PDA

View Full Version : Trouble making breakfast... please help.

Mitchell Andrus
07-17-2010, 8:38 AM
I don't mean to sound totally hopeless here, but I need some guidance from someone.

When I make breakfast I attempt to make it like I see it being done on those TV teaching shows that they put inside the regular TV shows. I use a bowl and a box of yummy serial and milk and a spoon just like on the TV.

If I put the serial on the bowl and put the milk on it, it gets all over the counter. If I put some of the milk on a spoon and then drop some serial onto it it takes longer and tastes good, but it doesn't seem like they do it like that on the TV shows.

I've taken a picture. Maybe you can help.

I also need help changing a washer in the laundry room. The new one is too heavy to lift into the sink... I don't get it. Maybe some help on that one too?

John Coloccia
07-17-2010, 9:19 AM
It's because they use white glue and place every corn flake individually. When they try to do it for real, they make a mess too. You need a dog. It helps with cleaning up the mess.

bob svoboda
07-17-2010, 9:20 AM
Wow, that is a knotty problem. I think the solution is that one of us needs to quit smoking that stuff :D

Ken Fitzgerald
07-17-2010, 9:28 AM
I think it's going to be one of those days Mitch. Don't use anything sharp or pointed today.

Mitchell Andrus
07-17-2010, 9:33 AM
I think it's going to be one of those days Mitch. Don't use anything sharp or pointed today.

I only have spoons to eat with. They took all of the forks.

David G Baker
07-17-2010, 11:14 AM
Looks like a cereal that Mikey didn't like. :D
Did they let you keep your belt?

Bruce Page
07-17-2010, 12:36 PM
And you use power tools? :eek:
:D

Mitchell Andrus
07-17-2010, 12:40 PM
And you use power tools? :eek:
:D

Only when I attempt to make lunch.

Mike Cruz
07-17-2010, 1:43 PM
Serial, huh? So, you put a bunch of these flake things in a row?

If you let the cereal sit and get soggy enough on the table, you might be able to use one of those new fangled straw gismos to zup up your breakfast...:D

Belinda Barfield
07-17-2010, 4:19 PM
Y'all just need to be a little patient with Mitchell. He's just special, bless his heart. There aren't a lot of things to do in the cereal offenders home so he has to amuse himself as best he can.

Mitchell, sweetie, go and organize your closet. It will take your mind off of your serial issues.

Lloyd Kerry
07-17-2010, 7:55 PM
You need a dog AND a woman! :rolleyes:

Mitchell Andrus
07-17-2010, 8:23 PM
You need a dog AND a woman! :rolleyes:

My woman's in NJ for another month.... but I've got a cat.

Close enough?

Mitchell Andrus
07-17-2010, 8:31 PM
Y'all just need to be a little patient with Mitchell. He's just special, bless his heart. There aren't a lot of things to do in the cereal offenders home so he has to amuse himself as best he can.

Mitchell, sweetie, go and organize your closet. It will take your mind off of your serial issues.

My wife claimed the majority of the walk-in closet. She walked in and claimed it.

I've discovered 3 new ways to stack my socks so they don't fall over. ALSO.... GOOD NEWS..... I've found these self-contained cereal bar things at the big food building.

Now I just need to figure out how to pour the milk into the wrapper without spilling it. Maybe I need some thicker milk - like in a tube also.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-17-2010, 8:41 PM
Mitch,

My wife left on July 8th and won't be back until August 5.

I have a real irony to tell about that and it would be great example of the "luck of the Irish"!

Mitchell Andrus
07-17-2010, 8:53 PM
Mitch,

My wife left on July 8th and won't be back until August 5.

I have a real irony to tell about that and it would be great example of the "luck of the Irish"!

That would be odd .... I though you were Italian.

Ted Calver
07-17-2010, 9:08 PM
My wife refuses to leave. Whats your secret???

Greg Peterson
07-17-2010, 9:16 PM
Bowls require an intermediate skill level. I suggest using a plate (round and somewhat flat) until you get the hang of it.

Brian Effinger
07-17-2010, 9:25 PM
Maybe I need some thicker milk - like in a tube also.

Just leave a quart in the fridge for a few months and it will take on a nice thick consistency.

BTW, I think they call that cottage cheese. ;):rolleyes::D

Mitchell Andrus
07-17-2010, 9:37 PM
Bowls require an intermediate skill level. I suggest using a plate (round and somewhat flat) until you get the hang of it.

