PDA

View Full Version : Saw something interesting done with a lathe.

Bill Wyko
07-15-2010, 1:48 PM
I was watching "How it's made" last night. A guy was making a copper bowl. He had a blunt ball of sort on his lathe and had a copper disc at the curved end of it. With the disc spinning, he used a blunt rod and started stretching the copper over the ball. The copper stretched around it as it was spinning. It was pretty interesting. Another use for the lathe.

Stephen Massman
07-15-2010, 2:48 PM
metal spinning has been gaining popularity for the past couple years.

Oneway even has a section on their website for it.
http://www.oneway.ca/metal_spinning/index.htm

Here is another site
http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Turning_articles.html#metal

bob svoboda
07-15-2010, 3:40 PM
That is really cool. Looks a little like an abyss within a vortex!:eek:

Robert Arrowood
07-15-2010, 6:03 PM
Man that is cool.Better stay away from that though.This wood turning is sucking me in enough:eek:..

Allen Neighbors
07-15-2010, 6:28 PM
What a great video, in the Oneway link! Thanks for posting this thread, Bill!
Thanks for the link, Stephen!

Leo Van Der Loo
07-15-2010, 9:29 PM
I was watching "How it's made" last night. A guy was making a copper bowl. He had a blunt ball of sort on his lathe and had a copper disc at the curved end of it. With the disc spinning, he used a blunt rod and started stretching the copper over the ball. The copper stretched around it as it was spinning. It was pretty interesting. Another use for the lathe.

I've done a bit of metal spinning, I'm not very good at it, but can make some simple pieces, it is a whole different way of working with metal, not like turning wood at all really, but yes lathe work.

Nowadays they use lathes/machines with hydraulic powered spinners and rollers to do the spinning, goes much faster and they can do heavier work also
155947 155955 155948

Perry Holbrook
07-16-2010, 7:12 AM
If you are thinking about trying this, consider spinning pewter rather than copper. Pewter does not work harden like copper. The copper usually needs to be annealed a couple of times before a piece is complete. This just adds a complication that you won't have with pewter.

Perry

John Keeton
07-16-2010, 7:47 AM
Neat concept, but like some of the others - looks like a costly diversion!! More toys, more materials, and then.....what do I do with all this wood I have accumulated?!?!?

Leo, neat ornaments!!!

Karl Card
07-16-2010, 8:01 AM
I also saw a movie program about 6 months ago or so on this subject. Looked very interesting.

Just as long as the copper didnt come apart and start flying like some of my wood does everything would be fine.

Also can you imagine what a sheet of copper would cost these days.

Tim Rinehart
07-16-2010, 8:23 AM
408 Metal Spinning Redemption: Famous for his lack of skill when it comes to metal spinning Tim redeems himself by making a simple nut dish. Then master metal spinner Tom Farrell drops by the shop to spin a spectacular lidded candy dish.

Saw this recently...sure doesn't look too daunting. They used aluminum, and made a point to talk about difference between alloy and pure aluminum. You want to spin with the ductile pure aluminum. Easy way to tell difference is that it bends easily and doesn't tend to rebound it's shape.

Bernie Weishapl
07-16-2010, 10:00 AM
I have seen a demo on metal spinning and always wanted to try it. Dave Hout does some metal spinning.