PDA

View Full Version : It's here... finally

William Hutchinson
07-15-2010, 11:06 PM
It was ordered during the July 4th sale and arrived shortly thereafter to the freight dock, but my work schedule delayed delivery until today.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/Shop%20Tools/Boxarrives.jpg

I spend the day from mid-afternoon bolting the beast together. I did drill and tap threads for casters. The only trouble was fitting the bed extension to the exact tolerances to allow the tail stock to operate smoothly over the seam. Tomorrow I'll install and longer cord and plug.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/Shop%20Tools/tappingthreadsforcasterbolt.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/Shop%20Tools/casterinstalled.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/Shop%20Tools/turtleonback.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/Shop%20Tools/Latheset-upwithextension.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/Shop%20Tools/headandtailstockaliengment.jpg

Now I got to order some Monster stuff to keep up with Double D.:D

(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/Shop%20Tools/Bowlatheturner.jpg)

John W Dixon
07-15-2010, 11:18 PM
Congratulations, looks like you're ready to have some fun!

John

gary Zimmel
07-15-2010, 11:23 PM
Congrats on getting the mustard beast set up William.
A couple of nights ago I put my bed extension on. Took me way longer to put on than I expected.... So I know what you went through.

Congrats again and happy turning!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-15-2010, 11:28 PM
Congrats William! It's a fine machine and you will enjoy it!

Steve Schlumpf
07-15-2010, 11:31 PM
Congrats on your new lathe! Looks great! Have fun!

David E Keller
07-15-2010, 11:33 PM
Congrats on your new lathe. You're gonna love it.

Alan Trout
07-16-2010, 12:24 AM
Congratulations on the new lathe. I am sure it will be a pleasure to use.

Alan

Bernie Weishapl
07-16-2010, 1:08 AM
Congrats William on a fine lathe. No make some shavings.

John Keeton
07-16-2010, 6:56 AM
William - great looking setup! Just the beginning...."Now I gotta order..." My favorite expression!!;)

"Double D" - I like that!:D But, you won't ever catch up 'till you have an open air shop!

Jason Mikits
07-16-2010, 7:49 AM
Nice!!! Can you tell us where you got those beautiful casters?

Kurt Rosenzweig
07-16-2010, 8:22 AM
You going to love it William! I have $10 that you'll be taking those casters off though. Not trying to be smart but when you start using the full 20" of swing and an unbalanced blank you'll understand what I'm saying. Then again maybe it's just my turning style.

William Hutchinson
07-16-2010, 8:39 AM
Nice!!! Can you tell us where you got those beautiful casters?

The AC-300S casters are rated at 330# each were purchased from here: http://mjvail.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=33&manufacturers_id=1&osCsid=3810dbc9b62b2db1592e7daf28b682d3

..."Double D" - I like that!:D But, you won't ever catch up 'till you have an open air shop!

I thought you cellulose artists called your creative space "studios"!!

BTDT- I once lived on Saddle Bunch Key, near Key West, and my very first shop was under a tarp. Bugs, rain, rust, heat and hurricanes moved me under shelter.

Thomas Bennett
07-16-2010, 8:47 AM
Congratulations on your lathe. I like the casters a lot. If you are tall, you'll want the extra height.
What's with the color, though? You should repaint it blue!

Thom Sturgill
07-16-2010, 8:50 AM
Great machine. I just took a weekend course and used one, so now I have mustard envy!
BTW, I'm only 5' 7" and the mustard was exactly the right height on the levelers. My Jet 1642 is about 4" too high. (Both manuals list the height as 44" though). Those casters are going to raise the machine a couple of inches, so I hope the height is right for you.

Tim Rinehart
07-16-2010, 9:00 AM
You going to love it William! I have $10 that you'll be taking those casters off though. Not trying to be smart but when you start using the full 20" of swing and an unbalanced blank you'll understand what I'm saying. Then again maybe it's just my turning style.

I thought the same thing as you said...then I looked at details on these casters. These aren't cheap casters, and they appear to be able to go stationary with some sort of leveling pad that can drop down.
Am I correct on that William? Hard to get complete details from the link provided, but does look like they can sit solid when needed.

William Hutchinson
07-16-2010, 9:38 AM

Do you mean this shade of blue??

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/bennettturning.jpg

You are a very talented craftsman and it looks like you're having a great time with that blue lathe? :D

bob svoboda
07-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Congratulations and welcome to the Mustard Club. You are going to enjoy the heck out of that machine!

David DeCristoforo
07-16-2010, 11:21 AM
"...I got to order some Monster stuff to keep up with Double D..."

And don't forget... you gotta order a steady from JN and a chuck and a bunch of jaws and some bowl gouges and a sharpening setup and... well... you get the idea.... There's no end to it. Oh yeah, you're gonna need some wood too...

That's a nice lathe for sure. I have the same casters on my PM planer and they are the best. But I wonder about adding that much height to the lathe.

Thomas Bennett
07-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Do you mean this shade of blue??

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/bennettturning.jpg

You are a very talented craftsman and it looks like you're having a great time with that blue lathe? :D

That yellow actually looks pretty good!

William Hutchinson
07-16-2010, 12:50 PM
"...I got to order some Monster stuff to keep up with Double D..."

And don't forget... you gotta order a steady from JN and a chuck and a bunch of jaws and some bowl gouges and a sharpening setup and... well... you get the idea.... There's no end to it. Oh yeah, you're gonna need some wood too...

