PDA

View Full Version : While my Wife and I were out today.......

Kevin Arceneaux
12-04-2004, 10:58 PM
we stopped at an unpainted furniture place. It was really dissappointing. For the prices they were asking for things, the quality really sucked. A few years ago before we got interested in woodworking, we probably would have been impressed. Now I look at it and go, jeez, I can do that good and I am not that good, still learning.

For what they are asking for an entertainment center I can get the wood and two new tools. :)

John Miliunas
12-04-2004, 11:08 PM
For what they are asking for an entertainment center I can get the wood and two new tools. :)

THAT's the spirit! :D I especially like the "new tools" part! :) :cool:

Jim O'Dell
12-04-2004, 11:11 PM

That's the spirit...new tools!! You're right, though. and I've got several pieces of their stuff in my house. Usually when I tell my wife that I can build that, she says Yeah?? In what century?? Currently I'm working on getting a bandsaw so I can build her the Kitchen she wants. She just shakes her head....Jim.

Dick Parr
12-05-2004, 12:45 AM
Kevin, that's what I did. And I got more then 2 tools out of it and still saved some money. :D

Fred Voorhees
12-05-2004, 9:06 AM
I know what you mean Kevin! A number of years ago when I was building the bedroom set in our home, I went to a local furniture outlet because I saw a bed advertised in one of their circulars and I wanted to take a closer look for some ideas. Well, turns out that the bed wasn't in stock in the store, nor on display. However, I did take a cruise around the store and took a look at the various pieces on display and I was very dissapointed in what I saw. Those of us who enjoy woodworking see the various little flaws and inconsistencies where the average Joe off of the street who doesn't even own a coping saw would praise the piece as a work of art.

I take a look at many of these pieces and know that I could more than likely produce a copy of it and come up with a much better quality item when its all said and done. My biggest problem is finding the time to do such a thing.

Lou Morrissette
12-05-2004, 9:20 AM
Think about it. Those unfinished places are God's gift to anyone trying to justify buying new tools. Just take a walk around any of these places and you can justify any tool.:D

Ernie Hobbs
12-05-2004, 9:26 AM
Now you're talking! At least someone thinks like me. I have been ruined for buying furniture my whole life, since my Dad builds furniture. The only time I can justify buying something from a store is if it is really, really cheap at a going out of business sale or something like that. Even then, I feel like I am compromising my integrity by buying something of inferior quality. Since I could never afford my standards of quality, I might as well make it myself. I think my wife, after almost ten years of marriage, she is coming around to my way of thinking.-- lots of projects on my to-do list.

Dan Mages
12-05-2004, 9:29 AM
we stopped at an unpainted furniture place. It was really dissappointing. For the prices they were asking for things, the quality really sucked. A few years ago before we got interested in woodworking, we probably would have been impressed. Now I look at it and go, jeez, I can do that good and I am not that good, still learning.

I totally agree!! Most of the furniture I see is made from pressboard with some paper veneer or laminent that will last me a few years before they fall apart. For that type of money, why not build your own?

Dan