PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Steve, great idea!

Josh Bowman
07-15-2010, 7:29 PM
Many thanks to Steve Schlumpf for the idea of a remote stop switch. $7.50 on EBay for the commercial switch, $5 at Lowe's for the box and wire and some rare earth magnets I already had. Now I'm in business. I can move the switch where I am and start the lathe. Just a bump of my hip and it's off.:)
Sure beat the $80 plus for a Powermatic switch.

David DeCristoforo
07-15-2010, 7:50 PM
Who the hell is Steve Schlumpf?

Gary Conklin
07-15-2010, 8:12 PM
Did I miss a thread? Nice looking switch.

John Keeton
07-15-2010, 8:19 PM
Nice setup, Josh!! Now, if you can "bump" that thing just before you get that catch.....!:rolleyes:

Fred Perreault
07-15-2010, 8:19 PM
Josh, do you have the mfg/model/part number for the switch? I dislike the location of the switch on my Nova 16/24.
Thanks

Charlie Reals
07-15-2010, 8:20 PM
Josh, do you have the mfg/model/part number for the switch? I dislike the location of the switch on my Nova 16/24.
Thanks
amen to that!

Josh Bowman
07-15-2010, 8:40 PM
Thanks

Fred, I tried to find you a bargain, but they aren't there yet on EBay yet. The model is the same as this one: Emergency-Stop-Switch-10250T-91000T-Cutler-Hammer-w-Box-/140356969143?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20aded62b7

Mine also came with the heavy duty box, but I was afraid it would not hold with the magnets. The plastic box is better and lighter.

I think this to be a very common industrial switch. Steve's is a common light switch and was what I was going to use until this one landed in my lap for $7.50 and his is surely as functional as mine if not more so. The beauty of his idea is that the Jet or Powermatic lathe is not altered by drilling or cutting wires. Just one crimp connector is pulled and replace by a male and female crimp connector.

Steve Schlumpf
07-15-2010, 8:43 PM
Josh - glad to see you found a way to make the design work for you! Enjoy!

John Hart
07-15-2010, 8:46 PM
Nice setup, Josh!! Now, if you can "bump" that thing just before you get that catch.....!:rolleyes:

You stole the thought right outta my itty bitty head.

Thom Sturgill
07-15-2010, 9:09 PM
Hope you have better luck than I did. Apparently I had a bad connection and the lathe would power down, then startup again. Before calling tech support I decided to remove the mod. I had not cut the wire, I put the proper connectors on the wire that went to the switch and saved the little yellow wire so I could put it back. After I reverted to factory configuration, the lathe started working right again and I haven't taken time to troubleshoot the wiring yet. At least there was no damage done.

Michael Mills
07-15-2010, 9:36 PM
Charles & Fred,

This is the one I use on my 1624…
http://grizzly.com/products/110-220V-Paddle-On-Off-Switch/H8243 (http://grizzly.com/products/110-220V-Paddle-On-Off-Switch/H8243)
Rated for 2 hp and 35 amps – 110 or 220
I mounted mine to the right end/front with two self-drilling screw and fender washers from inside the box. I do not have the bed extension so it is always easy to reach.
Note: The Nova 1624 automatically turns off (resets) if the power is cut. You have to turn the power back on at the switch and then hit the power button on the Nova.
Mike

Bernie Weishapl
07-15-2010, 9:52 PM
Looks like a great setup Josh.

Fred Perreault
07-16-2010, 7:21 AM
Thanks Mike.... I am gonna have to pursue this modification. Too much reaching across the turning and headstock on the Nova.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-16-2010, 5:37 PM
This forum just sucks. Sucks money from my wallet. :) I just ordered the Grizz remote switch. I've been looking for a cheap switch. Thanks for the tip.

The vortex is strong......

Karl Card
07-16-2010, 5:59 PM
This forum just sucks. Sucks money from my wallet. :) I just ordered the Grizz remote switch. I've been looking for a cheap switch. Thanks for the tip.

The vortex is strong......

but kyle you are in the land of milk and honey and besides you all have all the good wood over there on the islands...

Dont remember which island but there is a guy named Joel over there who sells awesome wood on ebay... wonderful stuff and very good turner also.

Matt Hutchinson
07-17-2010, 9:17 PM
Hey, I need one of those!! Ok, I need two. Very cool...Thanks!

Hutch

William Hutchinson
07-17-2010, 11:40 PM

Hutch

With the size of your lathe you'll need a wireless unit and a repeater to boost the signal from one end to the other.:D

--And no, we are not related-- well maybe in the 'six degrees' kind of way.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-18-2010, 12:43 AM

Hutch

Hutch with a long movable strip you could trip that button from anywhere along the lathe.
I use one of those air actuated switches with a magnet on it so I can place it anywhere I'm standing, how is the big bowl coming along Hutch, you sure did take a big bite to try doing that piece, hope it wont split too bad on you.
Are you wrapping it anywhere at any time to control the drying some ??

Ooops I just saw your new posting in the big bowl thread, sorry, do take care :-)