PDA

View Full Version : Scenic (prewood?)gloat II

Baxter Smith
07-15-2010, 9:18 PM
Posted a thread about 10 days ago on a spruce burl and left it as "to be continued". Did some more digging and cutting today.
Managed to avoid all the rocks shown in the picture but there were plenty more.
The backside of the burl is the one on the left.:)
Got all the roots cut around the perimeter then was able to tip it over to about a 45 to get to the ones underneath.
Removed all the roots so that it could be rolled but that wouldn't do me much good.
Shipping is the next hurdle.
More like loading though.:)
Think its going to have to go in pieces.

John Hart
07-15-2010, 9:26 PM

Cool...then we get to see the insides sooner?

This is great Baxter!! :)

Jack Mincey
07-15-2010, 9:28 PM
Can't wait to see what this piece of wood looks like on the inside. Good luck with the loading and hauling it home. Can you use a boat and just pull the whole thing to a dock on the lake in the picture, slowly using a rope. You could than float it onto a trailer and take the whole thing home in one piece.
Jack

Jerry Marcantel
07-15-2010, 9:33 PM
Baxter, are getting this burl in a Park, and is that a boat in the rocks in the last picture???? Cool piece of wood. I know where there's one like that around here. Some Ash looking wood...... I might just go out and stealthyly get it...... Good score...... Jerry (in Tucson)

Leo Van Der Loo
07-15-2010, 9:52 PM
Posted a thread about 10 days ago on a spruce burl and left it as "to be continued". Did some more digging and cutting today.
Managed to avoid all the rocks shown in the picture but there were plenty more.
The backside of the burl is the one on the left.:)
Got all the roots cut around the perimeter then was able to tip it over to about a 45 to get to the ones underneath.
Removed all the roots so that it could be rolled but that wouldn't do me much good.
Shipping is the next hurdle.
More like loading though.:)

Baxter I think that burl would float ;), and it would be easier to drag up at the boat ramp maybe ?? than trying to load it into the boat out there :confused:

Roger Chandler
07-15-2010, 9:53 PM
Baxter,

nice haul! I would imagine that was a difficult haul as well! hope you had help loading and moving, and hope you still have no back problems!:(

Looking forward to your "revealing" the treasures that lie inside that ball of wood!

Nice gloat!

Bernie Weishapl
07-15-2010, 9:53 PM
Boy great gloat Baxter. That should make some great turning.

Donny Lawson
07-15-2010, 9:57 PM
Shipping should not be a problem.My address is easy to remember:D.Great burl there.
Donny

Roland Martin
07-15-2010, 9:59 PM
WHOA!! That's a good day's wage you got there:D Can't wait to see a little deeper. Nice find:)

John Keeton
07-15-2010, 10:11 PM
Baxter, that sure gave that Stihl a workout!! Great gloat, and that is going to be some awesome wood! And, a lifetime supply, too.

gary Zimmel
07-15-2010, 10:30 PM
I'm sure that big chunk of burl is going to yield some fine turnings....
Great find and gloat Baxter!

David E Keller
07-15-2010, 10:43 PM
Nice. Would you cut it in half already?

Baxter Smith
07-16-2010, 9:37 AM
that a boat in the rocks in the last picture???? )
That is a boat Jerry. Don't know if there is room for me and that burl.:D

Can you use a boat and just pull the whole thing to a dock on the lake in the picture, slowly using a rope. You could than float it onto a trailer and take the whole thing home in one piece.
Jack
Not a lake Jack. This is what it looked like when I landed.
The tide is a lot faster than I am.:)
I have pulled 3 waterskiiers at one time with the boat on the mooring but I don't know if I could get this chunk of wood up on a plane. Standing in that cold water to strap on a couple pairs of skis.... hmmm. That would make an interesting picture.:) The burl on a plane that is!

Baxter I think that burl would float ;), and it would be easier to drag up at the boat ramp maybe ?? than trying to load it into the boat out there :confused:
It wouldn't need a lifepreserver;) but 3 miles to the ramp might be a long drag!:)

Baxter, that sure gave that Stihl a workout!! ...
My wife walked by as I was cutting with the bar buried and said, I think you need a bigger saw. Now I just need to get this thing mounted on the lathe and have her walk by.;):)
Too good a workout.:mad: I managed to freeze up the chain brake then snapped the handle as I was trying to cut off about a 3rd of it. It is now in the shop till next week. I switched to an old pulp saw to try and join the cuts but couldn't get enough depth. (before I ran out of gas:))

Tim Rinehart
07-16-2010, 9:50 AM
I see your misfortunes with the chainsaw as a sign that it wasn't made for the demanding work you do, and by gosh...it's just not safe to use an underpowered machine that can't take a chunk of wood thrown at it.

I say, for the good of all concerned, not the least of which our economy...time to buy a nice chainsaw!!

Ok...that's how "MY" mind works anyway.;)