PDA

View Full Version : Maple vase with spot burl

Leo Van Der Loo
07-16-2010, 1:20 AM
A piece of Maple that was partly burl got turned :D into a vase, I have just two coats of Polymerized Tung oil on it, I will give it at least one and maybe two more coats and tan let it harden up some more for a week or so before I will polish it, it's too hard to make pictures when the piece is very glossy :eek:

Any and all comments are welcome as always :D

155961 155962 155963 155964

neil mackay
07-16-2010, 3:53 AM
Leo, like the burl aspect, good shape, simple yet appealing.

John Keeton
07-16-2010, 6:52 AM
Leo, that little section of burl really adds to that piece! Really great color.

Fred Perreault
07-16-2010, 7:10 AM
Leo, a gorgeous piece...

Thomas Bennett
07-16-2010, 9:01 AM
As usual, it's perfect. The photos capture the grain, too. Well done!

Josh Bowman
07-16-2010, 9:19 AM
I like it!

Bernie Weishapl
07-16-2010, 9:58 AM
Really a nice piece Leo. That is some pretty wood.

Alan Tolchinsky
07-16-2010, 10:05 AM
That's such a pretty piece Leo!

bob svoboda
07-16-2010, 10:07 AM
Very nice. I really like the shape.

David DeCristoforo
07-16-2010, 11:23 AM
Leo, I just love that. Esp. the way the form begins to close at the top. It's just too cool!

Harvey Ghesser
07-16-2010, 12:03 PM
Gorgeous piece, Leo...just gorgeous!

Richard Madison
07-16-2010, 1:54 PM
Leo, nice job, esp. showing off the burl area.

steven carter
07-16-2010, 2:29 PM
Really nice vase Leo! The burl grain looks great.

Steve

Roger Chandler
07-16-2010, 2:38 PM
Leo, your eye for natural edge forms always seems to get captured just right for each piece you have shown on this forum.

I think that being able to "see" what is in a piece of wood before it is turned and then being able to bring it out is the mark of a true [and experienced] artisan.

You just keep on bringing the "hits," and you inspire all of us to pursue the next treasure out of the wood we have.

Thank you! :)

David E Keller
07-16-2010, 3:01 PM
Very pretty... I like how the burled area seems to erupt upward and extend the form.

Baxter Smith
07-16-2010, 5:16 PM
Great job of orienting the blank to end up with something special Leo! I have a piece of leftover cherry burl that I haven't been able to figure out how to "show off". I will save this picture for that piece! Thanks!:)

Steve Schlumpf
07-16-2010, 5:20 PM
That sure is a pretty little vase! Love the grain in the burl area - and the color variations! I was surprised to find that this was a natural edge - sure adds to the piece!

Very nice work Leo! Hope you are doing well!

Leo Van Der Loo
07-17-2010, 1:21 AM
Leo, like the burl aspect, good shape, simple yet appealing.

Thanks Neil :D, Yes, I do like that bit of burl, kindanice :)

Leo, that little section of burl really adds to that piece! Really great color.

Thank you John :D, yes the color adds to it for now, the red will be muted in a while, though, I hope the wood will get a better color overall, that's the saving grace on this kind of wood ;)

Leo, a gorgeous piece...

Thanks for commenting Fred :D

As usual, it's perfect. The photos capture the grain, too. Well done!

Thanks you Thomas :), I do appreciate it :D

I like it!

Me to ;), Thanks Josh for taking the time to comment :D

Really a nice piece Leo. That is some pretty wood.

Thank you Bernie :D, sometimes even a weed-tree like this has something worthwhile to turn ;)

Leo Van Der Loo
07-17-2010, 1:35 AM
That's such a pretty piece Leo!

Thank you Alan :D

Very nice. I really like the shape.

Thanks for commenting Bob :D

Leo, I just love that. Esp. the way the form begins to close at the top. It's just too cool!

Thank you David :), there isn't much there other than the bit of burl David, Shape is thé most important thing in my book, did work out here I think ;)

Gorgeous piece, Leo...just gorgeous!

Thank you Harvey, I appreciate it :D

Leo, nice job, esp. showing off the burl area.

Thanks Richard :D, there wasn't much else to show ;) :)

Really nice vase Leo! The burl grain looks great.

Thank you Steven :D

Steve

Leo Van Der Loo
07-17-2010, 1:54 AM
Leo, your eye for natural edge forms always seems to get captured just right for each piece you have shown on this forum.