Ah.... tried those flat-bowls a while ago with some tomato soup. Made one heckofa mess.

John Schreiber
07-17-2010, 9:43 PM
Just a quick question based on the picture. Does your wife put the glasses and dishes in the cabinet upside down? You may find your solution by studying that issue. Keep in mind that the orange juice and milk in the refrigerator are almost certainly stored right side up.

By the way, merry Christmas to you.

Mitchell Andrus
07-17-2010, 11:41 PM
Just a quick question based on the picture. Does your wife put the glasses and dishes in the cabinet upside down? You may find your solution by studying that issue. Keep in mind that the orange juice and milk in the refrigerator are almost certainly stored right side up.

By the way, merry Christmas to you.

Oh, my..... that's it. My mom stored everything so it caught the dust.

Problem solved, only took 27 years to figure that out. No more eating in the shadows hidden from the prying eyes of those who would mock me. .....Laughing at my unfortunate encumbrance. Giggling.... giggling.... Taunting. They will regret their ways.

Well!

... Tomorrow, we tackle that pineapple upside-down cake recipe again. Maybe with a little luck....

David Cefai
07-19-2010, 2:11 AM
If I put the serial on the bowl and put the milk on it, it gets all over the counter.

You have probably been watching Australian TV. Since they are upside down you have to rotate everything 180 degrees for it to work in our hemisphere.

Lee Schierer
07-19-2010, 8:31 AM

I think he needs to switch to eating grits.......

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-19-2010, 9:18 AM
you are doing it right.
The best way to use the bowl is what you did there because it prevents the milk from getting the cereal soggy.
Same with them milk in the glass. All those calories are against the new BMI index laws that are being promulgated and will only subject you to a whole slew of taxes to offset the injury all that blubber will do to the common good, or some other pointless super ethical line of logic.

So all in all you are spot on.

Mitchell Andrus
07-19-2010, 9:35 AM
I think he needs to switch to eating grits.......

Uggggh. GRITS!

I've tried.... I've yet to have grits that don't feel like beach sand mixed into Cream of Wheat.

<New Jersey boy ducking for cover>

Mitchell Andrus
07-19-2010, 9:38 AM
You have probably been watching Australian TV. Since they are upside down you have to rotate everything 180 degrees for it to work in our hemisphere.

Oh... No you don't David. Can't fool me again on that one.

I stood on my head and everything went up my nose. Oh, no.... Can't fool me twice.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-19-2010, 9:54 AM
David,

5 years in the Deep South. I tried grits every possible way you can eat them. I finally found a method I can handle.

While driving down the highway, find any and all road kill. Doesn't matter what it is or how long it has been there, you need it. The longer it has been there, the softer it will be and the more flavor it wil provide for those grits. This is important David as you are well aware.

Take the road kill and place it in a cast iron skillet or pot. Salt and pepper the road kill and cover with water. Bring to a boil and keep it at a rolling boil for about 45 minutes.

Now add the grits and 1/4 lb. of butter. Reduce heat and allow it to cook for another 30 minutes.

At this point, separate the road kill from the grits. Throw out the grits and eat the road kill.

It works well with possum, racoon, muskrat, badger, groundhog, squirrel and field mice. I'll bet it will work with roadkill venison too!

Belinda Barfield
07-19-2010, 10:10 AM
I never met a grit I didn't like! :D

Actually, that isn't true. I can't stand the instant grits that come in the little paper packets. I also don't like grits prepared at most restaurants. If I cook them I love grits! Yummy, Yummy in my tummy! Especially cheese grits or shrimp and grits. Grits, smoked sausage that my cousin makes and sells, and scrambled eggs - all smushed together (just use the tabletop, Mitchell). Too bad I started a diet this morning!

Dan Hintz
07-19-2010, 11:02 AM
Reminds me of a neighbor when I was a young'un... he wasn't the sharpest tack in the drawer. My brother (4 years older than me) was known for his cooking skills, even at the young age of 12. (Man, even thinking NOW how young everyone was and trying to cook, we must have been mental!)

The tack, a couple of years my brother's senior, came over in a tizzy one day exclaiming his oven was on fire. When my brother went to find out what happened and discovered a lot of smoke roiling out of the oven. It seems this bright bulb wished to recreate my brother's yummy peanut butter cookie recipe... by slapping a number of scoops of peanut butter onto a cookie sheet and cranking up the stove. The sheet was one of those types that had a missing side, and when the PB melted, it dripped off of the sheet's edge and onto the heating element. Viola! Instant smoke.

