PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Used the NEW Stanely 60 1/2 Low Angle Block?

Jake Rothermel
07-14-2010, 12:20 PM
I don't know if I can link to Stanley's website or not, but they've a few planes that I've not seen before. I know they're coming out with some new chisels later in the year and I found their newer model (I'm assuming it's fairly new) No. 60-1/2 LABP. Anyone picked one of these puppies up? Anyone actually used one?

It looks like they're retailing for about twice what a BORG store would sell the OLD Stanley block planes and about half of what LN or LV is currently selling theirs for. I'm curious, as I love Stanley tools of old and am fervently hoping their new reincarnation can actually compete with the modern hand tools makers. If nothing else, just so the name doesn't stay tarnished...

I'd love to get some reactions. -jake

Zach England
07-14-2010, 1:03 PM
I have never used it but most of the reviews I have seen are quite negative.

Mike Brady
07-14-2010, 2:43 PM
The intoduction of the new Stanley planes has drawn mostly....crickets....from the woodworking community. That doesn't mean they are not selling to someone, of course. Most complaints centered around inconsistent quality control and machining errors. If I was a company as large as Stanley I would get some product into the hands of users who could articulate their thoughts and help spread the word. Unfortunately, even the magazine editors got planes that were clearly faulty, which means that the people who sent them out had no clue as to how a plane should work.
I'm always amazed at the ineptness of the power tool maker's reps at box home center weekend demos. I get the feeling that very few people in those organizatios have a working knowledge of tool function.

James Scheffler
07-14-2010, 6:12 PM
I don't know if I can link to Stanley's website or not, but they've a few planes that I've not seen before. I know they're coming out with some new chisels later in the year and I found their newer model (I'm assuming it's fairly new) No. 60-1/2 LABP. Anyone picked one of these puppies up? Anyone actually used one?

It looks like they're retailing for about twice what a BORG store would sell the OLD Stanley block planes and about half of what LN or LV is currently selling theirs for. I'm curious, as I love Stanley tools of old and am fervently hoping their new reincarnation can actually compete with the modern hand tools makers. If nothing else, just so the name doesn't stay tarnished...

I'd love to get some reactions. -jake

I was very interested in this plane and looked for online reviews, but didn't find much. I recently bought an old Stanley No. 65 instead that I happened to see at a dealer store. FWIW, you can probably find an old plane in excellent condition (even at dealer prices), which along with a 1/8" A2 $30 replacement blade from Lee Valley would come in around (or below) the $100-ish price tag of the new plane.

On the other hand, the new plane looks nice in the pictures and on paper (for example, it has a 1/8" A2 blade too). If you happened to get one that was machined correctly, it would probably work pretty well. If you buy from somewhere that has good customer service/liberal return policy, it's probably not a big risk.

Jim S.

Derby Matthews
07-14-2010, 7:05 PM
Ive got an older model 30 years + old I'd sell you for $50 conus. With a spare blade

brian c miller
07-14-2010, 7:31 PM
It's HUGE compared to the old one,even bigger than my LV LA block. I didn't like mine at all and sold it AFTER having to send it back once due to stripped threads.

I'd pass and pick up something else.

Derby Matthews
07-15-2010, 4:14 PM
You mean the new ones are huge compared to the old models Brian? I noticed that too. The new ones look really clunky. The older ones fit pretty well in hand.

brian c miller
07-15-2010, 9:52 PM
Yes, if you the kind of person who thinks the LV low angle block is big then the new one is HUGE. I felt more like a #4 w/o a handel.

I picked mine up for $30 dollars used and even at the price I'd say pass. I had to send it back once to get repaired - the threads in the cap were cut oversized and eventually stripped.

The replacement wasn't much better... I could only close the mouth to maybe a 1/16" or so. All in all it was just poorly machined.

I'd pass, find someone witha decent older stanley.

John A. Callaway
07-16-2010, 3:06 AM
for about another sixty bucks, you can get the LN 60 1/2. Hold out for that sixty bucks extra. seems worth it. Even the guys at a wood craft store told me to do the same thing. Sometimes, even at a hundred bucks, it doesnt make it a high quality tool. I got to compare the two side by side, that sixty dollar difference is HUGE in every way shape and form.

Derby Matthews
07-16-2010, 8:34 PM
if your budget allows I agree - go with the LN for $160.

If not, PM me and you wont be sorry paying just a Grant for a 60's new old stock as-Mint 60- 1/2 plane with a spare blade still in the wrapper. :cool: This one comes from a time when Stanley still made good tools, here in America. I have two. Only need one.