PDA

View Full Version : ID-Mark Photo Resist - Anyone using it?

AL Ursich
07-16-2010, 9:25 PM
As part of the 200 things I am getting by signing up for 6 Free Issues of the Engraving Journal was a email from

http://www.horizonsisg.com/images/stories/isg/docs/idmark/idmark-brochure.pdf

This is pretty interesting stuff..... Anyone Using IT?

Back in my Navy Days going back to 1984 when my Ship was in the Philly Ship Yard I saw a similar process being done....

The Shipyard guys made Aluminum Tags that were brushed Aluminum with Black Letters. They made Shipboard 2 x 4 inch tags to mark each door and hatch.

They made the artwork on a computer and printed it on a laser printer.

They placed a green film and the laser paper inside a UV Exposure unit.

Exposed it and wiped the film with water to remove the waste. Or was it DNA?

Used the film then applied to the thin Aluminum and back into the exposure unit. Clear areas were text and art.

More water wipe and they had a tag.... Into a spray booth for some clear coat and double sided tape on the back and ship it....

This looks like the same stuff but with more colors.....

Pretty Cool..... With a Over lam they are calling it UV Resistant to some point....

I searched but did not see it as a topic....

Could fill a small sign need.... A Value Added Product....

AL

Here is a Video..... http://www.horizonsisg.com/idmark/the-idmark-process.html

Over on Eng Etc the subject of Shelf Life has come up on the resist.... Good Point...

Mike Null
07-16-2010, 11:31 PM
Al

I visited their plant a few years ago and I like the process but there's too much equipment and, for me, very little call for it.

I would prefer Metalphoto but it is also expensive from an equipment standpoint. Also a Horizons process.

AL Ursich
07-16-2010, 11:48 PM
What got me ALL Excited is that I am active with the Adams Class Navy Tin Can Museum group and was looking for this process to help with the Display Ship when it finally happens in Jacksonville, Fla.

CLTT, Sublimation and now this will cover most of the options....

Compartment and Hatch marking plates.... Frame/Compartment Number and Hatch Numbers.

AL

Viktor Voroncov
07-17-2010, 2:09 AM
Many of my customers use this process for industrial identifications. Really durable, good profits, repeatable orders. Here in Europe some manufacturer even input in technical drawings requirements for tags MADE BY METALPHOTO TECHNOLOGY.

Mike Null
07-17-2010, 8:46 AM
Al

Viktor is correct. I have seen Metalphoto used in similar applications and it is uv stable. I do use Metalphoto from time to time.

You can contact printing@metalphotodotcom for pretty good pricing until you decide to invest in the equipment.

Bill Cunningham
07-18-2010, 9:13 PM
The water wash orange film, used to be distributed by Stewart Superior to be used as a negative when making polymer rubber stamps, it's been around for a long time. I think I still have a sample in a negative box I've had for more than ten years. Never tried it, I was using another type (black) that was processed with a different chemical. Still have lots of it, now that the laser makes most of my stamps.