PDA

View Full Version : What to do with an old barn?

Bryan Berguson
07-15-2010, 9:42 PM
The barn at my late parents property (which I have inherited) is in need of repair. Actually, it's the foundation that is bad. I don't have the time, money or desire to fix it but hate to see it fall down. Does anybody know if there is a market for a barn to be taken apart and restored at a different location as a barn or house?

It's an A-frame style barn that is 30x70.

Thanks

Bryan

Jim Koepke
07-15-2010, 10:47 PM
You might find someone who wants to recycle the lumber into other things to take it down for you.

On a different note, one property in my family is owned by my brothers and me. There is an old barn that was fixed up back in the 1950s. It is falling down now. To take it down requires a demolition permit from the county. To let it fall down doesn't require anything.

I did think of going and taking boards out of it here and there to use, but it is down in California and I don't live there any more.

jim

Brian Elfert
07-15-2010, 10:57 PM
I think you are going to have a hard time getting someone to remove and reassemble a barn. The companies that do this generally want the wood to sell. Disassembling a barn to move it would be a much harder task than removing the wood to sell.

Rich Engelhardt
07-16-2010, 7:24 AM
Does anybody know if there is a market for a barn to be taken apart and restored at a different location as a barn or house?

The Wickwire's tried it.

It didn't pan out - however - it made for what PBS says is the most watched project of TOH.

Keith Outten
07-16-2010, 8:43 AM
Jackie and I struggled with the decision whether to tear down our old tractor barn or repair. The damage was extensive from the weather over 85 years or so, we don't know exactly when it was built.

After we finished replacing the exterior of our house we decided to try to save the barn, looking back it was the right choice but it was a very long hot summer with a large portion of the framing to replace and foundation problems that were complex.

It was worth it!!!!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=88184

Tom Winship
07-16-2010, 8:49 AM
Keith, I cannot access the thread you referenced in your response. I get a message saying I do not have access to it. Any idea why?

Belinda Barfield
07-16-2010, 9:10 AM
+1 Tom's post.

Charlie Reals
07-16-2010, 9:15 AM
You might find someone who wants to recycle the lumber into other things to take it down for you.

On a different note, one property in my family is owned by my brothers and me. There is an old barn that was fixed up back in the 1950s. It is falling down now. To take it down requires a demolition permit from the county. To let it fall down doesn't require anything.

I did think of going and taking boards out of it here and there to use, but it is down in California and I don't live there any more.

jim
where in CA., how old, is it turnable? I'll go get it and store it for you. lol

Warren Johnson
07-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Bryan,

I don't know where Wellsboro is located in PA, but you might try to contact Fitzgeralds Timbers. They are in the Thurmont, MD area, just below Gettysburg. I'm sure they could give you some guidence.

Warren

Horton Brasses
07-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Depends on the age, location, and style. There is a market for barns. You might sell it to a "rebuilder", who will come and take it down then reassemble it somewhere else. Not sure you would get much for it seeing as they do a ton of work, but you never know. The lumber of course may be more valuable without quite so much labor. Here is one company that does it:

http://www.njbarnco.com

Keith Outten
07-16-2010, 11:47 AM
Keith, I cannot access the thread you referenced in your response. I get a message saying I do not have access to it. Any idea why?

Tom,

Sorry, I forgot that the thread was in our Moderators Forum. I moved it to the Workshops Forum even though it isn't a shop it seemed the best fit.

For the record I still haven't found the time to rebuild the barn loft but it is still on my list of things to do :)

Dave Wagner
07-16-2010, 12:12 PM
if you want it moved and or sold, Check into the Amish, if you have any local, they do that stuff all the time, our local Amish dissassembled an old train depot and volunteer contractors moved it, and they re-assembled it.

Jim Koepke
07-16-2010, 1:27 PM
where in CA., how old, is it turnable? I'll go get it and store it for you. lol

Near Richmond, most of the wood is a bit weather worn. Not much real good wood, mostly a lot of stuff to haul to a land fill.

I think the demolition permit costs more than any value of the wood.

jim

Charlie Reals
07-16-2010, 2:15 PM
Near Richmond, most of the wood is a bit weather worn. Not much real good wood, mostly a lot of stuff to haul to a land fill.

I think the demolition permit costs more than any value of the wood.

jim

That's probably true Jim. My Dad and grandfather had a similar thing with a chicken coop in Oakland 50 years ago so Alameda county still hasn't changed much in that manner.

Keith Outten
07-18-2010, 8:08 AM
On the East Coast barn boards can be expensive to buy if they are in good shape. The problem we had when we were considering tearing down our barn was the risk of someone getting hurt. A demolition effort would have forced me to use a professional to do the job who had insurance to protect the workers and a contract that released us from any responsibility.

In the end the decision we made to repair was based on the cost of replacing the barn with a new structure which was not an attractive option. Even though our barn looked really bad and had horrible structural issues to deal with it wasn't as bad as it looked at the beginning of the project. Working weekends allowed us to get the job done out of pocket without going to the bank for funds. We bought material each week as the project progressed. At the end of the project we had a building that would last for many decades and no debt but.........plenty of sweat equity.