PDA

View Full Version : Grinding jig leads to new grinder and...

Brian Greb
07-14-2010, 4:56 PM
So I guess Murphy is my close friend. I had been free hand sharpening my lathe tools since I started turning. Then at the last turning club meeting I actually used the one-way jig... it is a bit more complicated than just free handing it but I can't argue with the quality of the grind. So I broke down and bought a wolverine jig and a vri-grind holder(got it for a good price too). Then when I went to install the jig on my grinder I found that the base of the grinder was to wide to allow proper mounting of the jig parts:eek:(who would have taught a C'Man 6" would have such a problem)... so I went out and got a new slow speed grinder(I went with the 8" this time:cool:). Now with my new toys I needed a new "fancy" grinder cart so i started building one. This new cart is 13"x24"x38.5", and has drop down arms that accept my tool rolls... I plan to add more tool holders in the open area under the grinder but this is good enough to get me back turning. I'll post pics of the finished stand later. Till then here is what it looks like now....

Thom Sturgill
07-14-2010, 5:16 PM
The vortex strikes again! next you will need a gauge to make sure that the point sticks out of the vari-grind the same each time (easy to make) and that the pocket is the same distance from the wheel each time for each type of grind (a little more complicated). Make room for them on the cart.

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-14-2010, 5:41 PM
Do you mean you haven't yet bought the wheel dresser and balancing system? You have lots to spend before you can call this project complete. Remember, it's all for therapy.
fmr

John Keeton
07-14-2010, 6:34 PM
I liken the vortex to remodeling an older home - and, we have done several.

The project always costs twice as much as planned, takes three times as long as you thought it would, never turns out quite like you planned, and most importantly, you NEVER GET DONE! Everytime you tear out something, it is always "well, while I am in here, might as well replace this and redo that" and "well, it is only a couple hundred more to put in the better product."

The bottomless abyss!!!:eek:

Joe Shinall
07-14-2010, 6:44 PM
I feel your pain. I bought a Wolverine and the 6" I had wouldn't fit either. So I opted for the 8" slow speed from Woodcraft. Just set it up last week and lovin it.

Bernie Weishapl
07-14-2010, 9:06 PM
The bottomless pit has struck again.

Michael James
07-14-2010, 9:30 PM
and when you holler there is no echo.....that's one deep rabbithole!:eek:
In search of the perfect grind................. nirvana is only 1 more gizmo away!!!;) Submit and forgive yourself for resisting.

Roger Chandler
07-14-2010, 10:34 PM
I liken the vortex to remodeling an older home - and, we have done several.

The project always costs twice as much as planned, takes three times as long as you thought it would, never turns out quite like you planned, and most importantly, you NEVER GET DONE! Everytime you tear out something, it is always "well, while I am in here, might as well replace this and redo that" and "well, it is only a couple hundred more to put in the better product."

The bottomless abyss!!!:eek:

I'll second that observation! Done it too many times, and spent more than I planned more than once! :eek: