PDA

View Full Version : Need New Tools

Jake Byrd
12-04-2004, 11:23 PM
Well, I broke my parting tool today. No "real" loss, it was the one that came with the Jet Pen Lathe set. What affordable new kind should I get?

Thanks,

John Shuk
12-05-2004, 10:13 AM
Get the Harbor freight set of high spped steel. You'll get a nice parting tool as well as a bunch of other tools to play with and it won't break the bank at $29.00.

Jim Becker
12-05-2004, 10:35 AM
Replace the tool, certainly, but also examine why you broke your original tool. That's not a "normal" occurence...

Jake Byrd
12-05-2004, 11:15 AM
Somehow it came out of the handle. It somehow got stuck under the piece I was turning.:confused:

Robert E Lee
12-05-2004, 5:54 PM
Jake, can you epoxy the handle back on. Harbor Freight raised thier price to 34,99. It is still a bargain.
Bob

Kenneth George
12-05-2004, 6:45 PM
Jake, this begs a few questions, was it a square parting tool? Where you working with it on a downward angle? Did the tool have room to work? The reason I ask this is due to the fact that it sounds as though the tool either got pulled below center line or you were working below center line. The piece grabbed the tool due to the friction and since you probably had a fairly good grip on it, it pulled it from the handle.

I am a firm believer in giving the parting tool room to work. I always make multiple cuts side to side only about a quarter inch deep at a time. I have had a parting tool grab before and it will sure wake you up!

Randy Meijer
12-05-2004, 10:11 PM
I just bought a JET pen lathe not too long ago and 2 of the 3 tools were not glued into their handles!! I guess their QC leaves a little to be desired??