PDA

View Full Version : Coolmeadow Creations Shop Rehab

Jim O'Dell
12-04-2004, 8:42 PM
Hi all,
Well, I had this all typed out, went to down size the photos before adding, and poof, the computer crashed! I wanted to start my pictoral of my shop rehab. Note that this will be a very slow process!!
Picture #1 is before we bought the house, showing the shop bldg from the Northeast corner.
Picture #2 is also before purchase, and shows the shop from the south side.

The next post will have the first in progress pictures. Thanks for looking, and as always, thoughts and ideas are welcome. I'm sure there are a lot of things I need to do that won't be as apparant to me as it will be to some of you who have already gone through this process. Jim.

Jim O'Dell
12-04-2004, 9:12 PM
OK, here are the pictures that I took today after finishing framing. This addition will be the finishing room, and a place to put rescue dogs that need to be quarantined before introduced to our pack. Will probably need to add an a/c-heater if we ever need to do that for a dog. Guess I ought to look into one now, and frame an opening for it, huh? I just called a friend who put one in her garage, got it used, from a hotel remodel. 1 ton unit, heat and a/c, traded in a small 110 window a/c and got it for 80.00!! Perfect size and she says keeps her garage cool on a warm day. My kind of purchase!!

Picture 1 is from the Southeast corner.
Picture is from the Northeast corner.

I finished this about 2:00, and went out for a burger and to get more supplies. Got a roll of Tyvek, and 13 sheets of foil faced OSB sheathing. Gosh, I sure thought the Tyvek went on first, then the sheathing, but not so says the Tyvek instructions. Also went by HF and got an air stapler. My electric one died about 6 months ago. Guess we'll see if I can cut and put any up tomorrow by myself, as the LOML is gone again tomorrow to an Agility trial in McKinney. Oh, by the way, the Coolmeadow Creations is from the dogs. Coolmeadow is the kennel name we use for our Irish Setters. I thought that adding the Creations part sounded good for the things I build. Jim.

Tyler Howell
12-05-2004, 7:14 PM
;) Got a good Jump on her there Jim! Keep us posted

Frank Pellow
12-05-2004, 7:51 PM
Jim, it looks like a nice site, and you are off to a good start. I hope that you enjoy this shop-rehab project as much as I have enjoyed my shop-construction project.

Jim O'Dell
12-05-2004, 8:03 PM
Thanks guys. I didn't get to enjoy much today. Wet all day. Wanted to start the sheathing, but prefer to do it when it's dry out. Did some minor changes, and straightened out some problems I created. The door opening on the North side is for future use if I get to enclose the rest of the slab (which would entail changing the whole roof structure). After talking with the A/C-Heat guy my friend told me about, I prepped that doorway for this unit. Can get it for $200.00 or less, depending on which one I choose. 1 ton unit will probably be overkill for this small room, but it might almost do the whole shop if need be. I did make my decision on which door and windows to use. Went ahead and got them this pm. Even got 2 windows for the main shop building so that they would match. Found some the same bronze color as the ones on the house at Lowes, so that should look a little better than the white ones at HD.
Hopefully I can get through all I want to see at the Woodworker show on Friday (taking the afternoon off) so that I can work on the shop Sat afternoon after I get off work. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. Thanks for looking! Jim.

Kent Cori
12-05-2004, 8:07 PM
Jim,

It looks as if you're enjoying yourself even if the weather is not very coopeerative. At least you picked a good time of year for a construction project. Good luck and keep posting those pics!

Ted Shrader
12-05-2004, 10:13 PM
Jim -

You are making some pretty good progress. Should be able to get the seathing up by yourself unless tthe wind is really blowing.

What roof mods are required on the north side for a door?

Ted

Jim O'Dell
12-05-2004, 10:27 PM
Jim -

You are making some pretty good progress. Should be able to get the seathing up by yourself unless tthe wind is really blowing.

What roof mods are required on the north side for a door?

Ted

Thanks Ted. Sorry, I wasn't clear...the roof mods would only be needed if I built on beyond the existing covered patio. There is another 10 X 12 area on the same concrete pad that If I get a big extra wad of cash, I want to raise the roof on the existing structure to get 10' ceilings (I'm at 7'8" currently), and possibly a vaulted ceiling. If that ever happens, I'll enclose the remainder of the slab, and the north door opening would already be structurally there as a doorway to the new room. I would move the A/C-Heater out to the other room because it would become the dog quarantine room and I could keep my finishing room to myself instead of having to do double duty as it will have to do now. Hope this makes better sense. Jim.

Jim O'Dell
12-12-2004, 7:57 PM
Ok, here is the latest update. Was able to work 1/2 day yesterday because the plans to go look at the AC/Heat unit fell through. Got the bottom trim up (1 X 4 Hardiplank) and 1 sheet of sheathing cut and installed. Today I finished the sheathing, took a break for lunch and to go look at the AC/Heat unit. Ended up being a junk shop of old units. The one he wanted to sell me wasn't heating. It's and old Mongomery Ward unit. Needless to say, i wasn't impressed. He had another one working to show me, but the face didn't have any way to attach. I'm guessing there were parts missing. Anyway, a totally wasted 1.5 hour trip. Got back and got the Tyvek wrap on. Finished just as it was getting dark.
The pictures are about the time I broke for lunch. It was too dark for pictures of the Tyvek installed. Maybe there will be a little light when I get off work on Tuesday to snap a couple shots. Picture 1 is from the southeast, picture 2 is from the east, and Picture 3 is from the north/northeast.
Next I need to install the windows and door, then I can put my vertical trim on and start with the Hardiboard planks. Anyone ever use the 12" planks? Instructions say you can't blind nail these, that they need fasteners at the bottom as well. What if I used construction adhesive on the bottom?? I really didn't want screw or nail heads showing.

Jim O'Dell
12-18-2004, 11:16 AM
Well, got too busy during the week to do this. Put in 1 window late one afternoon, did the other one while breakfast was fixin' this morning. Same 3 views, Southeast, east, North-northeast. Instead of pulling down the wood siding on the north wall, I'll put house wrap over it, then 1" foam sheets, then the HardiePlank siding. I need the extra depth to come out to where the north wall is on the covered porch addition. Still won't be on the exact same plane, but when the covered porch was added on, they didn't line it up with the walls of the building. off about 1 1/2" !! Guess I shouldn't be surprised. The extra R value of the foam should help a little with insulation also.
Won't get much done this weekend. Leaving here is a few to go Christmas shopping. I have decided to frame in a spot on the north wall for a PTAC type AC/Heat unit. They are bigger than the normal window/wall type unit (42 X 16- what is used for motel rooms) but they are also cheaper. I can get a new Carrier 15000 btu heat pump for $556.00 plus shipping on the net. Unclear if the mounting sleve is included in that price or not, but it appears to be. Plus all brands of PTAC's are the same size, and will fit any one else's sleeve. Thanks for looking! Jim.

Jerry Olexa
12-18-2004, 1:00 PM
Looking good, Jim! You'll enjoy the new space and its fun building too and seeing it come forward! Great pictures,,, Keep them coming!

Glenn Clabo
12-18-2004, 4:51 PM
Hey Jim...
It's fun to watch...keep em comiing. Looks like someone has aready started an addition...albeit plastic.

Jim O'Dell
12-18-2004, 6:23 PM
Hey Jim...
It's fun to watch...keep em comiing. Looks like someone has aready started an addition...albeit plastic.

You noticed! It's my first work in plastics!!!!!! Actually my wife got that at a garage sale about 3 years ago when we were expecting a litter of Irish Setters (didn't materialize-very long and expensive story). It was to be part of a puppy jungle jim, following the thought that new experiences as pups rolls over to not being afraid of new things as adult dogs, therefore, better adjusted dogs to have as pets. So it just hangs around. Being used in the pictures to keep the dogs out of the shop until I get the door up, which I just finished. Got to go get some 4" hinge screws to replace the 1" jobs that came on the door. Thanks guys for the comments. Please point out anything you see that is a definate booboo as I proceed. That's my motivation for doing the thread. Maybe someone will see something before I get so far past it that it will be a nightmare to go back and re-do.
As I finished typing the above, thought I'd snap a quick picture of the door, and noticed I didn't take the temporary strapping off when I finished the door. So ignore it, it will be gone tonight!

Jim.

Well, you can see I did the picture quickly...slightly out of focus. But you can see what is necessary. It's not like you've never seen a door before.

Jim O'Dell
01-01-2005, 9:19 PM
It's been a while since I have updated this thread. Don't have much to add at this point. With Christmas and the snow the few days before Christmas, and the holiday again this weekend with my parents and neice and her husband down today, I missed a beautiful day to get some work done. After they left about 3:00, I spent some time cleaning all the leaves and debris off the roof, then got in about 1 1/2 hour in the shop. Pulled staples left over when the 1/4" paneling was pulled off the ceiling on the covered porch. Now my neck is aching!!
As it was starting to get dark, I thought I'd pull off some of the siding on what was the exterior wall under the porch. Guess what I found?? About 10' of wall that has a 10" header. Therefore I won't have to build a temporary wall to support the structure while I add a header to span the french door I want to install to make access to the finishing room easier with big pieces!! Now, when I demo the walls by the garage door and if I find the header above the garage door is about 6" higher than the finished door opening, you'll hear me screaming for joy!
I'm including an updated floor plan for the shop. I had one on another post a while back, but instead of pointing you toward that page, I'll put the updated one here. And this updated one will also be superceeded in the future, I'm sure. Thanks for looking, and please let me know if you see a design flaw!! Jim.

