PDA

View Full Version : Crazy idea or not?

mark stone
04-04-2003, 7:54 PM
I have been woodworking for about 23 years as a hobby. I have also been in the technology field for about as long. I'm thinking about taking my skill and turning them into a full time business. I've read many books on preparing a business plan for a business loan. Also to be used for a successful business reference going forward. The only part that's holding me back is fear.
I'v built pieces for people in the past, and they raved about the quality.
My present job will not allow me to do both due to lack of time.
I guess I'm looking for some stories from the folks that have tried and either were successful or failed. I'm hoping to learn from them.
I possess most of the tools/machinery needed to get started and most of the books needed to price labor etc.
I know it is a tough field to get started, but if anyone would be willing to give some advise I would be greatful.

Thanks,
Mark :confused:

jack duren
04-04-2003, 9:52 PM
this is a real touchy subject. im more on the cabinet end of woodworking and building up to furniture. best ill offer is my phone number 1-816-230-0066. i have unlimited minutes on the cell on weekends also, if your interested....jack

Charles McKinley
04-04-2003, 11:05 PM
The Small Business Administration has centers at universities accross the nation to help review your business plan. SCORE (Service Core of Retired Excutives) is also available. They can help you crunch the numbers, market evaluation, marketing.

Good luck. I'm starting a business myself. There are a lot of things to look at. I'm a stay at home dad looking to bring in some supplimental income.

mark stone
04-05-2003, 8:37 AM
Hello All,
I just wanted to thank the folks that replied to my thread. Great advise!
Jack, you will probably be hearing from me. It's nice to see that there are folks that are not afraid to share their knowledge...

Mark :)