PDA

View Full Version : Home A/C recommendation

Lee Schierer
07-14-2010, 3:08 PM
My mother wants to have A/C added to her oil furnace. Three companies have given her quotes for about the same price. One was for a Ruud, one for Luxaire and the third was for Weatherking. Are any of these brands better than the other? None of the bigger brand name dealers would give her a quote due to her distance from them.

Jim Finn
07-14-2010, 7:24 PM
I was in the AC business many years ago and found that many of the manf. use the same compressor makers in their product. I suggest you look at warantees and leval of customer service from the installers.
Good luck.

Michael Weber
07-14-2010, 8:23 PM
The Ruud and Weatherking are both made by Rheem so probably identical assuming your getting the same size and efficiency.

John M Wilson
07-14-2010, 9:28 PM
I realize that free opinions are worth what you pay for them, but I used to work with a guy whose "hobby" was HVAC stuff. When I was having an addition put on my house, I needed a new AC unit, and figured I would replace the whole shot, as it was about time. I asked his recommendation & before he gave me the brand name, he warned me that I had never heard of them. It's Goodman, and apparently they only advertise to folks in the profession, nothing on TV or in magazines, etc. So, I visited their website, picked out the model that I thought had the features I wanted, & set up a meeting with my HVAC guy. Before I told him I had been doing research, I asked him what he thought the best value manufacturer was, and he said "you never heard of them, but it's Goodman". When I got out my Goodman brochures, he was stunned. Anyway, I got a two stage heat unit with a variable speed blower, and that was the best decision I have ever made. When the unit is on low speed (99% of the time) it is nearly silent. Good looking stuff, fabulous warranty, and no problems so far (5 yrs +). I give my highest recommendation. Good Luck!