Mitchell Andrus
07-19-2010, 11:27 AM
I get it now!!!

The grits are to cover whatever is stuck to the plate from the week before so you don't notice.

Clever southerners, I'll tell ya. In the noth, we just place our dishes in the dishwasher and add SOAP.

Belinda Barfield
07-19-2010, 11:34 AM
My wife refuses to leave. Whats your secret???

Feed her grits?

David G Baker
07-19-2010, 11:41 AM
I discovered grits late in life and found that if they are fixed according to the instructions on the box I really like them. Wouldn't want them as a steady diet though.

Belinda Barfield
07-19-2010, 11:56 AM
I discovered grits late in life and found that if they are fixed according to the instructions on the box I really like them. Wouldn't want them as a steady diet though.

Horse feathers! I never follow the instructions on the box. The instructions on the box don't tell you to add half and half or milk 3/4 of the cooking process, nor do they tell you to add extra sharp cheddar cheese. :)

Don Alexander
07-19-2010, 12:03 PM
I've yet to have grits that don't feel like beach sand mixed into Cream of Wheat

what he said x100 or maybe x1000

didya ever notice that the folks who "like" grits almost always have them smothered in something that actually has some flavor? :D:D:D:D

Belinda Barfield
07-19-2010, 12:17 PM
didya ever notice that the folks who "like" grits almost always have them smothered in something that actually has some flavor? :D:D:D:D

Like mashed potatoes? They always seemed to be smothered with something else. :D

Actually I also like just plain old grits with butter.

David G Baker
07-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Me too, with butter.

Jim Rimmer
07-19-2010, 1:27 PM
Horse feathers! I never follow the instructions on the box. The instructions on the box don't tell you to add half and half or milk 3/4 of the cooking process, nor do they tell you to add extra sharp cheddar cheese. :)
This comment supports what I tell LOML about grits. Everyone says they are great if you cook them right. That means adding butter, honey, potatoes, jelly, peanut butter, anything you can find that will hide the taste (or lack thereof) of the grits. I really like grits, though. They come in handy for patching cracks in drywall and work well for that final sanding on your WW'ing project.

Mitchell Andrus
07-19-2010, 1:32 PM
This comment supports what I tell LOML about grits. Everyone says they are great if you cook them right. That means adding butter, honey, potatoes, jelly, peanut butter, anything you can find that will hide the taste (or lack thereof) of the grits. I really like grits, though. They come in handy for patching cracks in drywall and work well for that final sanding on your WW'ing project.

I'm thinking grits are like rice. They work more as a base for the food you really intend to eat rather than being the main feature.

Close?

Rod Sheridan
07-19-2010, 1:49 PM
[QUOTE=Belinda Williamson;1470699]I never met a grit I didn't like! :D

QUOTE]

Belinda, I thought political discussions were taboo at SMC!

Not only are you discussing Grits, you're eating them:eek:

Where I come from that would be cannibalism:D.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. Next time I'm down south I'll try grits again, maybe I just had a bad restaurant experience with them.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-19-2010, 2:00 PM
[QUOTE=Belinda Williamson;1470699]I never met a grit I didn't like! :D

QUOTE]

Belinda, I thought political discussions were taboo at SMC!

Not only are you discussing Grits, you're eating them:eek:

Where I come from that would be cannibalism:D.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. Next time I'm down south I'll try grits again, maybe I just had a bad restaurant experience with them.

In my 5 years of living in the Deep South Rod, I had 121 bad restaurant experiences with grits. The funny thing is, everything else on the menus tasted fine!:confused: Boiled okra is the other exception. Have you ever noticed how both plain grits and boiled okra look like the glue you used in kindergarten or for hanging wallpaper?

Rod Sheridan
07-19-2010, 2:25 PM
Ken, I have to admit that I had that suspicion about grits and okra, however I thought maybe it was just me.

Glad to hear I'm not alone................Regards, Rod.

Zach England
07-19-2010, 2:38 PM
Are "grits" the same thing as polenta?

Belinda Barfield
07-19-2010, 2:58 PM
[QUOTE=Rod Sheridan;1470862]
Boiled okra is the other exception. Have you ever noticed how both plain grits and boiled okra look like the glue you used in kindergarten or for hanging wallpaper?

