PDA

View Full Version : incra router table systems

Louie Ballis
07-14-2010, 5:30 PM
After using my entry level router table and learning (sometimes the hard way) of its limitations. I am considering upgrading to a higher end system. I am considering an incra (type 3) router table and fence or something similar, does anyone have any feedback for me regarding this or perhaps another system? Is the incra fence system that much better/more verstile?

There is a table saw version that is compatible with my grizz cabinet saw. But since the router table in the TS is not the main router I would be using in my shop, and since I do like the Bismeyer (clone) fence that came with the grizz. I am hesitant to get the table saw version. Is this a mistake?

Any feedback would be appericated.

thanks

Louie

Chris Harry
07-14-2010, 5:57 PM
I have both.

While I havent used them a lot, they sure are pretty nice looking ;) Seriously though, I find it especially handy at the router table. No need to measure distance to bit, just zero the fence out (by making it flush with the far edge of the bit) then slide back until the required distance lines up in the window. Get close enough and then just use the micro-adjust. I recently used it for a vertical panel bit.....since I couldnt do it all in one pass, I figured out the final distance the fence needed to be at, set the ruler marker to 0, then pulled the fence back a bit. Then just took 1/16" passes until I was done. Worked out really well.

And thats without even using it for what its intended (joinery). I also have the WonderFence and it helps dust collection quite a bit. Someday Ill be able to get around to using it for dovetails and such.

The table saw setup is also nice, but I dont use the router in the TS so the real use is just as a fence. The repeatability and micro-adjustability is nice there as well, but if you have a good Bies (or clone) it might not be worth upgrading. I had the stock fence on my Ridgid 4511 which left a little to be desired, so I jumped on the chance to get a used Incra TS setup.

Louie Ballis
07-14-2010, 6:08 PM
Thanks for your input Chris. The first thing that I too thought about the Incra fence system is that it sure does look good (lol).

In your comments you make it sound that repeatability is made ezer with this system, which sounds real good to me. I would like to use this primarily for joinery (box joints, dovetails etc). And I wonder if it is all that it is cracked up to be?

I guess it s like the Carter bandsaw guides and stabilizer. Up until I installed them I had little use for my bandsaw because I felt that I couldnt trust it, but once I had upgraded the guides I had a breakthru. I was wondering if I would experiance the same with this system.

Louie

Van Huskey
07-14-2010, 6:30 PM
First, let me say I love Incra and like both the TS fence and Router fence/joinery system.

Second, be aware the Incra system is NOT the best for dovetails etc on larger boxes like cabinet drawers. It does not handle tall pieces easily. For that I recommend a seperate DT jig. It works REALLY well on small to small/medium pieces. I always find ways to use the joinery functions but short of that is is an EXCELLENT router fence.

Third, I prefer the TS fence to Beismeyer or similar. I love the accuracy and repeatability. I trust the fence BUT something in the back of my head always seems to yearn for the mass of a "regular" fence. The Incra does take a second or two longer to slap into place, but less time if you are trying to be exact. If you are doing work where a 1/16th doesn't matter the Beismeyer etc will be quicker. The Incra is also not as nice when cutting tall items like tenons or splines in boxes, but you can add a tall fence if you feel the need.

Finally, the Incra TS and router fence combo saves money and space BUT I find it works better on a saw with the motor on the right that way you can face the router bit, on saws with left side motors your router table is on the right side BUT you work to the LEFT of the fence, unlike when you mount a fence to the back of a standard TS fence and work on the right thus being able to move around three sides of the router table (two if you have a big outfeed table).

Chris Harry
07-14-2010, 7:01 PM
Yeah I havent tried it with really tall items. i can see how it might not be as good, but I think it would be OK at least for normal depth drawers. Or at least I hope so, because thats what I intend to use it for (closet organizer for the baby girl)

Van Huskey
07-14-2010, 7:05 PM
Yeah I havent tried it with really tall items. i can see how it might not be as good, but I think it would be OK at least for normal depth drawers. Or at least I hope so, because thats what I intend to use it for (closet organizer for the baby girl)

One could work around it with care and maybe a jig. Just not the tool for someone who wants to do a lot of bigger DT projects, thats where a DT jig like the Omnijig, Akeda or Leigh shine.

Steve Bigelow
07-14-2010, 7:29 PM
I've had the Incra system for maybe 9 years now on my router table. As others have noted, it does OK on smaller pieces. Doing larger pieces, it doesn't work quite as good.

I've made quite a few box joints with it, and it does pretty good at those. I've also done several dovetails on it, and those generally turn out OK, but the setup is definitely fussier than on my DT jig.

I did use it to make this little trinket box
http://woodworking.bigelowsite.com/incra_projects/trinket_box1/index.htm

including cutting the thin strips of wood. The double dovetails are easier to make than you would think.

For my TS setup, I've got the Vega fence that I outfitted with the Wixey digital readout, and for ripping operations, that is much easier than messing with the Incra fence.

Bill LaPointe
07-14-2010, 8:07 PM
Chris,

I bought the TS/LS system a year ago and it has done everything that I expected. There is a learning curve to the box and dovetail system and it gives a different "feel " on the fence as compared to a Bies fence. As far as tall pieces, you use the fence extrusion, just as you would a wood height extension. Just different material. I have no regrets on the money spent.

Michael Simpson Virgina
07-15-2010, 5:21 AM
I dont have a Incra Table but I do have Incra Jig Pro Fence. I have a home made table as well as the large monster Kreg table.

For use on both tables I have the Incra Fenc, Kreg Fence and a Freud Micro Sjust Split Fence. For most things I prefer my Incra Fence.

I have mode box, joints and dovetails with it.

I used the Incra Jig to make these legs as well.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=154500&d=1277704342

The Jig was also used to create the rabit for the bottom insert.