PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good wood filler for cherry.

Greg Plowman
07-17-2010, 12:01 AM
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good wood filler for cherry that will accept aniline dye?

Eiji Fuller
07-17-2010, 12:58 AM
The problem with filling cherry is that even if you get a good color match the cherry will darken but the filler will not.
That said the famowood red oak is a good match to start. If you are filling nail holes then I like fastcap wax filler after finish.
If it's furniture grade than you shouldn't be using nails. Knot holes, worm holes and other defects I like to use clear epoxy.

Greg Hawthorne
07-17-2010, 7:21 AM
A simple filler for small defects is shellac. I melt it in with a soldering iron and sand smooth. Its advantages are that it dries quickly, sands easily, and does not leach into the surrounding wood.

Robert LaPlaca
07-17-2010, 9:05 AM
I am with Greg on this one.

I used shellac 'burn-in' sticks for brad holes, fill the holes before finishing using a burn-in stick slightly lighter the color of the finished product, because the normal finishing process will darken the color slightly.. For bigger defects I have used kneadable epoxy..

Steve Griffin
07-17-2010, 10:38 PM
I almost always choose epoxy with black ink color. It matches the dark streaks in cherry well. Sometimes I just use regular dark wood filler if black doesn't seem like a good choice.

Of course the best thing to do is be a good precision woodworker who doesn't need to use filler very often. And until I achieve that, I always like to err on the side of "too dark" with fillers.

-Steve

Jim Becker
07-18-2010, 6:17 PM
In general, you will be best served by filling holes and voids with slivers of the same cherry you are working with. Any other form of shop-made or commercial filler is never going to look the same as the wood and will never take color in the same way as the wood. (And many of us don't color cherry, anyway...)

Joe Chritz
07-18-2010, 9:23 PM
The best filler is more cherry. All others are a compromise of some kind. It really depends on how visible and large the area is.

As mentioned, even if you get a good match with something like epoxy now it won't necessarily match a year or two down the road.

Joe

Scott Holmes
07-18-2010, 10:59 PM
I don't recommend coloring cherry...

So I have a few questions...

Why are you using dye on the cherry? Is it sapwood? What color are you wanting when finished? What is the project?

John alder
07-23-2010, 7:58 AM
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good wood filler for cherry that will accept aniline dye?
I was going to post a similar question and thought I would add it here.John
All the filler I've made with saw dust and glue hasn't taken stain very well it always resists the stain and does not result in a good finish match of the wood.Is there a special glue out there to use for better results?If not whats a good wood filler on the market and how do you use it?Perhaps pre staining the filler before applying It ??