PDA

View Full Version : Color of phenolic out-feed table/work bench

Brian Deakin
07-17-2010, 6:40 AM
I plan to build a dual purpose out-feed table/work bench.For the top I will be using phenolic faced plywood

My question
Does anyone have any experience/thoughts on what color of phenolic to choose

Example would white be the best choice because of the contrast it provides or would the relfection from the surface present problems

regards Brian

Peter Quinn
07-17-2010, 6:49 AM
Anything except red works for me. I like to know right away if I'm bleeding. I have used white, blue, and a sort of tan color. Not much difference to my eyes.

Don Morris
07-17-2010, 8:20 AM
Peter's response sounds good to me. I've got a speckled white and that show up most woods well.

John A. Schaefer
07-17-2010, 8:42 AM
My out-feed/workbench is white. I've never had a problem with glare or reflection.

David Helm
07-17-2010, 10:10 AM
The only phenolic I've been able to find locally are the concrete forms. They made a great miter saw station and are a pale green.

michael osadchuk
07-17-2010, 11:33 AM
The colour of the laminate I used on my tablesaw side table is light grey (lighter that battleship grey) and the colour has worked out well - no glare with overhead lights, sufficient contrast for a small screw to not be hidden, etc.

It's also a personality thing, you don't want to use a colour you don't like even if it's technically the the best.

good luck

michael

Jim Becker
07-18-2010, 6:19 PM
Personally, I use white/ivory for laminate surfaces in the shop for better light reflection, etc.

Brian Deakin
07-26-2010, 1:39 PM
Thank you to everyone that has taken the time to reply I have been away on holiday for a week so I was unable to respond

regards Brian

Van Huskey
07-26-2010, 10:56 PM
Although, I have not seen phenolic in black I prefer it (as laminate) for outfeed tables. For a large surface I prefer the micro-dot laminate over phenolic, I find the friction to be lower than phenolic and is more durable.

Eric DeSilva
07-27-2010, 12:53 PM
Although, I have not seen phenolic in black I prefer it (as laminate) for outfeed tables. For a large surface I prefer the micro-dot laminate over phenolic, I find the friction to be lower than phenolic and is more durable.

The Winform (sp?) stuff I bought from Whitecap was black phenolic if you really want to find some... Ugly black, but black nonetheless.