PDA

View Full Version : Next plane.

paul cottingham
07-14-2010, 11:32 PM
I have asked this here before and I'm back....

I mostly build furniture - side tables, coffee tables, bedside tables, etc. I am ready to buy another plane, and I need advice on what to buy. I own a #4 smoother, 2 blocks, a medium shoulder, and a good jack plane. I also own a router and plow plane.

I am considering a BU jointer, or a BU smoother or a rabbet plane.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Jim Koepke
07-14-2010, 11:46 PM
My first thought would be to consider what you want to do that does not come easy with what you have.

If you need to prepare longer stock, then a BU Jointer could be useful in two ways. It could be used to straighten and flatten the longer stock and would also work well on a shooting board.

I use my plough like a rabbet all the time. A shoulder plane can also be used this way.

A BU Smoother may not offer much advantage over the #4. I bought a BU Jack just to have a good sized plane for shooting end grain and have been very happy with that purchase. It doesn't get a lot of use otherwise.

Of course, that also depends on what woods one uses.

So, everyone can tell you what their favorite plane might be, but in the end you have to figure out what you are doing now that could be done better with another plane.

My best answer might be to just give up and buy them all. Then you do not have to fret about making a decision. :D

jim

paul cottingham
07-15-2010, 12:04 AM
So, everyone can tell you what their favorite plane might be, but in the end you have to figure out what you are doing now that could be done better with another plane.

My best answer might be to just give up and buy them all. Then you do not have to fret about making a decision. :D

jim

Don't think I haven't considered it. I can't afford tools, wood and a divorce.:D

Russell Sansom
07-15-2010, 2:34 AM
My response to this oft-asked question always seems to be the same; My woodworking would be incomplete without a big old jointer.
It seems like almost everything I build requires the #8 (or a #7) somewhere along the way. I find it hard to imagine not having them.

David Weaver
07-15-2010, 8:07 AM
I'm guessing from what you describe, you already are getting everything done fine, and doing your jointing and planing generally with machines.

I don't know if you really need more planes if your intention isn't to do some part of the process by hand.

So that would be my suggestion, figure out what part of the process you've done so far with machines that you want to do by hand, and then go from there, otherwise you're just going to have a plane that makes one of your other planes get used less to do the same thing.

There may be other joinery-related hand tools that you'd get more use out of.

Don Dorn
07-15-2010, 8:45 AM
You have a smoother and a jack - you need a jointer. With those three, and a good block, you are covered. For the record, even though I own some LN planes, I have a LV low angle smoother and recently bought the BU jointer. I must admit that they do the job every bit as well as anything else I own. I wouldn't part with either one and reach for them often.

As a last note - when you get done with your bench planes, there is one more that I have found very useful but doubt I'd get many to agree. It's the LN 10 1/4 Rabbet plane (or Stanley eqivilent). It can easily be used as a jack but I've really used it allot for it's intended purpose. Tried my hand at raising panels and was surprised at how easy and fast it went with this tool. Lot's of room for personal improvement, but the tool did it's part, and then some.

Zach England
07-15-2010, 10:23 AM
I'm guessing from what you describe, you already are getting everything done fine, and doing your jointing and planing generally with machines.

I don't know if you really need more planes if your intention isn't to do some part of the process by hand.

So that would be my suggestion, figure out what part of the process you've done so far with machines that you want to do by hand, and then go from there, otherwise you're just going to have a plane that makes one of your other planes get used less to do the same thing.

There may be other joinery-related hand tools that you'd get more use out of.

Why would anyone want FEWER tools? *very confused*

David Weaver
07-15-2010, 10:35 AM
Why would anyone want FEWER tools? *very confused*

Yeah, I don't know. I can't say I've abided by the advice I gave above, either :o

If the OP is just looking for an excuse to get a plane, I'd get a jointer, and I'd get one of the premium ones - personally it would be a LN #7.

Derby Matthews
07-15-2010, 3:32 PM
Paul, have you thought about using this as your signature? ;)

I can't afford tools, wood and a divorce.:D

paul cottingham
07-15-2010, 4:44 PM
ha! until my wife sees it!

lowell holmes
07-15-2010, 5:28 PM
I have a LV BU smoother that has become my goto plane. Derek Cohen gives it high marks also.

When not using the BU smoother I likely will use my BU jack or my 607 jointer.

I don't use my 604 or my 605 that much. The Bedrocks all have Hock irons.

I'd vote for the smoother myself.

Different strokes for different folks. :)

paul cottingham
07-15-2010, 6:33 PM
Do you use the BU Smoother for shooting? Another question is do you use it more or less than a regular smoother?

Thanks!

Roger Benton
07-15-2010, 7:36 PM
another vote for a jointer here.

the LV BU Jointer may make the most sense; as Jim said it can pull double duty with a shooting board.

lowell holmes
07-15-2010, 11:38 PM
The BU smoother is my smoothing plane period. I have a number 3 Bailey I use occasionally on a small piece.

I use the BU jack on the shooting board.

The 607 is used for jointing and it satisfies my needs for a jointer.

Zach England
07-15-2010, 11:49 PM
another vote for a jointer here.

the LV BU Jointer may make the most sense; as Jim said it can pull double duty with a shooting board.

My bevel-up jointer has a "lip" on the side where the fence attaches, making it useless for shooting.

Zach England
07-15-2010, 11:50 PM
Do you use the BU Smoother for shooting? Another question is do you use it more or less than a regular smoother?

Thanks!

No. The side is not flat.

Rick Erickson
07-16-2010, 7:32 AM
LN #8 all the way. I wouldn't say your set would be complete after this (It NEVER is) but this would fill a huge void (assuming you are doing some stock prep by hand). Even after the jointer or table saw it does the necessary job of cleaning of the blade marks. I couldn't live without mine.

paul cottingham
07-16-2010, 1:21 PM
No. The side is not flat.

Sorry, I meant the low angle smooth.

Joel Goodman
07-16-2010, 2:35 PM
If you want a BU plane the LN BU jack another option. It is smaller and lighter than the LV jack and for me at least often does double duty as a smoother for troublesome wood. It is flat on the sides.

Zach England
07-16-2010, 2:49 PM
Just to clarify...veritas bevel-up jack is flat on sides, BU smoother and BU jointer are not. At least, this is how my planes are. Maybe there have been slight changes made to them through the various production runs?

Chris Griggs
07-16-2010, 3:01 PM
If you want to have a jointer that can also be used for shooting maybe consider the LN Low Angle Jointer. I never personally used it, but (correct me if I'm wrong) my understanding is that LNs hot dog attachment fits on it. Could be pretty versatile if that's what your looking for.

Jim Koepke
07-16-2010, 3:54 PM
If you want to have a jointer that can also be used for shooting maybe consider the LN Low Angle Jointer. I never personally used it, but (correct me if I'm wrong) my understanding is that LNs hot dog attachment fits on it. Could be pretty versatile if that's what your looking for.

I bought the LN Low Angle Jack, #62, specifically for shooting. It is also great at other tasks. The Hot Dog was purchased at the same time. The Hot Dog is designed specifically for the #9 Miter Plane. The Hot Dog did fit on my LN #62, but to fit exactly how I wanted it to fit required a few minutes of filing the slot in the hot dog. No big deal.

My thoughts are there is more attention paid to the machining on the sides of the #9. The sides on the #62 are lapped and the inside painted.

Of course, some of us have also made our own "Hot Dogs" for the use on various planes for shooting board use.

My reason for purchasing the #62 Low Angle Jack for shooting was an old shoulder injury that gives me trouble after doing a lot of shooting with a standard angle plane. It has helped a bit.

jim