PDA

View Full Version : Best “Dremel” type tool

Tom Walz
07-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Best “Dremel” type tool

Just burned up another Dremel tool. I was cutting a ventilation square for a small fan in a tool cabinet. Material was hardboard. Burned one up last month polishing. Getting tired of this. They are darned expensive and you have to buy a kit. (Also paid a fortune for a few cutting disks.)

I also have a Sears variable speed which seems to be tougher. (I have already run it about an hour and it hasn’t caught fire yet.)

Would really like to find a tough tool with decently priced accessories.

Would appreciate any ideas.

Thanks,
Tom

Cary Falk
07-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Dremmel has a 5 year warrenty, I think. Send it in for repair. I burned one up and sent it in about a year ago. They fixed it at no cost. I don't have a suggestion for a replacement.

Dave Gaul
07-15-2010, 12:59 PM
I've had a RotoZip for about 10 years I'd say, 7 or 8 at least. It is one tough tool IYAM. I use the RotoZip spiral bits for cutting materials, but for sanding/grinding/polishing/cutoff wheels I use the dremel kits.

The only problem I've had with the RotoZip is that the shroud seperating the cooling fan from the motor case crack and was causing some problems. I removed the shroud and it's been running perfectly ever since.

Heath Brandenburg
07-15-2010, 1:02 PM
I can't recommend anything better because I've had my 200 series Dremel for 8 years or so and haven't had any issues. I'd definitely send yours back for repair under warranty.

If you are working them hard and blowing through them that fast, maybe consider picking up Harbor Freight rotary tools at a quarter of the price of a Dremel and consider them disposable.

As far as the accessories go, a quick search for "rotary" on HF's website turns up a few inexpensive options.

Tom Adger
07-15-2010, 1:07 PM
+1 on the Harborfreight. I bought a Dremel lookalike from them a year ago. Has 4 speeds. I have used it a lot, and it has hung in there. Cost around $20.

Greg Portland
07-15-2010, 1:12 PM
I did not have good luck with these multi-tools. I would recommend a good laminate trimmer (Rigid or Makita) for wall plates & holes in thin material + a Fein Multimaster (or knock-off) for other tasks..

Don Selke
07-15-2010, 1:15 PM
+1 again for the Harbor Freight look alike, had to have one for a project several years ago and went for the cheaper tool as I only need it on ocassional use. It came in a case with several accessories and paid $15.00 with coupon. Have used it several times and it has preformed well.

Callan Campbell
07-15-2010, 1:19 PM
How long is your average run time with the tool? On and off, or, once it's on, you're running for quite a while before it's turned off? I've had my Dremel for at least 6 years now, not sure if the quality is going down for the new ones or you've gotten hold of a bad batch. I also don't use my Dremel tool for anything heavy duty with regards to sanding, polishing. I use a 1/4" pneumatic die grinder instead. I'm wondering if en electric 1/4" die grinder is a better fit for you. It WILL be larger than your Dremel tool, but also has more HD parts and bearings. What do you think?

Michael Simpson Virgina
07-15-2010, 1:53 PM
I have a 20 year old Dremel. Its still going strong. I also have the variable speed HarborFreight unit. Its rubberized and seems more robust.

I also have the rotozip. This is for those jobs that would burn up the other two. None of my tools get too hot by just running.

So ...

+1 for Rotozip
+1 for HF

Prashun Patel
07-15-2010, 2:23 PM
I read good reviews on the Fein Multitool a couple years ago.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-15-2010, 2:34 PM
What are you doing? IMO the Dremel falls into the "toy" class of tools. They're great for little jobs here and there, and I use mine a LOT. BUT not for anything heavy duty. If it starts to get warm I shut it down and take a break.
There are better tools for buffing.... If you want a heavy duty "Dremel" tool check out Foredom. Big motor and a small remote handpiece. That may be what you're looking for. Pricey, but cheaper than 3 Dremel kits. Designed for continuous work.

Bill ThompsonNM
07-15-2010, 3:46 PM
If I've spelled it correctly -- I've burned out three or four at least of the dremels but two years ago bought a proxxon, German made small like the dremel but much heavier duty

After that I would probably go to a foredom.

The first dremel I had lasted 20+ years. After that their lifespan has been getting shorter and shorter!

Callan Campbell
07-15-2010, 4:06 PM
If I've spelled it correctly -- I've burned out three or four at least of the dremels but two years ago bought a proxxon, German made small like the dremel but much heavier duty

After that I would probably go to a foredom.