Jim Andrew
01-01-2005, 10:35 PM
Hi Jim, interesting to watch your progress. Yes I have installed hardie
plank, and no I wouldn't glue the bottom. If the instructions say to nail
the bottom, just follow the instructions, it will be ok. 8" you can blind
nail, suppose the 12" is just too wide. Jim

Jim O'Dell
01-02-2005, 6:50 PM
Hi all!

Well, I did get in about 4 1/2 hours this afternoon. Too damp out to do anything on the exterior. Just as well, I would have needed to go to town to get materials to work with, and that would have consumed a good portion of the time I got to spend. Started to do that errand last night, but wasn't sure if the Borgs would be open late or not, plus knew it was supposed to rain. So, a demolishing I did go. Pulled down the remainder of the original exterior wall that is now in the finishing room. Cut out, and partially framed in for the french door between the shop and the finishing room. (see picture 1), but needed 3 more 2X4 to finish.

There is a lot of material on the shop walls that is plastic laminate wood grain that someone used as wainscoating (sp?). I had an idea what it might be (see picture 2), but couldn't verify it until I took a piece down during the demo today.(see close up in picture 3) YEP!!!! SLATWALL!!!! Now someone was mighty stupid along the way to use this stuff as wall board, and put up peg board above it...on 2 walls!!!!!! There is a little shed about 10 X 12 or so that also has some of this on the walls, all mounted with the slats running vertically. All I can think of is that they got it cheap, and didn't know what it was. I won't have any full size sheets to work with, but there are several 3' X 4' sections that I can piece together to hold jigs and tools specific to a certain power tool. I would have rather had it paintable, but this should be ok. And I'm sure it can be painted if need be. Hope everyone had a productive weekend, and or got some needed rest. Jim.

(edit) I saw the pictures were a little large, causing the pictures and text to run off the side. Corrected for easier viewing.

Jim O'Dell
01-09-2005, 6:51 PM
Hi all!
It's a little after 5:00 Sunday afternoon. I got a little work in this weekend. Wish it hadn't been my Saturday to work at my normal job because the weather has been simply BEAUTIFUL!! Worked for about 1 1/2 hours Sat. during daylight deciding how to do the french door between the 2 rooms. The 10" header is a little low for a door. So I decided to cut about 1" off of it across the width of the door, after I finished up the wall studs on each side. Now I find the floor isn't level, surprise surprise. I'll compensate by cutting the bottom of the doors at an angle to match the slope (5/8" across 62") so the doors will be mounted square and level on the other 3 sides.
After supper Sat. evening, I spent 2 1/2 hrs in the shop taking all the boards I had previously pulled off the wall, and pulled the nails and staples out of them to get them ready for disposal. It was a pretty good size pile, but enjoyable getting to crank up the music and get used to being in the shop.
Today was spent pulling the rest of the interior walls down, and pulling nails and staples as I went this time. Took a break after lunch and helped the LOML bag some of the leaves out front to get ready for trash this week. With 30 something trees on just less than an acre, this could be a full time job!
With this weekend's demo work, I can now see that this structure started out as a carport, open on 3 sides, with the back wall closed off for a storage area. And, the storage structure was originally painted pink. After that it went to a dark teal/green, then finally to the dark tan it is now. It now makes sense why the concrete for this part is higher than the rest of the area. You'll be able to see the 4 X 6 poles in the center of the wall, and possible at the corners that are exposed in today's pictures. There is a 1 X 6 nailed to the bottom of the 2 X 10 headers that run the perimeter of the structure. It is on TOP of the 4 X 6 posts....easy enough to cut with the PC Tiger saw, but it just amazes me why they did this.
Which brings me to a question. On the picture from last week's post that showed the doorway, you can see the 1 X 6 on top of the studs. This week's picture of that opening shows that I took this 1 X 6 out. Should I have put a 2 X 4 top plate on the studs so that it would be between the studs and the header? I guess I will be redoing all of the studs, and going back to 16" centers. The 4 X 6 post on the west wall is right in the middle of my box bay window!! I really wanted it to be in the middle of the wall, but I guess I could go to one side or the other.
Thanks again for your thoughts and ideas. Jim.

ps. Picture 1 shows the french door opening.
Picture 2 shows the storage original structure of the carport. Notice the pink paint at the openings!

Jim O'Dell
01-09-2005, 7:00 PM
These are the other 3 shots from today. # 1 is from the shop to the french door opening, # 2 is further to the right showing the rest of the wall. # 3 is the west wall, before I finished pulling everything off. Jim

Jim O'Dell
01-16-2005, 9:22 PM
Hi all!
Well, here's this week's update. Not much to report. I had the whole weekend off and expected great things. Wife took a trip to Florida early Sat am, so I had dog duty. Takes about 2 1/2 hours to do the food for 7 and clean up (note: we do not feed comercial dog food, but that's a story for the off topic slot). So about 10:30 I made my list and went to HD to get supplies. 30 pieces of Hardiplank siding, some 1 X 4 Hardipboard, brick moulding, etc. Took a while to load the cart, then load the van. When I got home, there was nobody to help unload!! Hardiplank is heavy!! 12' long sheets are hard to handle by yourself. So I started by bagging all the leaves in the driveway to the shop. about 5 bags worth. Then I cleaned out part of the shop for the materials. Built a filter box for the output of the shop vac to help cut down the dust from cutting the Hardiboard material. Unloaded the van and stacked all the material. Exercised the dogs a few times, fixed and ate lunch somewhere in there, and cut my first piece of Hardiplank about 4:00. There's no way I can put this stuff up by myself, LOML just leaving Florida to come home...I'm through for the day
Today didn't get out of the upper 30's according to the thermometer on my back porch. Probably wouldn't have mattered. The picture below is what my wife went to Florida for. It could have been a beautiful day, and I wouldn't have gotten much more done. Somehow, I'm not at all bummed out about the weekend!!! There will be others for building the shop. Jim.

Jim O'Dell
01-21-2005, 11:26 PM
Hi all!

Well, I took off work a little early today to try to enjoy a little of the beautiful weather we are having this week and work some on the shop. It was mid 70's today!! But it's turning colder after midnight tonight. Got all but 1 piece of trim cut for the windows, cut out the opening for the PTAC to be installed, then boarded it back up. But this way I can trim around the opening so that when I finally get to do the siding, I will have that in place to work up to. I work a 1/2 day tomorrow morning, so will get the last piece of window trim on my way home, finish the window trim and trim the opening I cut. Then I should be ready for the siding. I had a little extra time before it got dark, so I pulled some more of the slat wall material down in the storage area. What I found almost made me cry. On the edge of one roughly 2' X 3' piece of slat wall was written, [25 pcs oak slatwall 41" X 96"] Who ever put this material up as wall board cut 8' lengths of slatwall down to use as wainscoating (sp?). Oh well, I hope at this point that I can find a way to make use of what I can salvage. Maybe put several pieces together to make a larger section, or picture frame the smaller pieces. Any ideas???? Unfortuanately, some of the oak laminate is coming off as I try to pull the nails out that he used to attach it to the studs. Some that was on the floor is water damaged and that part will have to be cut off.
I hope all of you will have some quality time in your shops this weekend. Be sure to spend some time with your loved ones as well. Jim.

Jim O'Dell
01-23-2005, 6:58 PM
Update, 01/23/05

Hi all!
Well, it looked pretty outside today, no wind blowing, but I lasted about 20 minutes in the shop before breakfast trying to decide what to tackle today. Just too cold. So I spent some quality time with my wife and the dogs this am. Then I did a little research on cyclones and priced some things out. I'm looking at the ClearvVue a little bit. It's Bill Pentz's design and recomended parts. Do any of you know of anyone with one of these? I'd be interested in how it is working and holding up so far. I haven't ruled anything out yet, but this one, the WoodSucker II. and the New Grizzly 3hp unit all look pretty good on price.
It finally warmed up to the upper 30's by 11:00 or so. I finished the trim around the windows and the PTAC, then caulked them good. After lunch, it still wasn't warm enough to try to tackle the siding. I'm going to have to rely on help from the LOML, and I didn't want to push things with the weather. I don't work next weekend, but she has things to do both days, so watch the weather be beautiful!!!
I did go ahead and tear down the slatwall off of the inside of the original storage area, and pull down all but about 4' of that wall. Sure helps the shop look bigger and gives me a better idea of what I'll have. Probably should have started cutting up the scrap wood that I've pulled off the walls and get it loaded into the van for disposal at work. But maybe I'll work on that one evening this week if it's not too cold.
The two pictures attached are of the north end of the shop, with the wall torn down. The part on the left that I left intact is full of old paint cans that were left here (wish I had made their disposal part of the deal on the house) and I've got the lighting fixtures I bought at 75% off at the Borg moving sale last month. I'll leave it alone until I get all the scrap wood hauled off.
Have a good week. Jim.

Jim O'Dell
02-07-2005, 3:00 PM
Hi!
Well, I did get some things done on the shop this weekend. Weather looked like rain Sat afternoon, and all day Sunday. I had to work Sat. am at my regular job, so took off about 3:30 Friday to take advantage of the beautiful weather. Got the first 2 courses of siding done on all 3 sides of the addition before it got too dark to work. Sat. after work and lunch, I got the next 3 pieces cut for around the door and windows and PTAC and LOML helped me get them up. Then the short pieces on either side of the openings I was able to do myself. Sun am brought the rain, and I decided to go to HD about 1100 to get the electrical boxes to have something to do. While doing that, it cleared off. Got lunch and started back on the 3 top cuts around the door and windows. Got it all finished, and was able to do the top caps before it got totally dark. Now I need to caulk and paint these 3 sides before going on to the next piece of wall. All in all, a fairly productive weekend. I'm including 3 pictures to show the work.
Thanks for looking. Jim.

