PDA

View Full Version : Domino & Dust Collection

Kirk McElhinney
07-15-2010, 9:31 PM
Hey Domino users, do I need the Festool dust extractor or can I hook-up to my cyclone easily? Thanks

Chris Rosenberger
07-15-2010, 10:16 PM
You need to have it hooked up to a shop vac of some kind. It does not have to be a Festool. A dust collector will not work.

Will Overton
07-15-2010, 10:24 PM
Chris,
I have a CT22, so never thought about hooking the Domino to my dust collector. I'm wondering though, why a dust collector wouldn't work with proper hose reducer.

Steve Rowe
07-15-2010, 10:57 PM
Chris,
I have a CT22, so never thought about hooking the Domino to my dust collector. I'm wondering though, why a dust collector wouldn't work with proper hose reducer.

Static pressure is significantly different between the two. A vacuum such as the CT22 is designed for low air flow at high static pressure (in the case of the CT22; 134CFM @ 90" water column) whereas a dust collector is designed for high air flows at low static pressures. For example, the fan curve for an Oneida collector is located at
http://www.oneida-air.com/gorilla_super_fan_curve.php
You will notice at about 134CFM air flow, the static pressure is under 11" water column for this unit.

Michael Simpson Virgina
07-16-2010, 12:11 AM
I have a Domino and several small vacs and cyclone dust collector.

1. Will not work with a large dust collection system very well. Its better than nothing but I dont recomend it.

2. lowes high end shop vac. Works very well.

3. Fein small shop vac. Works very well.

4. FessTool CT33. Works very well. Automatic turn on is nice as well.

I purchased a Dust Deputy and have it between my small tools and Shop Vacs. This is much better than going directly into a small vacume. The CT33 bags are pricey. Now I hardly ever change them. You do loose portability though.

Rick Fisher
07-16-2010, 2:25 AM
DC won't work well at all.. Plenty of people have tried to use a DC as a built in home vac as well.. doesn't work.

I have used my old chrome shop vac and my Fein Vac.. Both work great.

Will Overton
07-16-2010, 5:45 AM
Thanks Steve, I appreciate the explanation.

Erik Christensen
07-16-2010, 7:44 AM
besides having a fan curve ill suited to use for something like this (you want low flow/high suction and your shop DC is the opposite) is the fact that almost every DC is not going to like being cycled as often as a shop vac.

Starting/stopping your vacuum 60 times an hour or more is normal use and the machine is designed to handle that - doing the same thing to your 2-5HP DC is going to most certainty overheat the windings of the motor and shorten its life or even burn it out.

Kirk McElhinney
07-16-2010, 9:38 AM
Thanks for the help.

Kirk