PDA

View Full Version : Please recommend a good tire pressure gauge

Louis Brandt
07-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Hello,

I just posted a question about inflating tires. Now, I need a recommendation for a good quality tire pressure gauge. I have several of the pencil-stick type, but they aren't very consistent in their readings. I'd like something that is consistent and easy to read. It probably should be a dial type.

I've you've got one that you recommend, I'd like to know the brand name and where you bought it.

Thanks,
Louis

John O'Brien
07-14-2010, 1:00 PM
Motorhome magazine had an article this month (Aug 2010) on tire gauges.

some of the accurate ones were from;

minderresearch.com model tmg-330-39
slime.com model 20071
globaltrucker.com models rp3238p2 and jl-5008b3
northerntool.com model s-976

the dial ones they tested did not rate well on accuracy.

you may be able to find the magazine at the library to see the whole article, or Barnes and Noble.

john

Pat Germain
07-14-2010, 1:38 PM
the dial ones they tested did not rate well on accuracy.

The stick gauges were actually more accurate? I ask because in my experience dial gauges were far superior to stick gauges.

Kent A Bathurst
07-14-2010, 1:40 PM
This one has worked great for me. One in each vehicle, one extra on the wall by the door to the driveway. All have gotta be 5+ years old, with not a single problem. Ten bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Accutire-MS-4021B-Standard-Digital-Gauge/dp/B00080QHMM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1279128283&sr=8-4

The theory is that "someone" in the house can actually pro-actively check the tire pressure on her vehicles, compare it to the info plate on the driver's door jamb, take the air compressor hose, disconnect the blow-off nozzle, connect the coiled air hose by the same door to the driveway - the coiled hose that is always there, and always has a tire inflator nozzle mounted - drag the hose to the offending tire, and reload - using a digital pressure gauge that shows a number. When that number matches the number from the info plate, tire is OK. This is in theory only, of course.

In practice, however, the easier route appears to be "Dear - could you look at a tire on my _________, please?"
"Yes, Dear - Of course. I'd be happy to."

Harry Hagan
07-14-2010, 5:14 PM
A dial gauge. For the most accurate reading, make sure the upper limit onyour gauge is double the desired psi for your tires. For example, if your recommended inflation is 40 psi, the max reading on your gauge should be around 80 psi.

Mike Cutler
07-15-2010, 4:00 PM
Whether Dial, Stick, or digital, there is no way outside of calibration check against a known standard that any one can be assured of being more accurate than the others simply based on design, or physical principal of operation.
The only attribute of accuracy that can be attributed to one design versus another is resolution, or the readability of the indicator. Resolution has nothing to with accuracy, other than to more closely resolve a deviation of a specified reading, versus the known standard.
Use whatever you are comfortable with.

FYI.
It is much cheaper to manufacture an accurate digital indicator than an accurate analog gauge.

32 years of experience calibrating all types of pressure indicators, gauges, and pressure sensing devices.