Tyler Howell
02-07-2005, 5:59 PM
Hey Jim,

Looks like you're plugging right along there. Can't go wrong with the good help in the earlier post;)

Jim O'Dell
02-20-2005, 5:47 PM
Well, I didn't post last week. I got most of the caulking done, but that was about it. It needed a second application to fill in the deep sections where it shrunk. I finished that up last night (Sat. my weekend to work again.) This morning, I got up and started painting. It's all done on the addition. I painted the entry door, but it is going to take another coat. It is dark brown/red in color. Doesn't show up real good on the picture attached. I'll try to get another next weekend after the 2nd coat of paint, and with some morning light shining on it. I'll paint the eaves and facia boards at the end when all the siding is up and painted. They will be painted a medium tan, and later the trim on the house will be painted the same color. Also the fake shutters on the house will be painted the color I've used on the body of the shop. The door color is one of the colors in the brick on the house, so hopefully the shop will look like it belongs here.
Now I can start that next piece of wall! Feels like I've been stuck in neutral for a while, even though I know I've been making progress. Thanks for looking! Jim.

Jim O'Dell
03-13-2005, 8:03 PM
Hi all!!

What a beautiful weekend here in the Metroplex! Yesterday got up over 80, but it didn't feel bad. Today probably the mid 60's. Both days not a cloud in the sky.
It's been a few weeks since I've updated this thread. But I have been busy on the rehab. Three weeks ago, I finished the wall to the left of the door in the picture in the last post. You can see it was a light yellow color. It's finished, even painted. Last weekend I pulled the electric meter out from the wall, built a base for it, and reinstalled to the base. Then I put up the 1" foam, and Tyvek wrap on the 20' section of north wall. I had to disconnect my temporary power from the house in preparation for the siding to go up. Yesterday I got the first 2 courses of siding on, the electrical junction box installed, and some new wire run to approximately where this will be reinstalled as an outside flood light that is controlled from the house, and the window framed in and installed. Today I finished the siding at about 6:00, then cleaned up before taking the pictures. I still need to caulk and paint, but that should happen easily next weekend. I may take a vacation day Friday, caulk, then start the west wall while the caulk dries. Paint on Saturday afternoon (have to work Sat. am) and then work some more on the west wall as time permits and on Sunday.
Thanks for looking in. The first photo shows the window, the second is from a little futher out in the yard showing the whole north wall. Hope everyone else had a productive weekend. Jim.

Tim Morton
03-13-2005, 8:53 PM
Looking good! This is the first time seeing this rehab. Looks like you have your hands full huh? I see you have a guard dog to keep out the rif raf!! :D

Jim O'Dell
04-04-2005, 10:56 PM
Ok guys 'n gals, here's the latest.

I got the rest of the West wall demo'd 3 weekends ago, reframed, and framed the rough opening for the box bay window for my miter saw to set into. 2 weeks ago was a woodworking nightmare, as I went to Oklahoma for my SIL's wedding. It was a rainey day anyway, so probably couldn't have done a whole lot on the exterior. Sunday was just as bad, starting out with snow, turning to rain, and colder than I wanted to be out while damp. So I wiped the computer clean and started it over (a seemingly never ending chore)
This past weekend, I started by taking off work 1 hour early Friday. Got the base moulding up on the West wall, prepped the box bay opening a little more, and put up 2 sheets of the sheathing. Worked Sat. am, and fought off the urge to go to the local air base's air show to watch the Blue Angels. Did get to see a couple day's practicing though. I work about 1 1/2 mile from the south end of the runway. But I did get part of the box bay window framed in. Sunday I got the box bay window framing finished, the rest of the sheathing put up, the Tyvek wrap installed and the windows installed. At the end of the day, I cut the roof sheathing, and covered it with tar paper for a temporary shield should it rain. I was pleased with how it came out. My wife told me today that she likes the way the box bay window looks!!
Next weekend I will put up the corner boards and start putting siding up. Then I need to finalize the roofing for the box bay. I still need help with the south wall, for door construction ideas. I started a separate thread on that. There are a couple ideas, but I'm not satisfied I have all your ideas yet ;-))).
There are 2 pictures this week. Both of the West wall at 2 different angles. Disregard the pile of wood trash!!
Thanks for reading. Jim

Jim O'Dell
04-17-2005, 9:14 PM
Hi all! Just when I think I've got this building figured out, Pop Goes The Weasel!! I got the west side caulked yesterday (Sat) after work, and painted today while the LOML was delivering a rescue to a new home down by Austin (hey, do you think she'd mind one of the trips that way stopping by MM and bringing me back a ....YEAH, SHE'D MIND). This afternoon after replacing the broken glass in her studio that another rescue forgot about on his way to chase a squirrell, I started pulling down the gable end that had the wood siding. I thought that there would be a header across this side just like the east and west walls. NOPE! I can't believe there isn't a header across the 10' garage door opening. There will be when I get through, though. Maybe it's because of the style of roof rafters that were used, but I'm sorry, it was shoddy workmanship, IMHO.
2 pictures again. 1 is of the finished painted west wall, 2 is a very out of focus picture (sorry) of the south wall with the gable opened up. Thanks for reading and listening to me moan. I've got a 3 day weekend next week. I hope to have everything on the south wall done except the doors. Jim.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-17-2005, 9:22 PM
It's a lot of work Jim but it looks like you're doing a fine job! Keep at it and soon you'll have a great shop to ww in!

Kelly C. Hanna
04-18-2005, 8:17 AM
Looks great Jim! Wish I had room to add that much real estate to the shop.

Jeff Sudmeier
04-18-2005, 9:06 AM
Jim,

You are correct in that a header may not be needed above that door. The reason being is that the rafters are supported by the two outside walls, not the wall with the door in it.

The only thing the header will support is that small wall above it. At this time it looks to be hanging from the rafter, not supported from below.

So long story short, a header probably should have been put in to support the wall above it. Shortcut taken by someone :)

Kelly C. Hanna
04-18-2005, 9:41 AM
I would recommend the header be put in. I've seen plenty of shortcuts taken before that wound up being a big mistake....especially over garage doors.

Jim O'Dell
04-18-2005, 11:32 AM
Thanks guys. Yes, there WILL be a header when I get done. Actually, there not being a header there will make my job a little easier...don't have to catch the old piece as I cut it out!!! ;-0 Jim.

Jim O'Dell
04-24-2005, 7:28 PM
Good evening all!

Well, I took a vacation day Friday. Got the wall braced, each side wall cut out, and framed back in, with a window opening framed in the west side wall. Got the header put in, lost an old wooden ladder in the process!!! (and tweaked by back a little as I was trying to get away from the falling header) All in all, about what I thought I'd get done.
Saturday was a short day as my wife"s brother came down to visit a friend and spent the night with us, and their father and his wife came by on their way home from a trip to Dallas. So that meant I needed to knock off about 4:00 to get cleaned up for a meal out. (But Uncle Julios is worth it!!!!) But I did get the sheathing and the Tyvek wrap up...again about what I thought I'd be able to finish.
Sunday was a late start at 9:00. Had to make a run to HD for supplies (should have gone Sat. evening, but I was way too full) Got the trim up around the garage door, and some of the brick moulding around the window, and, you guessed it, back to HD to get more stuff so I could finish the trim. At about 4:45, it started to sprinkle. I was able to get the first 2 courses of the Hardi plank up. Really thought I'd have all of it up. Even if it hadn't started to rain, I still don't think I would have finished. But I can do some during the week after work. I wanted to start building the doors next weekend, but we'll see.
Then first picture is from Friday, with the framing in progress. The second pic is Saturday showing the header in place and the sheathing almost up. The last pic is from today, showing the Tyvek wrap on, the window in, and the first 2 courses of Hardi plank on. Thanks for reading! Jim

Kelly C. Hanna
04-24-2005, 7:50 PM
Looks good Jim....it's still spittin' out here in SE Dallas and from the looks of the weather radar it's here to stay for a bit.

Jim O'Dell
05-18-2005, 8:34 PM
I can't believe I haven't updated here in 3 1/2 weeks!! Not a whole lot of progress, except spending money on toyls that I can't hook up and use yet!!! The picture attached at least shows the completed south wall section. I have 1 door cut out except for the "skins" I'll try to complete that this coming Sat. Sunday we head out to Okie land for a dog show, that is if the pup pictured in page 2 of this thread heals in time to go. Evidently got run over by one of the other dogs yesterday, and is limping and won't hold her tail up. Can't show her that way.
I've got some reworking to do on some of the the door parts that are ready to assemble. My cuts for the interior slats didn't line up exactly, so I have some minor surgery to do, then it should go together ok. Maybe two more weekends and I'll have the doors done so I can start the wiring, and get that inspected. I've got a new cyclone here, and the new bandsaw should be here tomorrow morning, and I can't try either of them out until I get the wiring in and turned on. Thanks for looking. Hopefully the next picture will show a lot more progress. Jim

Jeff Sudmeier
05-18-2005, 10:07 PM
Way to keep at it Jim!! Sounds like you are getting some cool new toys. I'd bet you can't wait to get them hooked up and running!

