PDA

View Full Version : Couple of picture frame questions

Troy Turner
07-14-2010, 12:30 PM
So I'm making some frames for certs for my boys. Design and assembly are easy. However, curious about the glass and backing.

1. BORG has thin, picture frame looking glass. I belive it's enough to do 2 or 3 8x10 frames for about $5. That sound good or should I get it elsewhere or use plexi?

2. What do ya'll use for backing? Was thinking about 1/8" hardboard, but again, it doesn't always work out right when I get to thinking :)

As always, thanks for the inputs!!!

Ed Howe
07-14-2010, 12:47 PM
I've used the BORG plexi for things hanging in my daughter's room. It has worked out fine so far. I can't say anything about cost relative to other sources, though.

For backing, I usually use matte board. If you're framing something nice, acid-free matte board would be my recommendation. Hardboard should work if you're not as concerned about the contents lasting for many years without any deterioration. I can't say from experience whether or not hardboard would affect the contents, but I usually try to err on the safe side.

Michael Simpson Virgina
07-14-2010, 2:00 PM
I have used hardboard but you need to make sure it does not come in contact with the cert. So use some acid free matt or other stock.

I prefer glass over plexi. You can get some resonable framing glass from your arts and crafts stores. Many glass suppliers also keep standard sizes pre-cut.

David Thompson 27577
07-14-2010, 2:12 PM
If you want long term durability, then use an acid-free backer like others have suggested -- otherwise, just about anything will work.

And I prefer glass over plexi. Plexi will scratch with normal cleanings, glass will not.

Troy Turner
07-14-2010, 2:20 PM
Didn't even think to call a glass company and see what they have on hand. Hobby Lobby doesn't do the glass anymore, but they'd probably be a good source for the acid-free backer? These are their belt certs from Tae Kwon Do, so I'd like to preserve them best I could.

Lee Schierer
07-14-2010, 2:22 PM
What you want for an 8 x 10 frame is "single strength" glass. Call your local glass shops for a comparative price. I like using acid free foam core board for the backing material.

Jon Bonham
07-14-2010, 2:33 PM
I use a local glass place. I believe most picture frame glass usually runs me about $6 for ~9x11.

Dan Friedrichs
07-14-2010, 3:20 PM
Home Depot has precut pieces of single strength glass. IIRC, it was about half the cost of what a craft store wanted.

Scot Ferraro
07-14-2010, 8:02 PM
I used to use glass (Lowe's will custom cut it still for free and as others have mentioned, HD has pre-cut pieces for common frame sizes). However, I have recently started using plexiglass -- it can easily be cut with regular tools, it is lighter weight and it does not break. It does cost a little more, but for me the benefits are worth it over traditional glass.

Scot

Rod Sheridan
07-14-2010, 8:09 PM
My local glass supplier cuts 3mm glass to size, a piece for a certificate is about $3..........Rod.

Pat O'malley
07-14-2010, 11:01 PM
I go to the dollar store and buy frames, for a buck each you get the glass, backing and the easle to use in your frame.

Rich Engelhardt
07-15-2010, 7:14 AM
I go to the dollar store and buy frames, for a buck each you get the glass, backing and the easle to use in your frame.

+1 to that.

Troy Turner
07-15-2010, 9:27 AM
Yeah, I'd seen the cheap'o frames at Wally World for a couple of bucks, but all them had the plexi. I'll have to check out the dollar store and see what they have. Because I kept putting it off, I have about 25 of them to do. But she said if I don't get them done, she's going to buy some ;)

Jeff Gunter
07-15-2010, 5:09 PM
At 25 of them, you could consider buying a glass cutter and knocking them out of larger glass stock yourself. Cutting glass into rectangles isn't that hard (unless you a klutz); it's not like cutting inside curves in heavy stained glass stock. A rough guess would be that you could get the single strength glass for $50 to $75, figure $10 for a cheap but good-enough cutter and some kerosene to lubricate it. If you do find cheap frames w/ real glass it could definitely be an attractive option. Another thing to consider; are your kids safe around untempered glass? If they put an object through plain-o-winda-glass it'll make sharps.