congrats Mike. Many folks (including me) are very happy with that machine. It is one of those things where everything came together. I believe Grizzly has addressed the silly fence handle design issue from a ways back but just in case: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=107952

Cary Falk
07-17-2010, 11:40 AM
cary...that is an elegantly simple design. beautiful! what size BS is it supporting?

That's a G0513X2.

Cary Falk
07-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Cary -- agree, that is a nice solution. However, one question: why not just attach the casters direction to the saw base? It looks like you're gaining a couple of inches in width for stability, but in the direction less likely to be a problem? And you raise the table height, no? Just curious why you did it that way...

The base is hollow underneith. The wheels would not rotate if I connected to the base. I chose to support it on the longest side instead of the shortest because I get the most support. The saw is very stable.

scott vroom
07-17-2010, 2:32 PM
For $62 I'll pass on making a homemade base:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Heavy-Duty-Mobile-Base/G7314Z

Maik Tobin
07-17-2010, 3:17 PM
;)
For $62 I'll pass on making a homemade base:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Heavy-Duty-Mobile-Base/G7314Z

Careful, that base does not fit. I have a 513x2B on order and was told that no Griz base works for this saw.

Dan Karachio
07-17-2010, 3:21 PM
Congrats on the saw! Alas, if they only had lift gate service for those with basement shops! :) Those Woodcraft casters cannot be beat, especially if your floor is a little rough.

Mike Goetzke
07-17-2010, 11:56 PM
Thanks for all the help. I didn't expect to but I worked almost all day (including a few trips around town for parts) on the saw. I have a Woodcraft about 30 min. away and called just to see if the had the Shop Fox (I knew they had them a few years back). It was my lucky day - they had one and it was on clearance for $50! My sons and I assembled the base about three times till we got the optimal setup for a narrow storage area and stability. Only issue with the saw was that I had to move the trunnion assembly because the lower roller supports were way off center. This was quite a choir since I needed to make a special hex tool that I could turn with a socket wrench. I tried cutting some samples but I'll wait till I get a real blade to really try the saw out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Grizzly%20G0513X2/IMG_1039.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/My%20Tools/Grizzly%20G0513X2/IMG_1027.jpg

scott vroom
07-18-2010, 12:28 AM
;)

Careful, that base does not fit. I have a 513x2B on order and was told that no Griz base works for this saw.

Actually, it's a Shop Fox base and it's shown as an accessory on the G0513X2 page: http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-Bandsaw-2HP-w-Cast-Iron-Trunnion/G0513X2

eugene thomas
07-18-2010, 3:28 PM
I just bought that same saw month ago but with motor break. my fence is different though.

Steven Hsieh
07-18-2010, 5:28 PM
Mike. I'm curious how did you get it on to the mobile base?

Thanks

John Mark Lane
07-18-2010, 5:36 PM

Thanks

You know, I was just wondering that same thing. As someone about to take delivery of a similar sized saw, I was trying to envision the process of lifting the beast onto a mobile base....

Mike Goetzke
07-18-2010, 7:47 PM
I just bought that same saw month ago but with motor break. my fence is different though.

Motor brake would have been nice - this thing runs for a while after it's turned off. The fence is my almost new Driftmaster.

Mike

Brian Effinger
07-18-2010, 10:31 PM
Congrats on the saw, Mike. I finally got my 513 set up a few weeks ago and love it. So much better than the cheap 9" delta I had before.

Thanks

I have mine on the rockler base, and was able to get it on there myself. I unbolted the machine from the pallet and just walked it onto the base which was parked right next to it. Just took my time and everything went smoothly.

Eiji Fuller
07-18-2010, 11:36 PM
Nice saw and DM fence! I was considering a G0531 but came across a deal on a Felder with 2hrs of use.
Let us know how you like the DM. Looks much better on the new saw BTW:)

Steven Hsieh
07-18-2010, 11:46 PM
I have mine on the rockler base, and was able to get it on there myself. I unbolted the machine from the pallet and just walked it onto the base which was parked right next to it. Just took my time and everything went smoothly.

Wait, you let it slide down to the base?

I amaze at how people can do it by themselve.

Mike Goetzke
07-18-2010, 11:50 PM
Hsieh[/LEFT];1470264]Mike. I'm curious how did you get it on to the mobile base?

Thanks

I had a 2x6 about 3' long laid it across the middle of the base. This made it about identical height to the pallet the saw was on. I had the help of my two sons and walked it over the base, tilted back so they could remove the board, and set her down (I did this with my Uni a few years back all by myself).