After it is all done, you will wonder why you didn't do it years ago :)

Jim O'Dell
05-29-2005, 11:03 PM
Well, I haven't posted on this thread in a couple of weeks. I have been busy, though. I finished one door earlier this week, working in the evenings to get the "skin" on it. I had hoped to finish the 2nd one this weekend, but it was raining pretty good yesterday, and being that I would need to drag wood back and forth from the shop to the garage temporary shop, I did some honey do's in the house instead, and then we went out to eat last night. I started about 9:45 this morning, and finished about 7:30 this evening. Got the skeleton finished for the 2nd door, but the skins will have to wait for a couple of evenings this week. I'd like to get them hung next weekend, and painted so I can concentrate on the electrical install. I had forgotten to take pictures of the first door, so here is a view part way through the skeleton build on #2. I'll get the skin on one side, flip it over and cut the closed cell sheet foam board and stuff each void, then install the 2nd set of skins. I still have 4 pieces of 2 X 4 blocking to glue in where one mounting bolt from each of the hinges goes, but that is a quick install. At some point I'm going to have to come up with some sort of moulding design for the doors. 2 big ole fat slabs hanging there wouldn't be very attractive. Maybe use the wooden letters and make a big shop sign?? I'll accept all ideas. Jim.

edit: added picture of the finished skeleton. The camera battery died last night after the 1 picture. Jim.

Frank Pellow
05-30-2005, 7:39 AM
Thanks for the update Jim. Its good to see you making progress. I think that a shop sign on the doors using wooden letters is a good idea.

Jim O'Dell
06-12-2005, 6:45 PM
Thanks for the comments. I appreciate you looking. I'm also looking for any ideas you all might have. Don't be bashful, throw them on out. Even if I don't use them, they will get the creative juices flowing, and who knows what might pop up!!

Glenna has been out of town since Thursday...coming back Monday afternoon. So work has been slow on the shop, since I have my day job and dog duty for our 4 (see the off topic tread on shop dogs) plus 1 foster girl waiting for a forever home. The foster is about 1 1/2 years old, and our pup is 8 months. They are into everything!!!

Shop progress: I got the doors hung last weekend, and the top slide bolts installed so they were semi secure. Sanded and bondo'd the screw holes Friday and Saturday afternoons after getting off of work. Then painted the doors, anchored the threshold down, and installed the bottom slide bolts today. I took a couple hours to go look at possible ways to weatherseal the door openings this afternoon after lunch. I got some good ideas, but need to cut a saw kerf in a piece of wood and see if the replaceable weatherstrips for french doors will fit tightly enough to use. I'll do that and check after work one day this week. If so, I'll cut my own mouldings. The ones I found at the blue and the orange are a little too ornate for me and this building. I can't find a large enough piece of metal to use to cover the gap between the 2 doors. I was looking for a 1/8" X 2 1/2" piece to screw onto one of the doors, then put a peel and stick weather strip so it seals off on the other door. Don't know the technical term for this. I have a 10% off at HD that ends the 14th. I need several electrical supplies (breakers), some paint, wire from the meter to the new box, and HD has some cheap metal and fabric lawn chairs that I may get a few of for the patio if the LOML approves when she sees them.

Sorry for the rambling. Must be heat exhaustion or the sleep deprivation. There are 2 pictures of the doors. Hope everyone had a great weekend! Jim

Jim O'Dell
06-30-2005, 10:12 PM
For those of you that read Dennis Peacock's Monday morning 'Wha dya do this weekend?' threads, I appologize for taking this long to get the pictures, and they aren't that great, but it will show that I've made some electrical progress. I have all the boxes in and wired to the breaker box, but don't have the ground bar in, or the breakers wired and in yet. I have several junction boxes mounted in the ceiling. Not sure you will be able to tell from the poor quality pictures, but I have them mounted so that when the ceiling is in, one of these years, I can still access the junction boxes from the shop to add wiring, or correct a problem, since I don't have enough room to get up in the "attic" part, it's just not usuable. So I felt this was the best option. I have my can lights, and 4 spot light fixtures in and wired. I have one junction box left to wire, and it's a doozy. I think I need to go get a bigger electrical box for this one...just too many wires to be able to get connected and still put a cover on it. I have all the ceiling 110 receptacles mounted (single twist locks), and if you saw my other thread with the question about the 220 volt twist locks, you know I haven't gotten any of them yet. With funds drying up a little, I'm not sure when I will get to proceed with this.
I talked to an electrician when I was pricing T-8 fixtures the other day, and he said where I'm at, I don't need to have an electrical inspection?!?!?!? I will follow up with TXU Electric and see what they say. If it is true, then I'll ask an electrician what he would charge to come and look at what I've done and point out any mistakes, or problem areas. I think that that would be a prudent thing to do.
I'll go ahead and post 2 pictures here, but again they are lousy. I'll try to redo them this weekend, and substitute them if they turn out any better. As always, thanks for looking in! Jim.

Michael Gabbay
07-01-2005, 8:30 AM
Jim - Looks good! As far as inspections are concerned, in my county we require a rough in and final for electric. Rough-in would require all boxes in place, all ciruits run but not wired to the light fixtures or outlets/switches, and panel in place but not wired to breakers. In my last two remodels, I have done the final wiring for the panel and lights prior to rough-in and the inspectors are ok with that. The theory is you need lights and juice to build. :)

Final inspection is when all fixtures, outlets, switches and breakers are installed and fully functional.

You may want to have the inspector come out and do a rough-in. Even if you don't pass they are generally very helpful with resolving issues. Plus you save a few $$ by not hiring an electrician.

B&D has a good book on home wiring. They have a chapter about inspections and what the general code requirements are. You can find it at HD or Lowes.

Mike

Jim O'Dell
07-01-2005, 11:06 AM
Thanks Michael,
But if it's true I don't have to have an inspection, then that would mean to me that there is no one to perform that function. I still need to call TXU and the county to verify before I proceed too far.
I actually have a 1990 copy of the NEC. Man, that's one thick book! I have looked at it, and I think a GE simplified wiring book, I read cover to cover...very hard for me to sit down and do.
I'm thinking about stopping and talking to a neighbor a couple blocks away that is an electrician, or at least his work van says he is ;-0. I'll see if it's something he is willing to do on the side for a little cash. Thanks!! Jim.

Michael Gabbay
07-01-2005, 11:18 AM
I'd be surprised if your county does not require a rough-in inspection. To me (I'm not an electrician) that is a very import, if not the most important one to get. Once you put up insulation and walls etc. any rework becomes a major hassle.

You did get an electric permit when you started right? It should state what the inpection schedule is.
Mike

Jim O'Dell
07-01-2005, 6:35 PM
Michael,
This is not new construction, I'm just rehabbing an existing building. Electrical was already there, I'm upgrading and running new wiring so I'm happy with how it is done. There won't be any wall panels or insulation until after I get the electrical done, so any inspections I may need will be easy to perform. Did I need a permit? Probably. We'll see how it flies!!! Jim.

Kelly C. Hanna
07-02-2005, 9:52 AM
Lookin' good Jim! I haven't checked in for a long time (been super busy)...looks like you have too. Betcha you're ready to get it finished!

Chris Padilla
07-02-2005, 12:15 PM
Fun stuff, Jim. I am having fun redoing my garage as well...I'm still going...getting close to a year for me! :)

Jim O'Dell
07-02-2005, 2:57 PM
Thanks Kelly. If you know you are going to be on this side of town, let me know. You're welcome over for a look see.

Yeah Chris, I've been watching your progress. I'll be glad when I get as close as you are. You should be hooking up equipment and running ductwork, I'm guessing. After seeing your floor, I'm thinking about doing something similar, though, an older floor like mine would probably have to have a muratic acid wash so the paint would hold.

I've been in the shop for about 3 hours this am. I think I'm to a stopping point on the electrical until I get the 220 receptacles. I changed out a metal electrical box for a plastic one that had a lot more depth so that the wires weren't so packed in. Wired one more 110 receptacle that I had somehow not run a wire to!?!? Wired up the last jumper box in the ceiling. Now I need lights and 220 receptacles. I did cut a batten (not sure if this is the proper term or not) to cover the gap on the swing out doors. I can still work some this weekend on weatherproofing said door. This afternoon will be spent building and carpeting a Kitty scratching post/jungle jim with a friend. He should be here in about 30 minutes, so I should go find some wood to do this with. Have a great 4th of July!!! Jim.

Jim O'Dell
08-21-2005, 8:51 PM
Long time, no update!
July got away from me...we had a 4 day dog show weekend to Houston. Rained 3 of the 4 days we were there. Walking dogs in the rain is NOT my idea of fun. But we did as well as we expected to at the show, and had fun visiting with friends and new acquaintances.

The shop. I spent two days in July over two weekends cleaning the shop. Now all the trash wood is on a couple saw horses in front of the shop waiting for me to run out of other things to do and cut it up and take to the trash. I moved most of the keep items into the finishing room to make working in the shop a little easier. I decided what to do for the cyclone set up, so I have spent the last 3 partial weekends working on the cyclone closet. I have the side walls built. I built, for lack of a better term, a "tree" for the cyclone to hang on that won't touch any of the walls for sound proofing (hopefully). I found that the black styrofoam that Ed packs his cyclones in makes a pretty good insulator. I put several pieces under the bottom legs of the tree, and other pieces between the tree and the walls. If I hit the closet wall, I get a ringing vibration along the whole north wall. If I hit the tree the same way, all I get is a dull thud, so I think this will work pretty good. I insulated the closet wall behind the tree and put up a vapor barrier. I also put insulation on the tree from behind for sound proofing. Trying to decide if I need to put peg board on this.
I cleared all the MDF parts one weekend, started assembling the following weekend. Thought I'd get it ALL hung up today, but didn't happen. When i put the motor and it's mounting board (MDF) up this morning, I instantly got a 1/4" sag across the front edge. That Leeson motor is a monster! So off to HD to get some angle iron to stiffen it up. Put a piece at the front, and one at the back. Appears to work fine now.
It was bad enough getting the motor/impeller assembly up on the mounting legs of the tree, but I thought the lift system I had designed to raise the assembly from there would be easier. It wasn't! I had made the two mounting arms wrap around two of the three vertical 2X4's, and the legs going back to the vertical supports from the outside edge of the motor platform (forming a triangle) had some screws protruding about 3/16", just enough to get a bite into the wood. (Envision an electric company employee climbing a telephone pole in the olden days. strap around the pole and his waist (horizontal part of the platform) and spikes on his shoes (the part forming the triangle on the platform). Take the weight off of the screws digging into the wood, push up, let screws dig into the wood to hold while I get another rung up the ladder. One side was a little tight after being painted and didn't slide as easlily as it needed to for quick travel, so I had to do one side an inch, then the other side an inch until I got it where I needed it to be. Then I was able to screw it down where it won't go anyplace. Made doing this by myself doable. There's no way I could have gotten that assembly 10' up in the air by myself. It would have been iffy with help. But I'm already feeling it in my back, so I'll be paying the piper tomorrow!
I'll attach several photos. I'll have to break them across a couple entries. Hope everyone had a great weekend! Jim.

picture 1 is the closet
picture 2 is the tree in front of the closet
picture 4 is the top of the tree inside the closet

edit. That's not right! let me rotate those, again!

