PDA

View Full Version : Question

Richard Gillespie
07-16-2010, 6:10 PM
Which is better and why? Is Citric acid or electrolysis better for removing rust from old tools? Hope I haven't started something.

Jim Koepke
07-16-2010, 7:15 PM
I have not used electrolysis, but it is easy to see how it might be better in some ways.

I usually use a weak citric acid bath. The items get left over night.

John A. Callaway is using a bit stronger bath than is my practice and it looks like his is going pretty fast.

Then, it probably depends on what makes it better, ease of set up, speed or how deep it cleans.

Electrolysis may be able to do a deeper cleaning and also remove more of the japanning, but a citric bath is easier to set up. Then again, finding washing soda may be easier than finding dry citric acid.

So, it all depends.

jim

Dale Coons
07-16-2010, 8:41 PM
I've use it a few times. Works great for things that will fit in your 'tank' in my case a 5 gallon bucket. One problem with it is that if the whole item won't fit, you'll get a line across the part that was at the surface of the water. I have a hand saw blade that has such a line across it. Obviously doesn't affect use, but for appearance you'll want to make sure the whole item goes in the drink. I've heard you can do sawblades by putting them in a towel and keeping it soaked with washing soda solution, but haven't tried it. Make sure you don't use an electrode that has chrome in it--releases poisonous gas. Otherwise no worries. One nice thing is that even if you can't get the rust out of some pitting or deep spots like threads, it all gets converted to the black residue and helps prevent further rust. Also, electrolysis will not remove japanning that is stuck to unrusted surfaces.

Overall, I'd say it's a good method to use if you've got a fair amount to do, I'm not sure its worth the effort for a piece or two. I've recently tried chemical removers and was happy with the results. Got tired of tripping over the electrolysis setup so finally put it on the curb.

Chris Griggs
07-16-2010, 9:47 PM
I've used Evapo-Rust. Removes rust quickly. Non-toxic. Doesn't damage the tool. You can get it a most auto parts stores.