The first dremel I had lasted 20+ years. After that their lifespan has been getting shorter and shorter!
Plus Infinity! on what everyone posted[see, I just got to make that up:p] Dremel, "iffy" quality level or run time before excesive wear sets in?
Fein MultiMaster, totally different size and level of tool. Not rotary either so I didn't mention it.
Foredom or equivilant, much stronger design and has flexible cable drive.
Electric 1/4" die grinder, bigger, noisy?, and has more life and power than a Dremel type tool depending on build quality
If air IS available, 1/4" die grinder
Fein Tool Clone, cheaper than a Fein, attachments depend on who's making it and if any cross over in usage from one make to another. Still an possibility
And finally the vote for the Proxxon line of tools.
Anything catch your eye Tom?
For me, and for other posters, it sounds like you really need 2 types of tools from your first post. For plunge cutting into wood easily, a Fein MM or one of its clones with a cutting blade is quick and easy. The clones are very cheap as well for just starting out and if you don't want to spend alot. For buffing, polishing, sanding, you'll need to decide or tell us what you're doing ,like lots of small work that you BRING to a machine, or is it a mix of projects where some of the work is small, and other projects larger?
That would help everyone here with giving advice. Strange and sad about all the hard luck dying Dremels, I may have to go home and hug my still working tool to keep it feeling the love.:rolleyes::D

Joe Jensen
07-15-2010, 4:28 PM
I find the Dremel branded bits and disks to be crazy expensive. I bought a ton of those things from this outfit a few years ago and haven't had to restock.

Widget Supply, Inc
PO Box 3282
ALBANY OR 97321

I just looked at the Proxxon and I have a lightly used Dremel that I'd like to sell so I can get a Proxxon.

John McClanahan
07-15-2010, 6:03 PM
The Foredom tool has more power, but only runs at about 20K rpms. If you use small diameter bits it may seem to cut slower.

At work I use a Rotozip with a flex shaft and foot switch. It has more power and speed than a Foredom, and costs a lot less $$$. Never boggs down,never gets hot.

John

Steven Hsieh
07-15-2010, 8:07 PM
Has anyone here use Fein tools?

Charles Lent
07-15-2010, 8:46 PM
I use an air powered die grinder that I bought from an industrial supply. It uses the same 1/8" shank bits as the Dremel, the body is only 1" in diameter, and it turns at about 40,000 rpm. It also doesn't heat up when it's running like the Dremel. It actually gets cool instead, and it has lasted me about 5 years of intermittent use and it is still running well. An oil mister in the air line is required to lubricate it, but the exhaust and excess oil are directed away from the work by an exhaust hose out the back end of the tool. If I remember correctly it cost me about $65.

Charley

george wilson
07-15-2010, 9:19 PM
I have the Fein multitool. It is great,but expensive. Some like the HF knockoffs. I'm glad I have the real thing because I'm sure you aren't going to get the gears and guts in a cheaper tool,and they will wear out down the road.

Dave Lehnert
07-15-2010, 9:35 PM
The Foredom tool has more power, but only runs at about 20K rpms. If you use small diameter bits it may seem to cut slower.

At work I use a Rotozip with a flex shaft and foot switch. It has more power and speed than a Foredom, and costs a lot less $$$. Never boggs down,never gets hot.

John

Is that flex shaft made by Rotozip? Don't think I have ever seen that setup.

Jim Finn
07-15-2010, 9:49 PM
I find the dremel tools too easy to stall at lower speeds. I much prefer the Black and decker from Walmart ($28). It has three speeds and is stronger on the low speeds. It is a disposable tool though. Cannot change the brushes on it. I have four of them in my shop. Dremmel tips fit it well.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-15-2010, 9:53 PM

I didn't either, so I checked Amazon. Peaked my interest, 36 bucks or so. Has rather mixed reviews. Very so-so, solid 3 stars. The Foredom, I have used, and am very impressed, and the reviews are also impressive. I'll someday buy one, if the economy ever picks up and I can sell some inlays......

John McClanahan
07-15-2010, 10:14 PM

Yes. I got it at Lowes for $29.95. Sears also sells them, but it costs more there.

John

Bill Whig
07-15-2010, 11:55 PM
FWIW, I have been using the Harbor Freight Rotary Tool to trim 1/2" drywall. The first unit cut about 80 feet over 3 days and then died (I was satisfied). The replacement unit, I got today, cut about 7 inches and died--it didn't even get very warm first.

Bill

Michael Simpson Virgina
07-16-2010, 12:58 AM
I have to take my vote for Harbor Freight back. The Tool I have is no longer for sale and the one listed are pretty light weight.

Rich Engelhardt
07-16-2010, 6:43 AM
I have a 200, 300 and 400 Dremel.
I also have a Roto-Zip & a PC690.
I'm planning on adding a Bosch Colt to the lineup when I find the right deal on one in order th bridge the gap between a Dremel and the PC690.

Right tool for the job = makes the task easier & saves the tool.

The Roto-Zip has ample power for hogging wood, however, it's base is geared towards less precision than I care for. It's perfect for it's intended use though - which is cutting drywall.

W/regards to the OP, the Roto-Zip could be used to rough cut a vent hole in hardboard - but - I believe I'd grab a jigsaw first.
Or - now that I have a couple of them, one of the multifunction tools.

I have to take my vote for Harbor Freight back. The Tool I have is no longer for sale and the one listed are pretty light weight
That confirms what a co worker of mine told me. He just bought a HF rotary tool and said it's extremely underpowered.

Joe Chritz
07-16-2010, 12:28 PM
I use a roto zip for anything large. It is much bigger than a small dremel. I have two small dremels and neither gets much use but my dogs are sure each houses the devil himself with a toenail sanding drum weapon.

I can see that if I used my small ones like the roto zip the life span would be very short indeed.

Joe