Grits and boiled peanuts are foods for which you have to acquire a taste. I hated grits when I was growing up. My mother's grits are akin to watery sand.

Boiled okra? BLECK!!!!! That has to be the slimiest vegetable in the world. Sliced, with an egg wash, coated in cornmeal and fried - that's the only sensible way to eat okra.

Myk Rian
07-19-2010, 3:09 PM
Have you ever noticed how both plain grits and boiled okra look like the glue you used in kindergarten or for hanging wallpaper?
Hey, that school glue was good.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-19-2010, 3:16 PM

You survived it too?:confused::rolleyes:

Rod Sheridan
07-19-2010, 3:33 PM
Are "grits" the same thing as polenta?

Nope, a "Grit" is a member of the Liberal party, a "Tory" is a member of the Conservative party.

Bostonians I believe are members of the Tea Party, although I may be mistaken since it happened before I was born. (Although not according to my kids who think I'm on a first name basis with Fred Flintstone).

Regards, Rod.

Don Alexander
07-19-2010, 4:04 PM
butter ............... thats how ilike my mashed potatoes :D

Mitchell Andrus
07-19-2010, 4:08 PM

We had a kid in class who would eat a worm on a dare.

Hmmmmm... Grits / worms... That's a tough one. I'll eat the grits, thanks. Maybe they aren't the WORST thing on the planet.

Mitchell Andrus
07-19-2010, 4:12 PM
butter ............... thats how ilike my mashed potatoes :D

Is this Sawmill Kitchen?

Don. Next time add 1.5 tablespoons of ranch salad dressing per serving to the mashed taters. Optional: Toss in some bacon bits.

Don Alexander
07-19-2010, 4:15 PM
hehe i like them that way too :D:D

Dan Hintz
07-19-2010, 5:07 PM
Mmmmmm, boiled peaaaaanuuuuts.... now thems some good eatin'! Acquired a taste for those as a young'un in Florida... peanut boil and fish fry every summer from my dad's work.

Gary Kvasnicka
07-19-2010, 5:14 PM
I love GRITS, (Girls Raised In The South). I married one, the only thing she can't cook is grits. She makes great fried chicken and biscuits and buttermilk pie. I think I know why I weight 265:eek:

Belinda Barfield
07-19-2010, 5:23 PM
I love GRITS, (Girls Raised In The South). I married one, the only thing she can't cook is grits. She makes great fried chicken and biscuits and buttermilk pie. I think I know why I weight 265:eek:

Got the hat and the T-shirt! If yore woman can make good fried chicken, biscuits AND buttermilk pie you got yoreself a KEEPER, son!

Girls Raised in the South will seriously whup some butt of girls raised anywhere else. :D Oh, wait, I'm wrong about that . . . that would be unladylike and GRITS are always, no matter the situation, ladies. (unless you bring out our truly Jack Daniels drinkin', heck raisin', tailgate sittin', BBQ eatin', biscuit bakin' redneck side. Then we fight like we mean it! But it is rare for us to lose control.)

P.S. What time's supper?

Gary Kvasnicka
07-19-2010, 5:53 PM
Got the hat and the T-shirt! If yore woman can make good fried chicken, biscuits AND buttermilk pie you got yoreself a KEEPER, son!

I have been hanging on with all I have for the last 26+ years. I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world.....most times.;)

Rod Sheridan
07-19-2010, 8:52 PM

Girls Raised in the South will seriously whup some butt of girls raised anywhere else. :D Oh, wait, I'm wrong about that . . . that would be unladylike and GRITS are always, no matter the situation, ladies. (unless you bring out our truly Jack Daniels drinkin', heck raisin', tailgate sittin', BBQ eatin', biscuit bakin' redneck side. Then we fight like we mean it! But it is rare for us to lose control.)

P.S. What time's supper?

Geez Belinda, once again you've made my day.:D

If I ever make it to your town I'll give you a shout and try Jack Daniels with you...............Regards, Rod.