I think that being able to "see" what is in a piece of wood before it is turned and then being able to bring it out is the mark of a true [and experienced] artisan.

You just keep on bringing the "hits," and you inspire all of us to pursue the next treasure out of the wood we have.

Thank you! :)

Thank you for commenting Roger :D, I'm just lucky Roger, it something that comes naturally for me, and I just love turning :)

Very pretty... I like how the burled area seems to erupt upward and extend the form.

Thanks David :D, That's what I was aiming for, as you always have to turn so much of the nicest part of the wood away, I was trying to get a lot from a little, and I yes I like the outcome :)

Great job of orienting the blank to end up with something special Leo! I have a piece of leftover cherry burl that I haven't been able to figure out how to "show off". I will save this picture for that piece! Thanks!:)

Thank you Baxter :D, I hope you will show that Cherry when you get done with it :), burls do lend themselves for being shown at an angle I think, especially if you have some spikes to reach up so to speak :)

Leo Van Der Loo
07-17-2010, 2:03 AM
That sure is a pretty little vase! Love the grain in the burl area - and the color variations! I was surprised to find that this was a natural edge - sure adds to the piece!

Very nice work Leo! Hope you are doing well!

Hi Steve, thank you :), it was just a small piece Steve, I had cut it off from a bigger piece, and so that I would maybe be able to use that small burl, it worked out ;)

Thanks, yes things settled down, and we are all doing OK , just can't understand how I ever managed to have a full time job as well :eek:, I guess you know what I mean ;), yes I'm busy but that's just fine :cool:

Rob Cunningham
07-17-2010, 8:48 AM
Very nice piece Leo. I agree with everything Roger said :)

Leo Van Der Loo
07-17-2010, 3:50 PM
Very nice piece Leo. I agree with everything Roger said :)

Thank you very much for commenting Rob :D

James Combs
07-17-2010, 9:41 PM
A great looking piece. Aside from the outstanding grain it has a kind of found antique look to it, like the bottom section of a broken vase or water jug found in some ancient dig.

Allen Neighbors
07-17-2010, 10:45 PM
Really awesome! Part burl, part heart, totally vase... Nice job! You always do great stuff, Leo.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-18-2010, 1:08 AM
A great looking piece. Aside from the outstanding grain it has a kind of found antique look to it, like the bottom section of a broken vase or water jug found in some ancient dig.

Thank you for your comments James, :D, it's appreciated :)

Leo Van Der Loo
07-18-2010, 1:11 AM
Really awesome! Part burl, part heart, totally vase... Nice job! You always do great stuff, Leo.

Thank you Allan :D, The nice wood did make it easier Allen :) :D

Jeff Nicol
07-18-2010, 5:40 AM
Leo, The burl section reminds me of looking at a mountaion range way off in the distance. With the low side being a smaller mountain inbetween. Sort of what weary travelers would have seen when the first crossed to the west and saw the rocky mountains, and realized......."Is the gold on the other side worth it?"

Great job as always,

Jeff

Roland Martin
07-18-2010, 9:06 AM
That piece of burl had your name written all over it. I think you could turn a pile of sh*$% into art. I really love what you've done with this piece.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-18-2010, 11:48 PM
Leo, The burl section reminds me of looking at a mountaion range way off in the distance. With the low side being a smaller mountain inbetween. Sort of what weary travelers would have seen when the first crossed to the west and saw the rocky mountains, and realized......."Is the gold on the other side worth it?"

Great job as always,

Jeff

Thanks Jeff :D, I had to go back and take another look at it, and yes I think I can see what you see in there :D, but I think it is still a couple of days ride away, before we get there :D ;)
At least that's one of the things I remember when first seeing the Rockies from afar, it took a long time getting there :)

Leo Van Der Loo
07-18-2010, 11:54 PM
That piece of burl had your name written all over it. I think you could turn a pile of sh*$% into art. I really love what you've done with this piece.

Thanks Roland :D, I think you are confusing me with someone else here ;) :), it sure helps if you can start out with a nice chunk of wood to get something we like, I am happy with how it turned out :) :D

Larry Marley
07-19-2010, 12:32 AM
Hi Leo,
I like how the figure is featured in the higher rim.
Very Nice.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-19-2010, 11:54 AM
Hi Leo,
I like how the figure is featured in the higher rim.
Very Nice.

Hi Larry, thanks for your comment :D