Mike

Mike Goetzke
07-18-2010, 11:54 PM
Nice saw and DM fence! I was considering a G0531 but came across a deal on a Felder with 2hrs of use.
Let us know how you like the DM. Looks much better on the new saw BTW:)

Ha, you noticed. Actually I was terrible at resawing till I bought the Driftmaster. I liked the results so much I bought a bigger BS. I have some new blades on order and can't wait to try them out.

Mike

Duane Calvin
07-19-2010, 1:21 AM
Wow, that makes my new Grizzly 555 look so dinky. I was going to warn you against the Shop Fox - I picked one up at Griz when I bought the BS, but one corner turned out 3/16" higher than the other three. Griz tried to order a replacement corner piece, but it was backordered. I went ahead and just put washers between the offending outrigger and the caster so at least it sits level now. But, really, your saw looks great!

Cary Falk
07-19-2010, 6:40 AM
I had a 2x6 about 3' long laid it across the middle of the base. This made it about identical height to the pallet the saw was on. I had the help of my two sons and walked it over the base, tilted back so they could remove the board, and set her down (I did this with my Uni a few years back all by myself).

Mike

I have moved many things like this. It's not to bad if you plan ahead. I put all of my tools in mobile bases by myself. I unloaded most of them out of the truck by myself using ramps, levers, steps, etc.

Mitchell Garnett
07-19-2010, 4:33 PM
I amaze at how people can do it by themselve.

Facing a similar problem when I bought a 513x2 a month or so ago, and still recovering from rotator cuff surgery, I bought a 1 ton hydraulic lift from Harbor Freight with a 20% off coupon. That was cheaper than getting 4 "undocumented workers" from the local HD parking lot.

I had SWMBO standing by in case the BS starting swaying when I lifted it enough to get it off the skid but it went very smoothly.

Of course now I have to decide to store or sell the lift.

Mike Goetzke
07-28-2010, 8:57 PM
Just have to vent a little - not do to madness but anxiousness. First the lower trunnion assembly had to be shifted to true the lower guide bearings. Not a big deal but I had to make a special tool to get at the socked head cap screw between the trunnions loose. Then I found the cast top on the saw had a step at the blade split that could stop a sharp edge board. Grizzly sent me a new table in 2 days. I removed the old table, de-cosmolened & treated the new cast top and was ready to apply it when I realized it was too large. Probably for their 19" saw:(. Waiting for the second replacement. I received my Resaw King blades and can't wait to test this puppy out.

Mike

Van Huskey
07-28-2010, 10:58 PM

The fence in the picture on Mike's is a Laguna Driftmaster fence, the creme de la creme of resaw fences. Laguna sometimes offers them for ~$300 in the Deals and Discounts forum.

http://www.lagunatools.com/accessories/bandsaw-fences/bandsaw-driftmaster;jsessionid=0a0110501f438daf69ec66954a5 f9131907cfd0d6c53.e3eSc3aPaxmLe34Pa38Ta38Oa3j0

Ruhi Arslan
07-29-2010, 10:29 AM
I was just about to ask the advantage/benefit of the brake. Under what circumstances it would be nice to have the brake? Being patient would be a cheaper substitute for the brake in general?

glenn bradley
07-29-2010, 11:16 AM
Being patient would be a cheaper substitute for the brake in general?

In general yes, IMHO. Not all cuts are clean rips with no need to quickly return to the blade area. There are times when I want to do things near the blade after a cut but, not 5 minutes from now :D. In those cases I wait for the blade to stop as I do not feel it is safe to work around a moving blade. In those cases a brake would be nice. If I ran into that sort of situation often, a brake would be worth a little money :).

Mike Goetzke
08-04-2010, 9:53 PM
Just have to vent a little - not do to madness but anxiousness. First the lower trunnion assembly had to be shifted to true the lower guide bearings. Not a big deal but I had to make a special tool to get at the socked head cap screw between the trunnions loose. Then I found the cast top on the saw had a step at the blade split that could stop a sharp edge board. Grizzly sent me a new table in 2 days. I removed the old table, de-cosmolened & treated the new cast top and was ready to apply it when I realized it was too large. Probably for their 19" saw:(. Waiting for the second replacement. I received my Resaw King blades and can't wait to test this puppy out.

Mike

Success! Second table replacement is perfect. I'm in business now. Took a little time due to the mix up but Griz CS persistent. Plus UPS tried to invoice me a second time for lift gate service and Griz CS took care of it and must have called me 4-times to keep me up to date.

Mike

Mark Woodmark
08-04-2010, 11:07 PM
Very nice.