Jim O'Dell
08-21-2005, 9:09 PM
Picture 1 is the closet north wall insulated with vapor barrier
Picture 2 is the tree in place, motor hung, insulation on the tree
picture 3 is a close up of the motor assembly showing the angle iron attached.

Thanks for looking! Jim.

Jim Becker
08-21-2005, 9:25 PM
That poor impeller...hangin' out there all neked and all that... :D :D :D (Thanks for the update, Jim!)

Jim O'Dell
08-22-2005, 8:15 AM
Yeah, it does...doesn't it? I tried to give it some insulation to keep it comfortable. And when it's finished, it won't have much more around it!! Jim.

Jim O'Dell
11-06-2005, 6:27 PM
WOW! Has it really been since August since I updated here??? Well, actually not a lot has been done since then. I have finished the receptacles and started the lights. I'm building my reflectors since I can't find T8 fixtures that come with them, at least not at a reasonable price. I would have used the troffers, but not enough space between the ceiling joists, and I don't have enough ceiling height to have them on the surface. So far I've mounted two 4' twin tube units, one above the future work bench, and another that will be at the end of the future TS extension table. Two 8' quad tube units have been temporarily placed for calculations of other lights, and to make sure they would fit properly. I will include 2 pictures. Picture 1 shows one of the finished 4' units, and picture 2 shows one of the 8' and the skeleton that the reflector material mounts to. The material is a sheet of Glasliner FRP in bright white from HD. I need at least 3 more sheets to finish the shop reflectors, and 1 more to do the finishing room. Hopefully I'll be able to get 2 sheets next weekend and some more 2X6 material to build the rest of the skeleton. Thanks for looking. As always, if you see something wrong, don't hesitate to point it out. I'd rather know now than have to rip something out later!:D Jim.

Jim O'Dell
12-25-2005, 3:10 PM
Well. the updates just aren't coming very fast or often these days. Hope everyone has had a great Christmas Day!

As I sit here and finish my Christmas lunch of fried chicken strip sandwich and Flaming Hot Cheetoes :D (Hey, were having a friend over for steaks tonight!!), I thought I'd show you what I've gotten accomplished the last month or so:

The first 2 are of the ceiling lights I talked about in the last post. I now have four-8', 4 bulb fixtures and three-4', 2 bulb fixtures wired in ready for bulbs. I still have the temporary 3 bulb T-12 fixture hanging for lights for now.

Pictures 3, 4, and 5 are of the J-box I used to protect the 2/0 cables and ground wire as they come into the shop from the meter box, inside the meter box, and the mostly finished breaker box. I have 2 ground rods, 1 on 2 adjacent walls pretty much equal distance from the breaker box. I have the one by the meter box installed, but the second one is still loose. I'll wait to see what Tommy says when I can schedue him for a look see to make sure what I've done is kosher, electrical wise. (Tommy, if you read this, I'll call you after the first of the year to see what your schedule is like). I need to see if the meter box needs to be grounded to this wire...I don't see a built in way to do it.
Guess I ought to turn the TV on and see what the Cowboys are up to today. Should be close to half time. Can you tell I'm real interested?? Jim.

edit: Can't find the game on. Maybe they played yesterday??

Jim O'Dell
12-31-2005, 8:02 PM
Welllllllll, I missed having the electrical done by the end of the year, but I got real close. I hooked up temporary 110 from the house to the breaker box to check circuits. Had 3 problems.

#1 The line I have been using for power for small tools and a radio (it originally ran a pair of flood lights on the corner of the shop controlled by a switch in the garage) when used for this purpose instantly blew the breaker in the main house for it's circuit. I even tried switching the hot and neutral wires as they are not standard color coming out of the ground (red, white and green) didn't help. Ran an extension cord from the garage that is on the same house braker, and everything works fine!! This may take some time to figure out.

#2 One pair of my overhead halogen lights ended up being hardwired instead of switched. Went to the junction box and fixed that, worked fine. Guess I had switched the wall receptacle instead by accident.

#3 This drove me nuts for about 2 hours. I had one wall receptacle that wouldn't light my test light (night light!) I traced the wiring several times, all looked good. I finally got my Simpson volt ohm meter, showed I had power on the wire, but not the receptacle. Could a new receptacle be bad??? Had more, swapped it out. Same problem :confused: :confused: :confused: Now I'm getting frustrated. Take receptacle back out, check the bare wires. Meter shows power. Hook it back up....nothing. Checked with meter with wires hooked to receptacle, shows power. BUT, only shows about 50 volts. WHAT THE HECK????? Went back and this time took the wire nuts off the wires in the junction box...broken wire. But you knew that, didn't you???
Man, I was glad I finally found it. But now I need a few more cover plates to finish out the install, and install the bulbs and lenses in the fixtures. I ordered 25 T-8 bulbs last night. That will give me 3 extras untill I add some fixtures later. I need 4 - PAR 20 50 watt bulbs for 4 of the surface mount spots. Regular bulbs fit the fixtures, but it looks like the halogens are available in spots and floods, plus that's what the fixture says to use.
I'm sure the borgs will be closed tomorrow, so this will wait.
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!! Jim.

Jim O'Dell
01-14-2006, 7:50 PM
Me again...Had to share my frustration, I know you'll understand. :D
I went to the shop this afternoon after the Stars game (I worked this am at my real job). Started playing with the 55 gallon plastic drum I got at work for the chip catcher. Thought I needed to lower the cyclone to be closer to the top of the drum. I had the cyclone mounted where the motor was about 2" from the peak of the roof. This bothered me from the stand point of heat on the motor, wiring the motor (failed to do it before I mounted the cyclone up so high), as well as the 12" from the bottom of the cyclone to the drum. So I start removing screws, forgot I had so many in it, had to take the mounting bolts out of the motor plate to move the whole unit out to get to the hidden screws, then lower the unit one leg at a time to the right height, level the motor plate and the cyclone, then retighten everything.. Took me about 1 1/2 hours to do it. Looks better, more head room for the motor for cooling, and easier to get to for the wiring. I stand back admiring my work, then it dawns on me.... now the straight shot I had for my inlet pipe goes right through a ceiling joist. :mad: :mad: :mad: I don't want to raise it back up, so now I have an engineering problem to deal with in how to cut out about 7 or 8 inches of the joist, but reinforce things where it is structurally safe. I think I have it worked out, and it will fix another problem I have, albiet minor, in the process.
Seems I always take one step forward, two steps (or 20 :eek: ) backward. Well at least I have tomorrow planned out for me now!
Thanks for listening to me blow some steam off. Jim.

John Bailey
01-14-2006, 8:07 PM
Hang in there Jim. It's looks good and I think all of us get frustrated. I've been working a yr. and 3 months now, and it seems like every part of the job has to be be started over again. It'll all come together and will be great.

John

Gary Herrmann
01-15-2006, 12:44 AM
I know the shop is a lot of work Jim, but I gotta tell ya, you need to post more pup pix. We thought about doing the rescue thing. Even got on the list, but then we realized we'd never give them up.

Jim O'Dell
01-15-2006, 9:37 AM
I know the shop is a lot of work Jim, but I gotta tell ya, you need to post more pup pix. We thought about doing the rescue thing. Even got on the list, but then we realized we'd never give them up.

Gary, a lot of our foster homes feel the same way. Many of our foster homes keep the first one, then see how we view rescue work. If Glenna and I kept one or two, then we couldn't help save any more of them. We feel it is our mission to find the needy rescues, specifically Irish Setters for us although we have helped 5 or 6 English Setters and a couple of Goldens, rehabilitate them (we have one here now with a broken leg and is heart worm positive...he'll be with us for a few months) then find them loving forever homes. That way, we continue our mission and can help more dogs. We are lucky that we have a large network of foster families that help us. We have 4 dogs of our own, and there are 5 in foster care right now, only the one here at our house. We've had as many as 5 extra for a short time. Actually there have only been a couple of the dogs that I would have kept. My wife would have held on to a couple different ones. Considering that was over a span of 5 years and about 85 dogs or so, I thought we were doing very good!!:D
Don't give up on the idea. Know that you personally can't keep every dog in need. Know what your limits are, personally and by city code (that's part of the reason we moved to an unincorporated area). It's very rewarding, and sometimes heartbraking. Just like life. Jim.

