PDA

View Full Version : Kickback, not the table saw

John Fabre
07-15-2010, 1:37 AM
My neighbor on a warm calm Saturday, tried to scare me while I was using my ten year old 5hp PM 66. He walked up from behind me, grabbed my shoulder to ask what I was doing. Am I the only one with a dangerous neighbor or has this happened to anyone else?

Ken Fitzgerald
07-15-2010, 1:45 AM
No. If I am doing something that demands my complete attention, I actually lock the door to the shop to prevent that from happening. It's dangerous.

John Fabre
07-15-2010, 2:05 AM
I should have closed my garage door, like I do now, lesson learned.

Ray McCullie
07-15-2010, 3:56 AM
Your neighbor is an idiot. But I suspect everyone already knew that.

Michael Simpson Virgina
07-15-2010, 4:16 AM
The real question is what did you say to him after he did that?

John Fabre
07-15-2010, 5:35 AM
I held my cool, told him that was stupid. He should know better, he's a press operator where he works.

scott spencer
07-15-2010, 6:57 AM
My neighbor used to have a yellow lab that liked to visit whenever they were out for a walk. He brought the dog into the garage one day while I was cutting with my back to the door. The dog came up and goosed me with his nose in the middle of the cut....it surprised me but I managed to stay focused on the cut. Afterward I explained how dangerous that can be and why, and asked that in the future they wait the 20 or 30 seconds until I completed the task...he got that "aha" look on his face and has honored the request ever since. My wife and kids have the same understanding.

Jack Wilson
07-15-2010, 7:52 AM
My neighbor on a warm calm Saturday, tried to scare me while I was using my ten year old 5hp PM 66. He walked up from behind me, grabbed my shoulder to ask what I was doing. Am I the only one with a dangerous neighbor or has this happened to anyone else? I held my cool, told him that was stupid. He should know better, he's a press operator where he works.

Really? He's a press operator and thought that would be funny or at least appropriate? :mad: The shutting the door idea sounds fine on the surface, and it is probably the safest idea, but why do YOU have to change the way you're working, when it's your neighbor who's the idiot. That kind of galls me because really it's not just you. It's all of us, when some one else is stupid, too often the solution is for everyone else to adjust to them, rather than having them, (the stupid one), adjust and come in line with whats proper, or acceptable, or safe.

It's one thing when we're dealing with children who need to learn, and an entirely different matter when dealing with adults who, 1) ought to know better, & 2) when they do something stupid, (which IS the human condition), should apologize and knock it off, FOREVER. Acknowledging their error and owning it, instead of shouldering others with the responsibility of figuring out how to prevent the offender from striking again.

But hey, that's just me

glenn bradley
07-15-2010, 9:09 AM
LOML's daughter had to be cured of the habit of pulling into the driveway and honking the horn to let me know she had arrived. It took 2 or 3 explanations that I do not like being startled while holding my body anywhere near sharp spinning things but, she got it.

Will Overton
07-15-2010, 10:16 AM
I had a neighbor who did something like that once, and only once. He was ignorant, but not stupid, so once I explained the problem he stayed out until he heard the tools were shut down.

Then he died in a car crash last year. :(

Jerome Stanek
07-15-2010, 10:27 AM
At the shop I work for we have 2 table saws that are somewhat in line they are about 16 feet apart. One day I was cutting on one and another worker was just getting ready to cut on the other and an idiot walked up behind the other guy and screamed. I was abouit half way though a cut and I jumped I shut the saw off and walked over to the screamer and chewed his ass off. He couldn't understand why I was so mad at him he said that the guy he tried to scare didn't even have the saw on. I told him I almost lost my fingers in the other saw and if he ever did that again I would take a 2 X 4 and hit him in the head. He no longer works for us.

Jim Heffner
07-15-2010, 10:43 AM
I see that I'm not the only one with this problem ! My wife does this sometimes (1) like honking the horn on her car when leaving or coming home
if I'm in the shop working, or (2) not paying attention to what I'm doing
when she approaches the shop from the outside.

I have told her repeatedly time and again "don't ever, just walk up on me
unannounced, if I'm using one of my machines, you might do something
to cause me to jerk, cutting my hand or get hurt worse." But , the sad irony is she doesn't remember that for very long...and will do it again without thinking.I usually get mad and give a very strong verbal warning AGAIN!
I have told her...." if you see me working or hear one of the machines running, STOP! don't say or do anything until the machine STOPS!" Then you announce yourself and tell me what you want!

