PDA

View Full Version : Is Rock Maple American Maple?

Brendan Stemp
07-14-2010, 11:42 PM
Sorry for what may appear a really dumb question, but I'm an Aussie and haven't had much to do with the various Maples available.

I need a number of biggish sections of American Maple for my recorder making; 3" square x 6" long. I am finding Maple this size hard to get in Australia but was offered some Rock Maple. It seems quite expensive to me but I need it so I am prepared to pay what is being asked. But it has been described as Rock Maple not Am Maple. Is there a difference? I ask because sometimes the same timber has a variety of names.

I would also be interested to hear from anyone who could supply me with American Maple this size. Obviously I will pay the going rate and freight. It ain't urgent, I'm just planning for future orders. Actually the finished size is 58-60mm so it doesn't have to be the full 3" (75mm).

Steve Schoene
07-14-2010, 11:59 PM
In the US Rock Maple is just one name for hard maple. Hard maple is Acer Saccharum or Acer Nigrum (sugar maple or black maple) Soft maple is Acer rubrum or Acer Sacchorinum (red or silver maple) English sycamore is really a maple, very similar to hard maple--it is Acer pseudoplatanus I'd think American Maple could include either hard or soft maple likely with significantly different tone properties.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-15-2010, 12:38 AM
Sorry for what may appear a really dumb question, but I'm an Aussie and haven't had much to do with the various Maples available.

I need a number of biggish sections of American Maple for my recorder making; 3" square x 6" long. I am finding Maple this size hard to get in Australia but was offered some Rock Maple. It seems quite expensive to me but I need it so I am prepared to pay what is being asked. But it has been described as Rock Maple not Am Maple. Is there a difference? I ask because sometimes the same timber has a variety of names.

I would also be interested to hear from anyone who could supply me with American Maple this size. Obviously I will pay the going rate and freight. It ain't urgent, I'm just planning for future orders. Actually the finished size is 58-60mm so it doesn't have to be the full 3" (75mm).

There are 13 native Maple in N. America, here are some that are used for lumber.

Yes Rock Maple is hard Maple, also called Sugar Maple, Latin name Acer saccharum.

Black Maple, Acer Nigrum is also a hard Maple, grows farther west, but it doesn't grow as far north as the Sugar Maple, very close to the Sugar Maple, differences are hairs on the leaf stalk and seed stalks, leafs have a wilted appearance, but there are apparently natural occurring Hybrids as well :confused:

There's also Red Maple, Acer Rubrum, it is considered a soft Maple, though it is pretty hard wood still, has the more Maple looking leafs, with 3 to 5 shallow lobed points. the wood will turn blue if a solution of ferric salt is applied to it.

Then Silver Maple, Acer saccharinum is another soft Maple with very deeply cut leafs but again it does hybridize commonly with Red Maple were the two species grow together

The other larger Maple is the Big Leaf Maple, Acer macrophyllum, it grows on the west coast of N. America, it is also a soft maple

All the other Maples that are native are much smaller and very seldom used for lumber, HTH

And sorry I don't have any hard Maple lumber for sale :)

Brendan Stemp
07-15-2010, 5:38 AM
Steve and Leo, thanks very much for that info. Sounds like I have been using Rock Maple or hard maple. So now I need to find a reliable source of some bigger sections. Hope someone out there can help but in the meantime thanks again for setting me straight.

Michelle Rich
07-15-2010, 6:32 AM
Hi : "rock maple" is just hard maple..I use it (and only it) to make shaker rockers. For joinery, it's the best that I have found. Good luck (it's not expensive wood..mid-range, so it shouldn't hurt you too badly)

John Keeton
07-15-2010, 6:48 AM
Brendan, I have not purchased from them, but Hearne Hardwoods (http://www.hearnehardwoods.com/hardwoods/pricelist/pricelist.html)is well thought of in the woodworking world. You may want to check with them.

Brendan Stemp
07-15-2010, 6:13 PM
Thanks Michelle and John. John I will follow up that lead, it looks like a good one.

Jamie Buxton
07-15-2010, 6:37 PM
If you're willing to source stuff directly from the US, http://www.tablelegs.com/Squares-Blanks/TurningSquares.aspx offers blanks for turning legs. They have soft maple in the dimensions you're talking.

http://www.constantines.com/turningsquares.aspx offers maple turning blanks, hard/soft unspecified.