PDA

View Full Version : Thing To Do Near Seattle?

Pat Germain
07-16-2010, 11:08 AM
My wife and I are going to visit our son in Seattle next week. He has lived there for several years and knows the area pretty well. But if it was up to our son, we would spend most of our time at music festivals, of which there are apparently many throughout the Summer.

Therefore, I would appreciate some suggestions for things to do and see which a middle-aged couple like LOML and I would enjoy. Thus far, I'm thinking we'll do the Pikes Market Ghost Tour, the Mount Ranier Railroad, and a visit to Bainbridge Island. Since my wife is along for the trip, camping is out, long hikes are out and long periods of time away from modern bathroom facilities is out.

Thanks!

Warren Johnson
07-16-2010, 11:18 AM
You need to do the Space Needle. Great views of the city. Also, walk along the waterfront to check out the shops and try Ivar's Restaurant.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-16-2010, 11:35 AM
One evening, go to Anacortes and take an evening "milk run" ferry of the San Juan Islands. Incredible sunsets...views etc. Takes a couple hours and it stops at most of the islands.

Rob Steffeck
07-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Do the Underground Seattle Tour in Pioneer Square. http://www.undergroundtour.com/about/index.html

I did it the first time in 1992 and have done it 5 times since. Its much more formal now, but still very interesting. It is legitimately an "underground" tour. There is a labrynth of underground passages / sidewalks that used to be at ground level. Its fun and you learn a lot about the history of Seattle.

Also, if you like music, go to the EMP by the Space Needle. An incredible music museum created by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen. http://www.empsfm.org/

paul cottingham
07-16-2010, 2:00 PM
Come to Victoria for a day or two. The island is beautiful and worth the trip.

Warren Johnson
07-16-2010, 2:06 PM
I'll second the trip to Victoria. Cath the boat in Seattle and leave the driving to the Captain.

David Dockstader
07-16-2010, 2:09 PM
Second on the Underground Tour. Very interesting and made me realize that all the shenanigans that go on around Chicago and Illinois (political, business, and otherwise) apparently happen everywhere. Also found the book "Sons of the Profits," which was written about Seattle, was a fun read.

Pat Germain
07-16-2010, 2:53 PM
Come to Victoria for a day or two. The island is beautiful and worth the trip.

I'd love to, Paul. Alas, my passport is long expired and I haven't yet renewed it.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I had been thinking about the underground tour. I think my son said it's not as good as in the past, for some reason. I'll have to ask him about that again.

My son lives right by the Space Needle. So, doing that and the music museum should be easy. And I'll ask him about Ivor's. He works at the Hard Rock Cafe' and is pretty familiar with local restaurants.

The San Juan ferry sounds great.

Rob Steffeck
07-16-2010, 3:06 PM
I had been thinking about the underground tour. I think my son said it's not as good as in the past, for some reason. I'll have to ask him about that again.

I agree with your son. The tour used to be very informal. You'd pay money to the bartender to go on the tour. You then left for the underground. Things weren't very well lit, you had to watch where you walked, etc. In short, it felt very raw which added to the experience. Now there is a real ticket window, areas are roped off, tour ends at a gift shop, etc. Its just a natural business evolution unfortunately. The content, however, is still just as good. You'll learn things about Seattle that most Seattleites don't know.

Stephen Tashiro
07-16-2010, 4:55 PM
Visit Tashiro's hardware so you can tell me about it. I've never been to Seattle.

Steve Jenkins
07-16-2010, 6:41 PM
If you'd be up for a drive to Bellingham visit The American Musuem of Radio and Electricity. they have items from the beginnings of the study of electricity and through early wireless and broadcast radio. Check out www.Sparkmuseum.com

Joe Pelonio
07-16-2010, 8:37 PM
You need to do the Space Needle. Great views of the city. Also, walk along the waterfront to check out the shops and try Ivar's Restaurant.
Then stop by and see me at work, Pier 69. The Clipper ferry to the San Juans and Victoria is on the side of our building. Ask for me in the lobby.:)

From there you can walk across to the Seattle Art Museum's Sculpture Park.

If you have time, the best of this area is Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic National Forest. It's a ferry to Bainbridge Island, then 2+ hours drive but takes you through the quaint little town of Poulsbo, then Sequim and Port Angeles. Sequim is different in that we get 40+ inches of rain but they rarely get more than 10, in the shadow of the Olympic mountains.

Be careful though, you will pass the exit to the Olympic Music Festival.

Shawn Pixley
07-16-2010, 8:44 PM
Don't live there any more but did for 12 years.you should visit the Northwest Fine Woodworking storefront/shop. Pike place market, pioneer square, ferry ride, experience music project, Seattle center, dusty strings, space needle, Asian art museum, sculpture garden, arboretum, Seattle art museum, hole in the wall barbecue, .... I can go on if you wanted...