Rod Sheridan
07-15-2010, 11:13 AM
When I had kids at home, we settled on what the oldest child was taught in shop class.

When the teacher wished to have every one's attention, she would flick the lighting on/off/on once rapidly.

So that's what we do, the light switch for the shop is at the entrance, and we flick the switch once to announce that we're entering the shop, or need the attention of the person in the shop.

Regards, Rod.

Bill Karow
07-15-2010, 11:39 AM
>>My neighbor...walked up from behind me, grabbed my shoulder to ask what I was doing.<<

What was his reaction when he regained consciousness?

That's so wildly ignorant with huge potential negative consequences to you - and he should absolutely already know that - at minimum I would have encouraged him to never set foot on my property again.

What an incredibly thoughtless and stupid thing for him to have done. Glad you're OK!

Don Alexander
07-15-2010, 12:16 PM
you all have probably noticed that ignorance can usually be fixed whereas stupidity is 100% unfixable

you all have also probably noticed that stupid people are DANGEROUS no matter where they are

moral of this is ...............try to avoid being around stupid people :D

John Fabre
07-15-2010, 12:38 PM
After that, he walked away, some people just don’t think. Were hoping he moves.

Rob Damon
07-15-2010, 12:44 PM
I always lock the shop door when I go in to do anything, even if it is not wood cutting related, just to maintain/reinforce the habit.

The wife knows to come to the door, if she hears any noise from power tools, she doesn't come in. If she doesnt' hear anything other than the radio, the she quitely comes in and see what I am doing, before saying or distracting me.

The problem with just coming when You don't hear any power tools going, is that I could just be in the process of turning one on or in the middle of changing a blade/bit and slip.

Rob

John Fabre
07-15-2010, 1:01 PM
I always lock the shop door when I go in to do anything, even if it is not wood cutting related, just to maintain/reinforce the habit.

The wife knows to come to the door, if she hears any noise from power tools, she doesn't come in. If she doesnt' hear anything other than the radio, the she quitely comes in and see what I am doing, before saying or distracting me.

The problem with just coming when You don't hear any power tools going, is that I could just be in the process of turning one on or in the middle of changing a blade/bit and slip.

Rob

Even my young kids know better not to walk in and start talking.

Chip Lindley
07-15-2010, 1:24 PM
If ignorance can be taught, all is well! Otherwise, the loss of a thoughtless neighbor's friendship is WORTH saving all your fingers.

In the case of a thoughtless family member--just tell LOML that you will be forced to buy that brand new $3000 SAFE tablesaw if they persist! That'll bring surprise shop visits to a halt!

Steve Kohn
07-15-2010, 2:24 PM
When I had kids at home, we settled on what the oldest child was taught in shop class.

When the teacher wished to have every one's attention, she would flick the lighting on/off/on once rapidly.

So that's what we do, the light switch for the shop is at the entrance, and we flick the switch once to announce that we're entering the shop, or need the attention of the person in the shop.

Regards, Rod.

My wife and kids are trained to do the same thing. And then stand by the door until I acknowledge their presence. I am always wearing hearing protection in the shop, along with the dust collector running, so flicking the lights on and off is really the only way to get my attention when a machine is running.

My lights are on two separate circuits/switches. So the only need to turn one off and I notice is right away, but am not in the dark.

Dan Gill
07-15-2010, 3:23 PM
My wife pulled up in the driveway and honked at me once. Just once. I pointed out how dangerous that was, and she quickly realized the truth of that.

Jason Roehl
07-15-2010, 6:56 PM
Of course you're all correct in your solutions to the problem, but you can add another layer of protection--don't be jumpy.

As a painter, believe it or not, I have to deal with this from time to time. When I'm 20' off the ground on a ladder, I can't react wildly to a wasp/hornet/yellowjacket sting, no matter how much it startles me (or hurts). I've even had the presence of mind to not curse a blue streak once because there were a bunch of young children within earshot. I also try to be aware of my surroundings all the time--I'll lock a door before I paint above it on a ladder, I look around before I start something, and yes, I'm the type of guy who likes to sit with his back in a corner of the restaurant.

The bottom line is that no matter what you're doing, you should have a "plan of escape" for WHEN something goes wrong (are you forcing a board towards the blade--where will your hands go if the board suddenly slips out and is not there?)

Jim Rimmer
07-15-2010, 10:13 PM
A lot of great responses and it seems everyone had the same initial thought I did - WOW! WHAT AN IDIOT! Too bad there is not an emoticon for speechlessness.

Bill Huber
07-15-2010, 10:25 PM
You have to go though the house to get to the shop so if anyone comes to the house to see me they have to go though the wife first.

The rule is if they hear any noise then wait until it stops and then knock.

glenn bradley
07-16-2010, 12:09 AM
Too bad there is not an emoticon for speechlessness.

We need one of these.155960

Loren Hedahl
07-17-2010, 2:00 PM
I've never had that happen and hardly expect to.

I live at the top of a steep hill. My woodworking neighbors are either too old, too fat or too lazy to walk up my drive. (They don't visit me, I visit them.) If they were to drive up, though, I would see them coming, since I orient my power tools toward the view.

I certainly agree, though -- I wouldn't be so very happy if it did happen!

Rich Dill
07-17-2010, 6:43 PM
A co-worker in the shop where I'm employed seems to think it's hilarious to see me jump when he scares me while I'm using power tools. He's not one of the cabinetmakers so mybe he doesn't understand. Maybe he's an idiot too. The other cabinetmaker and I can't seem to make him understand how dangerous this is. I think he's a member of a secret society of morons that hate skilled woodworkers. Their goal is world domination by making woodworkers digitally impaired.

Phil Thien
07-17-2010, 6:53 PM
I'm like Loren, I orient the tools so I can see people approaching.

Myk Rian
07-17-2010, 7:00 PM
I have told her repeatedly time and again "don't ever, just walk up on me
unannounced, if I'm using one of my machines, you might do something
to cause me to jerk, cutting my hand or get hurt worse." But , the sad irony is she doesn't remember that for very long...and will do it again without thinking.I usually get mad and give a very strong verbal warning AGAIN!
I have told her...." if you see me working or hear one of the machines running, STOP! don't say or do anything until the machine STOPS!" Then you announce yourself and tell me what you want!
Take Jeromes' 2x4 and hit her in the head with it.

John Schreiber
07-17-2010, 9:57 PM
When someone activates the garage door opener it makes me jump, especially if I'm concentrating on something. Having few power tools is an advantage some times.

rick carpenter
07-18-2010, 12:03 AM
I have told her repeatedly time and again "don't ever, just walk up on me...

Sounds like it's time for two large and tacky signs stating your preferences. One goes on the garage door for all the world to see til she gets the point, the other goes on your shop door... permanently.

Rick

Jay Allen
07-18-2010, 8:50 AM
A co-worker in the shop where I'm employed seems to think it's hilarious to see me jump when he scares me while I'm using power tools.

I'm thinking that a quick word with the boss might fix that?

I wonder if it would be so funny if he had to laugh with out his teeth? :D

Rich Dill
07-18-2010, 3:22 PM
My employer loves the guy. He's a professional butt kisser. I thinkthats why he was hired. Fortunately, with the economy being what it is he only works four days a week.:rolleyes:

Doug Klann
07-18-2010, 6:10 PM
Flicking the lights is the best. Gets my attention without the "What the hell!!!!" jump that other methods can cause.

Dan Karachio
07-18-2010, 10:26 PM
Then take him aside and tell him if he ever does that again to you or anyone and they end up injured, you will remove his tonsils with a dull chisel. Use your best Soprano's voice and try to look very crazy.

John Fabre
09-19-2010, 8:19 PM
My neighbor is moving to N.C.

Jim O'Dell
09-19-2010, 8:35 PM
My wife startled me once. Only once. She's a smart girl!!!:D She now comes in and turns the stereo off. I can hear it with the cyclone and a TS running (not sure about the planer) and know when it goes off. When I finish what I'm doing, then we talk. Now if I could just get her to turn the radio back ON when she leaves. :rolleyes:
I have an old center hung street light that I'd love to come up with an idea of how to use so that it's obvious that red is don't enter, yellow is proceed with caution but don't interrupt, green is come on in!! Jim.

Clark Harbaugh
09-19-2010, 10:39 PM
My wife startled me once. Only once. She's a smart girl!!!:D She now comes in and turns the stereo off. I can hear it with the cyclone and a TS running (not sure about the planer) and know when it goes off. When I finish what I'm doing, then we talk. Now if I could just get her to turn the radio back ON when she leaves. :rolleyes:
I have an old center hung street light that I'd love to come up with an idea of how to use so that it's obvious that red is don't enter, yellow is proceed with caution but don't interrupt, green is come on in!! Jim.