Jim Rimmer
07-19-2010, 8:55 PM
[QUOTE=Rod Sheridan;1470862]

Boiled okra is the other exception. Have you ever noticed how both plain grits and boiled okra look like the glue you used in kindergarten or for hanging wallpaper?
There are two uses for okra (3 if you count feeding it to the pigs) - fried okra, a real treat, and as a filler for gumbo. Boiled is even disgusting to look at. :eek:

Jim Rimmer
07-19-2010, 8:58 PM
Mmmmmm, boiled peaaaaanuuuuts.... now thems some good eatin'! Acquired a taste for those as a young'un in Florida... peanut boil and fish fry every summer from my dad's work.
Boiled peanuts taste like pinto beans. It's much easier to just eat the pintos. I really think some Southern entrepeneurs were drinking one day and came up with the idea to get rid of the left over peanut harvest. "Hey, if we boil these and set up some roadside stands, the Yankees will think they are a Southern treat and buy them up!" It worked.

Brian Effinger
07-19-2010, 11:27 PM

I'm thinking there are a lot of people here who ate (or sniffed) the glue. ;):p Maybe recently. :D

(There also seems to be quite a few over in that swirling vortex of a sub forum.)

At least they all keep life interesting (to say the least), and me smiling. And that is a good thing after a long day, and several weeks, of work. :)

Belinda Barfield
07-20-2010, 7:17 AM
Geez Belinda, once again you've made my day.:D

If I ever make it to your town I'll give you a shout and try Jack Daniels with you...............Regards, Rod.

Happy to oblige, sir. You don't technically qualify as a Yankee, so I believe I could, in a very ladylike manner, sip just a wee bit of Jack with you. Come on down! There's always a bottle in the freezer. :)

Rod Sheridan
07-20-2010, 7:29 AM
Happy to oblige, sir. You don't technically qualify as a Yankee, so I believe I could, in a very ladylike manner, sip just a wee bit of Jack with you. Come on down! There's always a bottle in the freezer. :)

Belinda, I've been mistaken for a Yankee many times when in the south, however as you point out, I'm not. (I'm not sure why since it's not me with the accent:D).

Thanks for the offer, if I'm ever there I'll take you up on it.

As for the JD in the freezer, are you kidding or is this some sort of test?

Regards, Rod.

Mitchell Andrus
07-20-2010, 7:48 AM
Belinda, I've been mistaken for a Yankee many times when in the south, however as you point out, I'm not. (I'm not sure why since it's not me with the accent:D).

Regards, Rod.

It's a test. In the south, that bottle is always emptied before it gets home. The "bottle in the freezer" is a phrase tossed out to show off the fact that there is 'lectrik in the house. To REALLY show upward mobility, the freezer is not out on the front porch - anymore.

<donning fire suit>

Belinda Barfield
07-20-2010, 8:09 AM

Regards, Rod.

Not a test. I could share a long and convoluted story about that. . . LOL. Actually everyone in the south doesn't keep their Jack in the freezer. I do because of the heat down here. Cold Jack doesn't melt your ice as quickly. Not that I would start drinking at 5:30 a.m., but this morning at that time it was 81 with 94% humidity. (I have, however, stopped drinking at that time.);)

It's a test. In the south, that bottle is always emptied before it gets home. The "bottle in the freezer" is a phrase tossed out to show off the fact that there is 'lectrik in the house. To REALLY show upward mobility, the freezer is not out on the front porch - anymore.

<donning fire suit>

Mitchell, you are pert near close to gettin' me riled up! In the South we always have a back up bottle. I do have 'lectrik but I don't have a front porch. I'm fixin' to get a bar refrigerator for the bar on the back deck though.

Wayne Hendrix
07-20-2010, 4:19 PM
...Not that I would start drinking at 5:30 a.m., but this morning at that time it was 81 with 94% humidity. (I have, however, stopped drinking at that time.);)...

The issue here, in my mind, is not that you would start drinking at 5:30 am but that you were up at 5:30 am to note the temperature.

David Weaver
07-20-2010, 4:23 PM
The problem is clearly that the bowl is improperly made. If the lip on the bottom was bigger - like 2 or 3 inches high, there would've been no problem.

The designer of the bowl should've seen this coming and made a bowl with two tops.

I'd sue.

Belinda Barfield
07-20-2010, 4:57 PM
The issue here, in my mind, is not that you would start drinking at 5:30 am but that you were up at 5:30 am to note the temperature.

LOL . . . I was checking the weather forecast before I walked out the door to go to work. Come to think of it, that is an issue.

Rod Sheridan
07-21-2010, 8:28 AM

<donning fire suit>

Oh boy, now I'm laughing..............Thanks, Rod.