I have enjoyed your knowledgeable comments on this forum; your brevity and keen wit are always a pleasure to read and ponder.

Chuck, some jaws, sharpening setup, spindle steady, basic tools-- check.

The other stuff-- keeping up with the big dogs is impossible, without first acquiring fundamental skills. I'll sit at the feet of the master and get schooled, then I can determine what tools I actually need for the specific style of turning that I would like to engage. For the immediate future it will be spindle turnings for furniture components.

Now, if I start asking about blue dye and pearls then please arrange an intervention and talk me back down from that ethereal realm of artists and poets.:D

William Hutchinson
07-16-2010, 7:11 PM
I thought the same thing as you said...then I looked at details on these casters. These aren't cheap casters, and they appear to be able to go stationary with some sort of leveling pad that can drop down.
Am I correct on that William? Hard to get complete details from the link provided, but does look like they can sit solid when needed.

You are correct, these casters incorporate a leveling foot that is directly in-line with the bolt in the lathe base. I would venture to say that the support is as good if not better than the stock supports. My small shop dictates that every major tool be mobile, I have to move stuff around to perform certain operations, especially during milling large timber.

Karl Card
07-16-2010, 7:23 PM
Congratulations on your lathe. I like the casters a lot. If you are tall, you'll want the extra height.

I guess if one of those big ole pieces of wood ever come off and hit where they shouldnt then there will be ketchup with the mustard....

Dont even want to talk about where the hot dog fits in...lol

Mike Spanbauer
07-16-2010, 7:41 PM
Tim - 2 vendors basically make the same casters - Zambus and GreatLakeCasters.

Zambus are considered the first / premium versions, but the great lake casters are solid too and have a loyal following.

There is a rubber foot that comes down via a screw mechanism and it's rougly the same diameter as the stock leveling feet the PM comes with. If you google Zambus casters, you can read up as much as you desire :) They make some REALLY big guns too - up to something like 2k or 3k per caster for commercial applications, which is where these are typically found.

hope that gives you a lead to do a bit more research :)

mike

David DeCristoforo
07-16-2010, 8:21 PM
FWIW, I have the casters from GLC on my PM160 planer. I have the ones rated for 1,100 lb per caster ( I believe in overkill) and I can tell you this much. That planer, which weighs in at around 1,500 lbs can be easily pushed around with one hand. But with the feet cranked down, it's virtually unmovable. Of course, it's not spinning an unbalanced, out of round, fifty pound chunk of wood. But still, I would not worry too much about the stability of a lathe mounted on them being any less than the same machine sitting directly on the floor. My only question was the added height but it would seem that WH is tall enough that it won't be a problem...

Roland Martin
07-16-2010, 8:24 PM
Sweet setup William. Congratulations

John Keeton
07-16-2010, 8:37 PM
I thought you cellulose artists called your creative space "studios"!!

Now, if I start asking about blue dye and pearls then please arrange an intervention and talk me back down from that ethereal realm of artists and poets.:DI knew there was some reason that my ears kept burning everytime I scrolled down past this thread!!!:D:D Just wait 'till I get my beret.;)

Gary Herrmann
07-16-2010, 8:58 PM
Good for you, William. Looks like a great set-up.

Allen Neighbors
07-16-2010, 10:08 PM
Mustard!!!??? AARRRGGGGHH!!!!:D

Baxter Smith
07-16-2010, 10:15 PM
Sometimes I wonder what it would feel like to turn on something like that! Looks impressive!

Cathy Schaewe
07-16-2010, 11:01 PM
Have fun! If you're like I've been, you won't be back to the computer too much for a while .... too busy with the new toy!

William Hutchinson
07-16-2010, 11:29 PM
... Just wait 'till I get my beret.;)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/rasta-keeton-in-dreds.gif

David DeCristoforo
07-17-2010, 12:12 AM
OK... I'm going to bed laughing tonight...

jeff schnell
07-17-2010, 12:21 AM
I got one of these also about a month ago. As I started look around for assys I found paint for it too so I order a couple of cans so that I paint a few assys for it and that would get rid of the white paws on yours. I saw an article with one of the turners magazines that use Trailer jacks at each corner or maybe only 3 of them but the issue I had with that is the crank handle was sticking out. I might come up a design that hooks under something with the trailer jacks and when you crank them up they get locked in and when you let them down they detach. Another thing is I'm going to put the extension on the head stock side so that I can mount the Robust tail stock swing away on the right side.

John Keeton
07-17-2010, 7:29 AM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/rasta-keeton-in-dreds.gifMs. Keeton told me not to go to Wal-Mart with that thing on!!:eek: Her exact comment was - "Somebody will take a picture of you and put it on the web!!!" Next time I will listen!!;):D:D

David E Keller
07-17-2010, 10:32 AM
I'm officially starting the campaign for Keeton to change his avatar to the more recent photo!:D

John Keeton
07-17-2010, 11:36 AM
Now, why would I want to do that!!!:D:cool:

Matt Ranum
07-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Is this what happens when a lawyer lets his hair down???:p:D:rolleyes::confused:

David E Keller
07-17-2010, 12:59 PM
Now, why would I want to do that!!!:D:cool:

Well, for starters, your pieces will sell for twice as much if people think you are a quirky artist.

Moshe Eshel
07-17-2010, 3:34 PM
From what I hear and see it's a really great machine (I have the little sister - JET 1642)

I hope you enjoy it very much!