PDA

View Full Version : 6" snaplock from HD? Collapse?

doug barr
07-14-2010, 4:05 PM
I was thinking about setting up my DC(2HP from Grizzly) with 6" snaplock from HD...I am worried about pipe collapse. I could imagime if you turned on the unit with everything closed it might happen, but if you remember to have at least 1 blast gate open would this be a problem? Looking for advice from those of you who have set up their system using this product. . Don't really want to pay for spiral. Might have to go with PVC(astm 2729) but then I am concerned about shocks and grounding! Seems like any way you go there is a problem. Thanks for your advice. Doug

Ken Fitzgerald
07-14-2010, 4:27 PM
Doug,

Check out this thread especially page 2. John Keeton used some 30 gauge and it collapsed.

Check it out: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=79131&page=2

BTW My 3hp Oneida is run with snaplock but it's the heavier gauge. I forget what gauge I used now but it's worked fine.

Cliff Holmes
07-14-2010, 4:48 PM
I forget the exact gauge, but I think 26 is what you're looking for. HD & Lowes stock 30, which is way too thin.

As for grounding PVC, I don't argue anymore, I just post a link ... http://www.thewoodnerd.com/articles/dustExplosion.html

Alan Bienlein
07-14-2010, 6:25 PM
Here is a link to a picture of mine. I bought it all at home depot. It's either 26 or 28 guage. I made rings out of 1/2" plywood for the ductwork to slide thru to support it and also act as a way to mount it. I did have a piece collapse but it was a piece I tried to connect to some flex while it was running and it collapsed the unsupported end almost instantly. I can have all of my blast gates closed with no problem.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=119051&page=2
It's post number 18.

Rod Sheridan
07-14-2010, 6:39 PM
Like Alan, I use the snaplock without incident as I put 2 wood hanger rings on each 5 foot section, to space the pipe into 4 equal segments.

No problems whatsoever.

Regards, Rod.

Jamie Buxton
07-14-2010, 10:04 PM
The ducting in my shop is all 6" snaplock from HD. Dunno what gauge. The cyclone 2 HP. I've never seen any threat of collapse.

Jim Becker
07-15-2010, 9:09 AM
HD does sell 26 gage snap-lock, (sometimes called stove pipe) but it's not easy to find and you'll need to settle for 24" sections most of the time. Check for a local HVAC supply as they may have the same in 5' sections. That said, Oneida's price on snap lock isn't uncompetitive, in my experience. The same can be said for Kencraft.

Sam Layton
07-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Hi Doug,

I used HD 6" and 8" snap lock for my system. I have a 3 hp cyclone. The Home Depot was closing and moving to another location, so everything was discounted a lot. So I could not resist.

I did like Rod. I used wood hangers, and that gave a lot of support. It felt flimsy to me. So, I doubled it. I snap locked one section, then I placed another section over that and used the HVAC aluminum tape to seal everything and pop rivets. With the double wall pipe, and the wood ring mounting brackets, it is strong. However, I make sure at least one 6" port is always open.

Would I do it again, NO. 26 gage is much better.

I did some more work with snap lock, and used 26 gage, what a difference. I purchased the 26 gage from McMaster Carr.

Sam

David Hostetler
07-16-2010, 5:25 PM
I just recently started picking up 5" snap lock from Home Depot. 26 ga. I am not sure, but I think Lowes carries the exact same SKU... Maybe it's a northern thing going with the thinner snap lock. I don't know...

Clay Baldwin
07-17-2010, 4:12 PM
Check your lumber companies like Carter and 84 Lumber. Carter by me, Chardon, Ohio, carries 24 gauge in 4,5,6, and 7 inch, 24 gauge pipe, plus some el's, 45's, and wyes.

Derrell W Sloan
07-17-2010, 9:05 PM
There use to be a video on the web site 'woodworkingchannel.com' that showed the dust collection system in a shop that used thin gauge snap lock. They fixed an end cap that was held closed with a strong spring that would open up if the suction got too strong to prevent the pipes from collapsing. It was pretty slick. They used to have videos of a woodworking show on that site that were pretty good but I don't remember what the name of it was.