PDA

View Full Version : Electric razor suggestions?

Bruce Page
07-14-2010, 8:04 PM
I came home today to find my trusty Norelco shaver destroyed by my 2 year old Labrador.:confused::mad: I have been a Norelco guy for years but I’m thinking now might be a good time for something different.

I don’t have a clue on what is on the market these days. Any suggestions on a good electric shaver?

John Keeton
07-14-2010, 8:41 PM
Blades!!! As I recall, I tried 3 separate times BB (before beard) with electric razors, and the beard on my neck just wouldn't take it. I ended up with a rash everytime. Obviously it has worked for you, but the blades these days are nice. Just a thought......but, you are probably too old to change!!:D:D;)

Chris Harry
07-14-2010, 8:44 PM
Love my panasonic. its actually my first electric, I just got tired of paying lots of $$$ for blade refills that are lasting less and less shaves nowadays.

The model is es8243a, its a 4 blade. I also tried the 3 blade and in some ways preffered it.

It took my face a little time to become accustomed to the electric, and its not QUITE as close as a blade shave, but overall Im happier with electric than non.

Bruce Page
07-14-2010, 8:48 PM
John, I shave with blades about 3 days a week to keep my beard under control and the Norelco the rest of the time. I have a beard much like yours. (not as white:p)
I'm too lazy to use the Gillette every day.

Charlie Reals
07-14-2010, 9:47 PM
I gave up shaving in 1969 . 1/2" in summer and up to 8 inches long in winter. Best neck warmer going lol.

Bruce Page
07-14-2010, 9:50 PM
I gave up shaving in 1969 . 1/2" in summer and up to 8 inches long in winter. Best neck warmer going lol.

Ala ZZ Top in the winter? :D

Mike Circo
07-15-2010, 9:30 AM
I got a Braun for my son when he started shaving. He didn't like it. So I figured we'd trade. I gave up my brand new Norelco and took the Braun.

He was right. Although the Braun works well and shaves super close. It is SLOOOOW. I have to go over the same spot 4 or 5 times to clear out the beard. Granted, my Italian "wire-brush" beard may be hard on a razor, but I wasn't happy. Also, if I skip a day, it refuses to cut the long whiskers without many-many passes and lots of irritation. In general, I get a lot of razor burn using it, probably from the many passes needed to get all the hairs.

Had to get myself another Norelco and I couldn't be happier.

Dave Gaul
07-15-2010, 9:43 AM
Blades tear my face up big time!!

I've used Norelco's for 15 years and love them. First one was the one that squirts the lotion on your face, it worked quite well and kept my face from getting tore up. Then, I got a newer Speed XL model, and instead of the the lotion is use the 'Lectric Shave pre-shave stuff and it works wonders!!

Back to OP's question, if you've like your Norelco for a long time, I wouldn't bother changing... if it ain't broke, don't fix it right?!

Dan Friedrichs
07-15-2010, 9:48 AM
The Norelco (or other rotary ones) seem really rough (they don't shave as close and irritate a lot). The linear ones (like the Brauns) seem to get closer and irritate less, but take a lot longer.

I bought a Norelco to try, and noticed that the directions state that Norelco would allow you to return it after 30 days if you aren't satisfied with it. Consider that option! Apparently the manufacturers are OK with you trying it for awhile, and returning it to them if you don't like it.

Jerome Stanek
07-15-2010, 10:38 AM
Norelco here I did buy an expensive Wahl that worked nice for about 6 months then needed a new head for it. The head cost $10 less than the whole shaver. I was at the home and cooking show this year and stopped at the Wahl booth to see if 6 months was to short a time for these heads and they said I should replace them every 3 months. Are they crazy I told them I didn't want a disposable shaver I will stick with my Norelco.

Dave Gaul
07-15-2010, 10:44 AM
Another thought for Norelco, my second Norelco's battery went on the fritz after about 10 months or so. I called Norelco and told them about it, they ask when I bought it, told them I received as a gift that past Christmas (which was true), and the said to ship it back, and the would ship me a new one, free of charge! They emailed me a shipping label, and within about two weeks (IIRC) I had a brand new razor, and it's been going strong for 5+ years now.

Jeff Monson
07-15-2010, 11:41 AM
Norelco here also, I usually spend around $100.00 for a good rechargable one and they seem to last for about 3 years. I have tried the braun a few years ago and did not like it, the rotary head is hard to beat.

Jim O'Dell
07-15-2010, 12:29 PM
I'm also a Norelco user. I've had 2 different ones over the last 25 years. I don't have a heavy beard, but I've never had any irritation from them, at least after the 2 week break in period. Jim.

Dave Gaul
07-15-2010, 1:01 PM
I'm also a Norelco user. I've had 2 different ones over the last 25 years. I don't have a heavy beard, but I've never had any irritation from them, at least after the 2 week break in period. Jim.

Jim makes a good point... the break in period is very important! I remember having lots of irritation for the first week or so, but as long as I shave everyday, with no more than a 2 day break, I get no irritation at all.

Bruce Page
07-15-2010, 9:03 PM
Thanks guys. I just ordered another Norelco.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Bill Cunningham
07-15-2010, 9:15 PM
When it comes to electric, the rotary ones have always been the best for me (Remington or Norelco... (Still remember Santa sliding down that hill on the shaving heads at Christmas:D) . The Braun is for people who shave every single day, so the stubble will be short enough to actually fit through those little holes in the head. If you leave it a day or two, there is no way any ones beard will find their way through the holes and not just fold over out of the way.. I started using triple gillette blades when they came out, and now their up to 5 blades (fusion). Shave in the shower, for a face smoother than a babies bum ...