Jim, I like your idea. It wouldn't be too hard to wire up a series of relays that turn on when a load is sensed on specific outlets.

Dave Anderson NH
09-20-2010, 8:53 AM
I am blessed with a wife who understands. Sue has 30 years experience working in companies with machine shops and large table saws. When I'm talking table saw, I'm talking half million dollar horizontal Hendricks panel saws with 14" blades, full computerization, vacuum clamps, air tables, and mechanized fences which automatically move the work for the next cut. If I'm in the shop running any power tool she waits outside the door until she hears it power down.

When we bought my almost 39 year old stepson a tablesaw about 4 years ago I put him and my grandson throught a training session and kickback demonstration. I purposefully skewed the rip fence slightly, and with both my son and grandson wearing safety glasses made them stand about 10 feet behind the saw. I started ripping a 1" thick cutoff of styrofoam and then just let go of it. They got the message in a microsecond. I recommend this as a really effective object lesson.

Zach England
09-20-2010, 9:04 AM
made me think of this article...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/09/16/things.fall.off/index.html?iref=obnetwork

I love how the saw "went out of control".

Jerome Hanby
09-20-2010, 9:53 AM
you all have probably noticed that ignorance can usually be fixed whereas stupidity is 100% unfixable

you all have also probably noticed that stupid people are DANGEROUS no matter where they are

moral of this is ...............try to avoid being around stupid people :D
Actually, stupidity is the only universal capital crime and the sentence is carried out automatically and without mercy, it's just a shame that other people sometimes get caught in the aftermath. But there is no recidivism.
(more or less stolen from RAH)

Nick Laeder
09-20-2010, 10:32 AM
One of my wife's friends stopped by a couple weekends ago when I was working in the shop. The garage door was open because it was beautiful outside. I had my back to the door using the dado blade on the tablesaw, milling a lot of dados for a couple of pergolas I built. The saw probably ran for five or ten minutes before I was done.

She stood at the garage door patiently until I shut off the saw. When she said "Hi Nick" she scared the crap out of me, but there were no spinning blades. I thanked her profusely for waiting, and she just said, "It seemed like a good idea to wait, and a really bad idea to startle you. You looked like you were intent on what you were working on."

She's my new favorite of my wife's friends.

Mike Cruz
09-20-2010, 9:32 PM
You know, I didn't even realize it until I read this thread, but all my machines are placed so that no one can walk up on me in my shop without me seeing them enter. Glad I happened to place everything like that.

Oops, on second thought, my miter saw and drill press are faced so that the door is off to my left, slightly over my left shoulder. And one of my BS's has my back to the door...completely!

Thanks for the heads up. I will pay more attention when using the BS now...

Jacob Mac
09-20-2010, 9:45 PM
made me think of this article...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/09/16/things.fall.off/index.html?iref=obnetwork

I love how the saw "went out of control".

Wow, he turned to talk to his son when he was making a cut? It is too bad he got hurt, but you have to be smarter than that.

To the OP, congratulations on the neighbor moving. That is great news.

Dan Gill
09-21-2010, 10:55 AM
My wife honked at me as she drove up once. I explained that she very nearly had to take me to the ER to get a finger sewed back on, and she has never done that again.

If the neighbor doesn't get it with one explanation, make it clear he's not welcome at all.

Kevin Womer
09-21-2010, 5:05 PM
A co-worker in the shop where I'm employed seems to think it's hilarious to see me jump when he scares me while I'm using power tools. He's not one of the cabinetmakers so mybe he doesn't understand. Maybe he's an idiot too. The other cabinetmaker and I can't seem to make him understand how dangerous this is. I think he's a member of a secret society of morons that hate skilled woodworkers. Their goal is world domination by making woodworkers digitally impaired.

Wow,
My 6 year old daughter and 10 year old son have both learned to wait until the saw shuts off before they enter as well as my wife. I would have very little patience for this guy. If he is an idiot, or just refuses to listen to you I wouldn't want him around machinery period, he's just a liability waiting to happen.

Steve Costa
09-21-2010, 6:25 PM
Fortunately I do not have neighbors who want to amuse themselves at my expense.

My wife completely understands the nature of the danger associated with fast moving sharp objects. Whenever I'm in my shop and I am running my machines she waits until they are turned off and I have moved away from them. I never had to explain this to her as she has an enormous amount of comon sense & is the brains in the family!!!:)