Jim O'Dell
02-12-2006, 7:20 PM
All Right!! The Olympics are on, and I'm working on my ducting....what's wrong with this??? :eek: :D
I decided after work yesterday (Sat) that I really didn't want to fight the cooler weather in the unheated shop, so I stayed inside with the dogs (LOML was gone with 2 of them to an agility trial in McKinney) and watched some of the Olympics and played on the computer.
Today I started the ducting. I had built a bulkhead, if that is the right term here, to span a ceiling joist that I needed to cut for the inlet duct going to the cyclone. I really didn't want to have a curve in it that close to the unit. I know, I know, I should have plenty of headroom with this cyclone, but that's just me. In fact, I spent about 1 1/2 hours total deburring the fittings with a dremel and some emory cloth. Yeah, the "A" word probably fits here. :rolleyes: So today started with mounting the transition to the cyclone and siliconing it in place with some screws for security, per the instructions. Well, I did use 5 instead of the 4 in the instructions, but.... At this point I could mathmatically mark the 7 1/2 degree incline of the pipe and therefore the opening I needed to cut in the two sheets of 5/8" plywood I used to sandwich the roof rafters, ceiling joist, and 2X6 header I put under the ceiling joist to be cut for the ductwork to pass through. The header is mounted to two 2X8 headers cantilevered four feet past the walls for the cyclone closet.Ok, I used a 1X2, taped a pencil on it and used it to extend the inlet over and draw the hole. It actually worked pretty good! I could have cut the hole a little lower (1/4"), but it's good to go as is. Then I started measuring and cutting and re-cutting and re-cutting the 6" PVC pipe. I found that my table saw needs to have some tender loving recalibration work done on it since I moved it from the garage a few weeks ago.
Right now the duct work is just dry fitted. The section of pipe above the BS in picture 3 needs to be longer, and I'll need another piece of pipe to go over to the multi station, but I think it's going to work. I only had to move 2 ceiling mounted electrical outlets, and one of the spot light cans for the BS in the process. Not too bad I guess.
Thanks for looking. GO TEAM USA!!And good luck to ALL the competitors. May everyone involved have a safe and enjoyable Olympics. Jim

Edit I forgot the pictures! #1 is of the inlet and transition tube. #2 is the outlet for the TS, and #3 is the outlet for the BS/Jointer.

Corey Hallagan
02-12-2006, 8:22 PM
Wow, won't be long and you will be done and calling it home! Nice job Jim.

Corey

Jim O'Dell
06-25-2006, 10:50 PM
WOW,has it really been 4 months since I updated here? Man, that stinks. That means I haven't been doing much.
I've kinda let things sit on the back burner while I did stuff around the house. I've worked on the sprinkler system until I was ready to scream. After what seems like forever, when actually was probably 3 months, I've got that working again. Had to retreive a pump my dad took to his place over a year ago to see if it was any good. I watered the front this evening. Hopefully this pump will work for a while.
Anyway, the shop. A few months back, I mentioned in a DC thread that I was installing PVC pipe above the ceiling. Bill Pentz mentioned that having PVC above the ceiling where you couldn't see it was not good. (Bill actually said it much more diplomatically than that) Metal would have been better there. Well, I had already invested a bunch in PVC, so I had to think of another way to get around it. What I came up with was building a tunnel, if you will, that is open to the room below where I can keep an eye on the pipe in case I create a spark and it starts a fire in the pipe. I started with a domed tunnel using roof valley flashing. Good idea, but too hard to properly implement. So after several weekends and evenings of cutting my hands, and cussing, I tore it out and rebuilt with wood. It was much easier to handle where the main pipe Y's off to two different sides of the shop. It also allowed me to build some structure for my lights to mount back to. I'll probably have to reshoot the pictures. One is real fuzzy and the other may not show enough to tell what it is. The white parts are the reflectors I built for the flourescent lights.
If you remember I cried early in my rehab thread about what the previous owner had done with the slat wall material he must have gotten a good deal on. For those that missed it, he cut it and turned it vertical and used as wainscotting. Water on the floor damaged much of it. I saved as much as I could to try to use. One of the edges I took a picture of showed how many sheets were available. Well, I found the rest of it. Don't know why I hadn't noticed it before, but I went into the little shed west of the shop to look for some 1/4" plywood, and there it was. A 12 X 14 shed with the walls covered in plastic oak veneered slatwall, all turned on it's collective sides. Ever want to dig someone up from his grave and shoot him???? Guess I'll eventually see how much of it is damaged. Maybe there ares some larger sections I can use.
(edit: I went back and reread some of my earlier postings...evidently I had a senoir moment when I wrote the above paragraph. I had seen this before and just forgot it. Maybe that's why my wife looked at me funny when I mentioned it to her!)
I'm happy with how my weekend panned out. Unfortunately, it's back to work tomorrow. Have a good week!
Picture 1 and 2 are of the shop, and the other three are of the slatwall in the shed. Jim.

Jim O'Dell
07-01-2006, 8:25 PM
Well, here are a couple picture updates. Hopefully they will show a little better with the ducting dry fitted in place. I think I got my hanging system decided on. I might go get some supplies in the am and work on that tomorrow. Have a great remainder of the weekend! Jim.

Marty Walsh
07-01-2006, 8:34 PM
Looks like a tight fit Jim. Sure keeps it organized and out of the way. Nice job...

- Marty -

Jim O'Dell
07-01-2006, 10:36 PM
Thanks, Marty. I wish I had the head room that you are building in! Then I wouldn't have spent the last 5 months working out this detail. :( :( But it's still fun. Jim.

Marty Walsh
07-01-2006, 11:07 PM
Jim,

I won't have a headroom issue, that's for sure. I'm planning to run as much as I can up in the attic space, only coming through the ceiling for drops.

I see you're going to have all that pipe connected to a Clearvue...hope you don't get dizzy watching the dust swirl 'round... ;)

- Marty -

Jim O'Dell
07-01-2006, 11:10 PM
That's what the closet door is supposed to take care of!:D I actually looked into some clear pipe, but it was over 100.00 for 10'. Saw dust is not that fun to watch!!! Jim.

Jim O'Dell
10-08-2006, 7:52 PM
Well, things have been going slowly again. I'm still working on the cyclone ducting. I had the TS duct done except for the hood and the flex hose. Got the hood outlet enlarged from the 2 1/2" hose for the shop vac, to the 6" hook up for the cyclone today. It will take several layers of silicone to solidify it in place. (Picture 1) I also made a bridge clamp out of a regular band clamp and some spare metal. $1.50 instead of $7.00 to $9.00 each. I think it will work. Need to cut some flex and work it over the pipe to make sure. (Picture 2) Then I got a better idea for hanging my blast gate that will serve a dual role as the quick disconnect for the TS down pipe so I can move things out of the way and get my van under cover in case hail is forcasted. I had used bungee cords at first, but wasn't happy with the stability of it. In the change I used a different blast gate, and the down pipe is slightly too short. I needed one more pipe to finish everything anyway, so I will re-cut this from the new pipe. (Picture 3) I used the now too short pipe to plug into the spot to the left of the box bay window, but it won't stay put for pictures and I didn't have anything to prop it up with, so it's not in the picture showing the pipe going to that wall. (Picture 4)
I should have bought a round electrical box while at HD today for the work light I will put in the DC closet, but forgot to. I did work on a way to seal off the back of the contractor saw, and got the parts for that. It will take a while to fabricate, and may not work. But I'm hopeful for a really ingenious solution. :rolleyes: We'lll see.

Well, that's it for my weekend. Hope you've had a good one! Jim

Ben Grunow
10-08-2006, 9:13 PM
An addition to any shop is always welcome and you are halfway there!

Looks great and enjoying the pics. Looks like the inside corner where the planter is might be a good place for a yard drain and leader pipe drain (looks to me like the grade is low in the corner) to carry roof water and surface water away from the new space. This might not have been a prob when it was a patio but you could have water standing against your new wall if it rains hard enuf.

Hope the grade is the other way an it is just the pic that makes it look like potential problem. Good luck.

Jim O'Dell
10-08-2006, 9:54 PM
Ben, are you still on page one??:D :D I couldn't figure out your comment for a second. Had to go back and look at the other pages. You're talking about the 2 blue planter pots? It's really not low there. In fact there is a sprinkler system head directly in the corner. And the soil drains very well, in fact almost too good. Thanks for looking in. Jim.

