PDA

View Full Version : Switch to Firefox?

Sean Troy
07-14-2010, 12:17 PM
Hi all, I'm asking for valid reasons to switch from IE8 to Firefox. I also use Chrome because I like the speed. Lately, IE8 has been a pain. If I was to switch, do I need to delete IE or just hide it? Thanks for any help, Sean

Pat Germain
07-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Firefox is fast, reliable and secure. You don't need to deinstall IE. You might need it. Sometimes, a web site just won't work correctly unless you're using IE. (I really hate that. But it does happen.)

Scott Shepherd
07-14-2010, 12:35 PM
You'd only need to tell Firefox that you want to use it as the default browser. I've been a big firefox fan for years, but Chrome is starting to become my browser of choice. I love the front page of Chrome with all the windows of sites. I didn't like the browser at first, but I've learned to really like it. More so than Firefox.

George Sanders
07-14-2010, 12:41 PM
I use Firefox and I really like the add ons. WOT is one that lets you know in advance of clicking a link if it is safe, questionable or downright dangerous. It displays a green, yellow or red circle after the link to forewarn you.

Dave Wagner
07-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Firefox works great! No need to uninstall your current browser, FF will actually import your bookmarks and everything...

glenn bradley
07-14-2010, 12:52 PM
I run IE, Firefox and Chrome. There are sadly some things that still require IE. I even have to keep IE-6 installed for a work application. No need to de-install unless your hurting for room. It could come in handy later.

Jerome Hanby
07-14-2010, 1:26 PM
IE is a big bag of (well that too) controls many of them get pulled into other programs so even if you could delete it big probability that other errors would ensue. By all means ditch it as your browser and give any site that requires it heck. Maybe they will get with the program (pun intended).

Rick Prosser
07-14-2010, 1:34 PM
I use Firefox as my default browser - only use IE when I (sometimes) have to. Chrome would probably be nice, but I have not spent the time using it to become comfortable.

The IT dept at work suggests Firefox - even though IE is the default browser for all work PCs. (Corp mandate)

The one thing I have noticed about Firefox - it takes longer to load than IE at work and at home. Not a lot, but noticeable.

mike holden
07-14-2010, 3:04 PM
I heard lots of good things about firefox, so I tried it. Never looked back.
DO NOT delete IE though, you can only download the MS updates via IE.
Mike

Sean Troy
07-14-2010, 3:50 PM
Firefox seems to have improved sense the last time I tried it a few years ago. No problems with the install and it's not giving me the grief IE8 has been lately. I'll keep it :)

Chuck Wintle
07-14-2010, 4:29 PM
Firefox seems to have improved sense the last time I tried it a few years ago. No problems with the install and it's not giving me the grief IE8 has been lately. I'll keep it :)
and it is web standards compliant which is not the case with IE8. :D

Curt Harms
07-15-2010, 9:12 AM

The IT dept at work suggests Firefox - even though IE is the default browser for all work PCs. (Corp mandate)

The one thing I have noticed about Firefox - it takes longer to load than IE at work and at home. Not a lot, but noticeable.

I'm pretty sure the reason I.E. starts faster is that I.E. loads most of its components when Windows loads. So when you click on I.E., it only needs to load some % of the program, not the whole thing. Put FireFox in the startup folder so it loads minimized every time Windows starts and Firefox will start fast too. The biggest complaint I've heard about Firefox for Windows is memory leaks. I don't know if that has been fixed yet or not.

On a related note, Microsoft has O.K.ed business users to "downgrade" from Win7 to WinXP until 2020. Web developers that abhor I.E. 6 must be rejoicing.

Bryan Morgan
07-16-2010, 1:32 AM
Hi all, I'm asking for valid reasons to switch from IE8 to Firefox. I also use Chrome because I like the speed. Lately, IE8 has been a pain. If I was to switch, do I need to delete IE or just hide it? Thanks for any help, Sean

Don't delete IE. What browser you use depends on what you want to do. I mostly use Firefox. Its fast enough and has some neat add ons. Its not perfect. It is HORRIBLE with Java. I have to use lots of Java stuff for my server administration. Firefox always locks up or crashes with Java, and has from version 2 (when I started using it) until now. It has some wicked memory leaks so you have to close it from time to time. Flash is ok with Firefox for the most part although when I have issues I can open IE and usually the app will work.

If I have to do a lot of Java stuff I've found Opera works most reliably for what I do. I tried a browser a few months back that allowed you to switch between renderers (gecko, ie, or mozilla). Kind of cool.

Tom Rick
07-16-2010, 8:11 AM

Just switch and test drive it for a week or so. I have been using Firefox for long time and like the menus better then IE. Customizable in ways which suit me though my GF says the same of IE.

Started using Thunderbird this year for mail and like it better than Outlook which was my old mail gizmo...

Dan Karachio
07-17-2010, 11:09 PM
Why would you need anything except Chrome? I don't understand. It is superior to Firefox. It is all I use for home and work.

Chuck Wintle
07-18-2010, 7:33 AM
Why would you need anything except Chrome? I don't understand. It is superior to Firefox. It is all I use for home and work.
The trouble the the Chrome browser is its tie-in to Google. I don't like the idea of any searches or info gathering will be compiled back at Google headquarters. :D:D

Randy Klein
07-18-2010, 8:52 AM

The only reason I haven't completely switched to Chrome is it lacks one essential feature, for me. That is a feature that highlights search terms akin to the google search bar for Firefox or IE. Interestingly, there is no google bar for chrome. I know there are ways to find words and such, but none like the google bar. If Chrome gets that, then I'm a convert.

Sean Troy
07-18-2010, 9:44 PM
I use all three of the browsers now. I used to use IE8 most of the time and then found Chrome to be a much better browser. A few years ago I tried Firefox and didn't like it at all. It was very slow. Sense installing it last week, it's all I use most of the time. I still use the others to check websites after building them. The new Firefox really suprised me how well it works.