PDA

View Full Version : A few new calls

Ken Hill
07-15-2010, 2:42 PM
Ive been absent the internet for almost a month or so. Verizon and its great service...fooey! have it one day then down for 6...not fun when your job entails using the internet almost non stop! Sleeping in the truck while galleries upload is no fun and i'm getting to old for that stuff:eek:

I managed to finish a few calls, some cherry turkey pots and a few squirrel calls. Thanks for looking!

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Calls/BEA6402/935831868_9sSmy-O.jpg

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Calls/BEA6397/935831779_aeK7m-M.jpg

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Calls/BEA6393/935807350_pEsAv-O.jpg

Bernie Weishapl
07-15-2010, 3:24 PM
Really beautiful calls Ken.

Ted Calver
07-15-2010, 3:43 PM
Very nice Ken. The internet is a great stealer of time...if we let it. You put your off-net time to pretty good use :)

Ken Hill
07-15-2010, 3:46 PM
Usually it isnt an issue Ted, drive 5 to 10 hours, cover a 2 day event, upload day 1 from teh hotel, immediatley drive home and sort and upload day 2 from the house. It was just my luck that the last 4 events have been 1 day deals so the drive home lead to Mickey D's and the ensuing hours of waiting for images to upload to their respetive buyers haha! It wouldnt have been too bad I reckon, but sitting for up to 6 hours in a parking lot when the temps are 90+ just took all the fun out of it:cool:

David E Keller
07-15-2010, 4:07 PM
Nice job on the whole group.

Steve Schlumpf
07-15-2010, 4:15 PM
Ken - beautiful work and photos! What kind of wood is the solo squirrel call made out of? Sure has some rich tones to it!

Hope your internet problems get taken care of real soon!

Ken Hill
07-15-2010, 4:26 PM
Steve, its Osage flamed with a torch. Finiah is Atique Oil, 5 or 6 coats then finished off with a wax

And I have my finger crossed on the internet. I have 2 weddings coming up and cant have any issues haha!

Steve Schlumpf
07-15-2010, 4:29 PM
Well - be sure to keep that little trick in your repertoire - it works!

John Keeton
07-15-2010, 5:13 PM
Nice work, Ken!! I am with Steve on the osage - really nice!

Ken Hill
07-15-2010, 5:23 PM
Thanks guys, we like the osage flamed as well. My youngest son helped me on this one and we will work on some more when I get done this next assignment (7 days straight) so when i get home and get rested we will be back at the lathe...torch in hand:eek:

Allen Neighbors
07-15-2010, 5:53 PM
Some really nice work on these calls, Ken. I'm curious. What does a squirrel call sound like?
When I was little, my Dad would let me take a small (penny)box of matches to the woods with me. I would pick out a likely spot where their nests were plentiful, and sit quietly with my slingshot loaded with a marble. I'd shake that little box of matches just a little bit, and then sit still, counting to 30, eyes searching. When I reached 30, if I didn't have a squirrel in my sights, I'd shake it again. Squirrels are curious as cats; it always attracts them.
Sorry for rattling on... :D

Ken Hill
07-16-2010, 12:17 AM
They make squeeking sounds, they bark...they actually make a myriad of sounds. These calls imitate the bark.

Ive used gravel that I'd scoop up at the road side and flick it into the dry leaves when I hunt them. It mimmicks the sound of the acorn pieces falling when they are feeding. A knife and a piece of wood can be made to mimmick the sound of them cutting nuts as well. I used to be able to chat with them with just sounds I made from my mouth but 4 knocked out teeth ended my chatter amongst the tree rats

Leo Van Der Loo
07-16-2010, 1:43 AM
Nice calls Ken, and the Osage looks rich, nice

brian watts
07-16-2010, 5:46 AM
very nice calls.. yes barking thing kill me when i deer hunt. you try to sit as still as you can when the the tree rats are around as soon as the tree rats spot you the WHOLE woods seen to start barking because they donot know what you are and you are harm to them. so they are letting the other tree rats know you are there..