Jim O'Dell
10-22-2006, 1:32 PM
Me again!:rolleyes: Well, my aim for this weekend was to get the major sections of the duct work finished. I took everything apart last weekend. I decided to paint the duct as most of it was discolored. (as talked about on it's own thread) Did that during the week in the evenings. I worked Friday evening after work for about 1.5 hours and got the 7' inlet piece set into the inlet transition, put the first 6-6-6 wye in pointing down for the TS, got a 45 ell on, and mounted my blast gate that serves as a quick disconnect to remove the down pipe so I can get the van in the shop when the need arises. I had to work Sat am. ate lunch, then put together the next pipe and it's 6-6-6 wye, but didn't place into the first wye yet.
Then the fun starts. LOML and I decided we needed to do some tree trimming. So worked for about 3.5 hours cutting dead wood out of trees, and trimming up some other branches that were haning too low in the circle drive hitting car tops as they drove through. Went to the back yard and decided to cut a 9 to 10' big branch off the side of one tree haning over the fence. There was only a little green growth at the end of the limb making a puff ball of sourts. Looked really weird and would only get into the power lines if left to grow. I cut about 2' off the end so it would swing to my side of the fence and not take out that section. Worked beautifully!
Then I went to the trunk to get rid of the rest of the limb. Got about 2/3 the way through and ran out of gas in the chainsaw. Let it cool down before filling, as I always over fill and spill some. Worked with the electric pole saw on the other end of the yard, filled the chainsaw up, and went to finish up. I'm on the 4th rung of a 6' aluminum ladder. I get to the point that the limb comes down, but I failed to undercut the limb, so it pulls a strip of bark down the trunk about a foot. In so doing, it swings the falling limb right into the ladder. Somehow I pitch the saw away from me, although I don't recall how. The ladder flies out from under me, I go airborne, and land horizontal on the 8 to 10" diameter limb, on my left side, that has landed on and twisted the ladder legs at the base. My body didn't bend well sideways. Knocked the air out of me. I sit up, look at the chainsaw to make sure it was away from me, then lay on my back to try to catch my breath. I partially sit up and look at the area, again at the saw, then look at my wife, who is strolling, strolling mind you:D , from the other end of the yard to my location. 'She kind of excitedly asked how to turn off the chainsaw, looks over the area, asked about my glasses, I pointed to where I thought they would have gone, and she grabs them, looks at them, hands them to me and says, 'Your one lucky puppy! I'll go get a wet wash cloth to wipe the cuts down. Better have some anti-bacterial soap on it. I'll get some Arnica for the swelling" And walks into the house. I'm about to catch my breath about now, and breathe deeply a couple times to make sure I didn't have any real pain to suggest broken rib(s). It felt ok, but I knew I had bruised them badly. Saw a big knot coming up on my arm, about 2.25 -2.5" above the wrist. Moved my wrist and arm around, ok there. Then I look at my poor ladder, decide to kick the limb off of it. First attempt and the limb rolls back at me. Catch it with my feet and push, scoot up under it, push, scoot up under it, scoot..."What are you doing?!?!?" comes bellowing from behind me. (UHOOOOOH) So I kick it one more time. Rolls back and bangs me in my shin. I just lay back down and shake my head and said. "Guess I won't finish the ductwork this weekend, huh?"
I was very fortuanate not to have had an encounter of the ugliest type with the chainsaw as I fell. Guardian Angels watching over me, as Amy Grant sang once upon a time. It hurt to watch the Stars hockey game last night, every hit I felt. This morning I'm laying around. Trying to get up and move around some to start working out the soreness. I'm actually not as sore this morning as I thought I'd be, but it's bad enough. Bending over and twisting the upper body are what hurt the most. I think I'll be able to go to work tomorrow, unless the second day after turns out to be worse than the first, which often happens.
So be careful this fall as you work outside. I thought I had planned my escape and was far enough from the tree that this couldn't happen. I was wrong. Don't you be!!! Obligatory pictures attached. Jim

Kelly C. Hanna
10-22-2006, 7:51 PM
Ouch....sounds like you lucked out though since the chain saw was nowhere near you. Also sounds like what I call an 'ender' to the day's activities!

Jim O'Dell
10-22-2006, 8:09 PM
Well, it was the last thing we planned on doing anyway. Unfortuanately it was the ender to the whole weekend. :( Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful. Just dissapointed I didn't get the ducting finished. Jim.

Jim Becker
10-22-2006, 8:16 PM
Ouch! I'm glad you're OK, Jim...that was a very close call, my friend... ;)

Norman Hitt
10-23-2006, 5:09 AM
Double OUCH!!!! Glad you got away from that chain saw though. About the same thing happened to my cousin (over close to Paris, Tx) last year.... nearly broke his nose, and said his glasses looked like a pretzel. I think he's given up tree trimming now, but said something about suggesting "Chain Saw Throwing" be added as a new Olympic Sport.;) Just goes to prove what I've said for years, "them Honey-do's" are DANGEROUS.:D Hope the sore spots go away quickly.

Jim O'Dell
11-15-2006, 9:13 AM
Well, today was supposed to be a milestone for my shop. TXU is scheduled to come out to reconnect the power lines at the weather head for the shop. Rioght now the wind is blowing 25 to 30 mph with gusts in the 40 to 45 reange, and is supposed to get worse.:eek: :mad: I'm sure the electric company will have to have all available personel for downed power lines and emergency repairs. I agree with that! But still it's a little dissappointing.
So the saga continues. I did get the exhaust outlet on the Clear View built to exhaust directly outside. I've got the holes marked on the wall where to cut. Sure wish I had a 6 1/8" hole saw!! I've got 3/4 wood siding, with a layer of 1" foam insulation board, then the Hardiboard siding on top of that. Could make for a really fun cut!
I'll keep you posted in case a miracle happens! Jim.

Jim Becker
11-15-2006, 9:43 AM
I've got the holes marked on the wall where to cut. Sure wish I had a 6 1/8" hole saw!! I've got 3/4 wood siding, with a layer of 1" foam insulation board, then the Hardiboard siding on top of that. Could make for a really fun cut!

"Sawsall" or equivalent. ;)

And I hear you on the weather. I think my septic testing is going to get quashed tomorrow due to the weather you are sending this way...

Jim O'Dell
11-15-2006, 11:13 AM
UPDATE!!
LOML called about 9:30, said TXU was there. I hustled home, took about 10 minutes.....no TXU truck. As I pulled into the side driveway, I could see the shop's weather head. Wires still disconnected. :confused: :confused: :( LOML raises the garage door and said she tried to catch me before I left, but just missed me. The work order had been written wrong. He didn't have the tools to reconnect the wires, could only turn on at the meter. So, here I sit, broken hearted. :D

Jim, I thought of my PC Tigersaw. While it would no doubt do the work, it might be hard to cut that tight of a circle, at least with the blaqdes AI have. I'll look to see if there are some narrower blades that would help. I think I can get the original wood siding from the inside with my jig saw, then drill a starter/center hole and go to the outside to finish it. I'll hopefully have time to do that this weekend. Jim.

glenn bradley
11-15-2006, 11:37 AM
Go Jim, go! I'm jealous.

Jim O'Dell
11-15-2006, 7:45 PM
It's On!!!
and nothing has burned down yet!! :D LOML called me about 2:30 to say the right person had come back to do the work, but she didn't think they needed me here. She was fine with helping him in the back yard. I couldn't leave at that moment because my co-worker on the drive had not gotten back from a meeting in Dallas, that he failed to tell me about.:mad: When he came in a little later, I called my last customer and updated her on her repair, then took my lunch hour and went home. I just forgot to go back is all, HONEST!! :rolleyes: :D Everything seemed to work except 1 110 circuit. I had the GFCI on it wired backwards. :o Redid that, and turned the Clear Vue on for 1.5 seconds. FFFFrooooommmmpt, rattle/scratchey/rattle, ppfffooooottttt. I forgot about the paper under the chip discharge at the bottom of the cyclone (don't have the chip barrel finished yet). Paper went everywhere! :eek: But it worked. I also tried my Mini Max E16. Fired right up the first time, seemed very smooth. Might have a blade rubbing a blade guide somewhere a little. But man that thing sounded nice!! (I've exchanged emails with and missed a phone message from Sam Blasco at MM. I would have called him this afternoon while I was off, but he said he would not be in this afternoon. So I'll find a time in the next week or so to talk to him.)
I'm stoked, though. I started this rehab 23 months ago, almost to the day. I still have a good ways to go, but having power is going to make it soooooo much easier to accomplish what needs to be done. Hope ya'll have a great remainder of the week. I'ts going to be real hard to drag myself to work! Jim.

Jim Becker
11-15-2006, 9:15 PM
Woo, hoo!! He has THE POWER! Congrats, Jim...you're cruisin' now!

Jim O'Dell
11-18-2006, 9:27 PM
Well, I got to spend a few hours in the shop today after working 8 to 1 at the real job. Cut the holes in the wall for the cyclone exhaust, built a spacer cut to fit the siding angles so the 2 vent plates can mount flush to something. Also brought a new chip barrel home from work. This one is smooth sided and the top will be easier to make fit a wooden lid for. How have you secured your lid to your barrel. I know some are commercially built units that come made with a mounting device. The cam lock units for a metal 55 gallon barrel won't work on either of these units. Some sort of spring latch that I can bolt on the outside would be ideal. Probably use small stove bolts from the inside to keep everything smooth for emptying. Or do you just let the suction handle it?
Hopefully I will have time tomorrow to mount the 2 exhaust plates. I'd like to hook the flex pipe up, but we have part of the day sectioned off to help a friend in need, so may not have much other time to play with.
Have I mentioned how nice it is to not be playing "pick an extension" game in the shop for tools?? I was starting to go nuts with only 2 110 outlets to work with for everything.
Have a great 2nd half of the weekend! Jim.

Jim O'Dell
11-19-2006, 8:05 PM
Here's a picture of how the vents turned out.
Then a picture of the inside view of the vents with the exhaust wye on the right.
I still need to cut the flex hose, make four more bridge clamps, and assemble everything. The vents are already in position, it's just the inside stuff that needs to be secured
And finally a picture, a very blurry picture :o of the shop lights. I took 2, but neither turned out well. I know I needed to give proof that I had electricity!!:D
Here's hoping that everyone travelling this week has a safe trip, and that we all get to spend some quality time with our families!! Jim.

Jim O'Dell
11-26-2006, 3:22 PM
IT REALLY WORKS!!!!!
Finished up the cyclone chip barrel lid about 1:00, turned it on with all of the blast gates closed, then opened the one for the TS since I had some dust collected in the pipe from use, and it looked exactly like the Clear Vue video! :eek: :D It's not near as loud as I had expected, and the closet is not even enclosed yet. In fact, I don't think it's any louder than my TS, and should be much quieter once I get the closet finished up. I'm sure having the exhaust go outside is a plus in the noise department, though we'll see if the neighbors think so.:D I was surprised at how long it took for the motor to quit turning after I killed the power. Must have spun for 3 minutes.
I had a little trouble with the seal this am. It didn't want to stick well. Had to use some spray adhesive on it. And I had to replace the flex hose that came on the Clear Vue with some I had bought. Don't know if it is the difference in brand, or if it was just out of shape, but it would not stretch over the PVC even after using a hair dryer on it several times. I finally got frustrated after about 45 minutes and just cut a piece I had and put on. Now if I can get the 4" in, I'll be able to try out the BS.
And I think I should have milked it a little longer, LOML has already asked if I was through with my weekend project.... Guess I'll find out if she has anything she's going to have me do. She already knows the Cowboys don't play again today.....
I will need to modify the front left lid tie down to make it easier to get the barrel out from under the lid. I've got an idea already. Should have made the lid a little wider. Oh well, maybe I'll remember next time.
The picture attached shows how I used the turn buckles to secure the lid to the barrel. 51037 The wood blocks have a curve on the barrel side to loosely match the curve of the barrel. Rough shaped on the TS, then hand filed to fit. Sure wish I had a spindle sander though. Need to get some sleeves to be able to use on the drill press until I get the sander. I had 1 eye bolt for the turnbuckle that was shorter than the others (left in picture), it will go to the rear where it isn't noticeable. Used a forstner bit to recess a hole for T-nuts to fit in to, then the eye bolts thread into that. Each block is held on by 4 Kreg coarse 1 1/2" screws on 1/4" fender washers from the inside of the barrel, with silicone in the hole that also squeezed out and sealed the washer and screw heads. Worked great.
Thanks for sharing in my excitement! Jim.

Jim O'Dell
02-18-2007, 8:25 PM
Gee, I haven't been very good at updating this thread. I have been working on the shop some, tho. I have insulated all the walls in both the main shop and the finishing room. Vapor barrier is all up in the main shop. Will have to get some more for the finishing room. May dig out some of the old stuff I've used for drop cloth in the past...we'll see. That 6 mil stuff ain't cheap!!
I also finished up the 3 light fixture reflectors. Still need to get the light fixtures purchased. The bottom half of the OSB is now installed, as is about 25 linear feet or so of the reclaimed slatwall material. A lot more of it is damaged beyond use than I thought woud be. I may try to salvage a little more to use on the left side of the cyclone closet, and the adjacent wall. We'll see.
I also had some problems on the New Year's weekend. We had lot's of rain that Friday. I had gone to the shop for some tools, it started raining real hard, so I decided to stay and piddle around for a bit and wait for a break. Glad I did because water started coming in the shop. I ended up digging a trench and breaking up the concrete sidewalk to get the water to flow away from the shop. Took about 2 hours to dry things out. Finally figured out what caused it, I think. LOML had used the blower on the leaves and sent everything toward the shop. I had looked at it several weeks and failed to get my hiney in gear to pick them up. They created a dam that backed water up in the back yard, causing the problem. Now I have a drainage problem to work on, and a sidewalk to repair. That is a project for this spring. Also, there is a small leak where the roof for the finishing room joins the shops main roof. When they added the covered porch, they didn't take the old roof off where it joins, and water is getting in somewhere in the valley and coming right down the shingles. I've got a plastic trough that funnels the water to a carbage can to catch it. works fine for now, but I'll have to pull the shingles off and reroof that section with proper valley flashing this spring also. I'll do that at the same time I install the ridge vent.
Was going to start cutting OSB for the ceiling this weekend, but the 30 year old Craftsman circular saw started dropping these little round steel balls out of it, and got very noisey!! The new Hitachi is supposed to be here Tuesday. Glad I had the jointer to work on today!!
Here are some pictures to prove what I've been doing!
Pic 1 and 2 are of the west wall,left and right sides. (sorry for the fuzzy picture)5822558222
Pic 3 is a bump up area so I can get sheet goods to stand up. My ceiling is 7' 8" here.58224
And this is a picture of the jointer. 58223The background also shows some of the OSB and slatwall on the east wall.
Sorry for the long time between updates. Thanks for looking! Jim.

Jim Becker
02-18-2007, 9:25 PM
Progress, Jim, progress!!!

Bob Michaels
02-18-2007, 9:54 PM
Lookin' good, Jim.

John Miliunas
02-18-2007, 10:02 PM
Awright...Positive progress! Bummer about the water, though. At least you figured out what needs to be done and maybe the LOYL will also pay a bit more attention next time, now that she knows what might happen. :o BTW, what flavor jointer is that? Anyhow, will be looking forward to subsequent updates! :) :cool:

Jim O'Dell
02-18-2007, 11:08 PM
Thanks guys. John, it is a Shop Master. 58278 It was given to me Sat. From the little I've spent on OWWM, it looks to have been made in mid 50's, maybe the year I was born!!:D It has a Craftsman 1/2 hp motor on it that has seen better days. No tag for a serial number on the jointer, but there are casting numbers on all the parts. It came on a metal stand with a wooden box on top with the jointer mounted to it, motor on a shelf below. There was also a makeshift mobility system under it. All in all, the beds were about 50" off the floor. Way too tall. The guy that gave it to me put new bearings in it and cleaned it up pretty well. Not factory color paint, but it will be fine. I've got it remounted on my old RAS base with a Herc-U-Lift on it for mobility. Both of the ones I've read about on OWWM were green, with red knobs and blade cover. Mine has green parts, and some signs that it may have been red at one time. Need to get some angle iron and make a shelf to put the motor on, then get a shorter belt, and it should be good to go. My first old 'arn! One of these days I want to get something I can rebuild...maybe a TS. Jim.

Chris Bolton
02-19-2007, 12:29 AM
Heck of a nice job so far. Can't wait to see the finished interior photos :)

Jim O'Dell
02-26-2007, 9:48 AM
Well, didn't get as much accomplished as I had hoped for this weekend, but then I never do. :D Came home from work Sat afternoon to find the wind storm had knocked out the electricity. Came on about 5:00 for about 7 minutes, then back off until Sun am about 5:30. Killed about 4 hours working in the shop for Sat.
Got a little of the ceiling installed, almost half. Maybe a little over half of what I can do until I get the roof leak fixed. Will take 3 days vacation the week of March 12 for a long weekend to see if I can strip the valley that is leaking, and re-roof it.
Here's a couple pictures of the ceiling.5894558944
Hope everyone has a good week! Jim.

Jim O'Dell
03-04-2007, 8:19 PM
OK! Much better weekend this time around! No power losses, no dust storms....all is good! Got the ceilings finished (except the corner where the leak is_, and the west, south and east walls finished!!! If I had one more sheet of OSB, I could have finished up half of the north wall, and only had the corner where the leak is to finish up. But that can wait.
The first 2 pictures are of the west wall. 59483 59482 The 3rd is the south west corner. 59484 The 4th is of the east wall. 59485
and #5 is the first duct drop, showing the recessed ducting. 59486
I'm very happy with how the weekend went. I hope you all had similar success with your weekend doings! Jim.

Jim O'Dell
03-14-2007, 9:54 PM
Yeah!!!!Vacation!!!!!!

Well, this is the first of 3 extra days off. After telling TLOML that I would not be available for dog duty this am as I needed to get an early start on the roof repair on the shop, I get handed a list of things to go out and get at the grocery and feed stores as I took the sprinkler pump to be repaired. There went the morning!:( So I got back about 11:30 and started in on it. By lunch (2:00:eek: ) I had everything stripped off, and this is what I found in the valley where the leak appeared to be coming from. The first two shots, 60294 and 60295 show the north side of the shop roof and the valley in question. Notice anything wrong?? Wait, it gets better... This shot is in the dead center of the valley. 60296 I've got my leg's shadow over the point in question... yep, that's a nail they put in the middle of the valley, poking a hole in the roofing felt in the process. "Gee boss, that won't be a problem will it?" "No son, go ahead and shingle over it" :confused: :confused: and the last one 60297shows the roof leading to toe valley. See a problem here? :mad: No wonder it leaked. I did run one strip of felt up the outside edge, but have horizontal runs weaving through the valley over it.
I'm also going to be installing the ridge vents for the roof while I'm at this, so needed to mark the positions on the roof while I was up there. Could I find my chalk line? Run to Home Depot to get a new one, went ahead and got me a new pair of gloves, and 5 bundles of shingles. Did I get any more roofing nails?:mad: :mad: I'll do what I can with what I have, then go get some more. Cleaned off the roof after getting the roofing felt installed, then boxed all the tear off into boxes for disposal. I'll start roofing in the am.
Funny thing is, we had a pretty hard rain for about an hour yesterday...roof didn't leak! But I knew it would again. This is what vacations are for isn't it?? Yeah, working on the shop!! Jim.

glenn bradley
03-14-2007, 9:59 PM
It is really coming along now! Keep up the momentum ;-)

Jim O'Dell
03-17-2007, 8:08 PM
Quick progress report (The Stars are starting:D )
I finished the roof yesterday evening about 7:30. We helped transport 2 English Setters on their way to San Antonio after spending the night here with us last night. Stopped at the outlet mall in Hillsboro and spent a little more of my 3+ year old gift certificate I keep forgetting to use. A new light weight jacket has been needed for a while, and they had some cool looking flipflops.
Got home, cleaned the roof debris off and boxed up for disposal. Finished the last 3 ceiling panels in the shop and started the last of the wall panels. Will finish them tomorrow, along with duties the LOML just added to my Sunday plate, and see about using some of what's left in the gallon container of Kilz. I have 2 more days of vacation to take between now and April 23, so as soon as I can get some paint money together, I'll schedule another long weekend to get that part done.
Here are two pictures of the roof. The first one is the south side of the shop that I didn't touch, except for the ridge vent. 60516 this second is the side I redid. 60517 Think it will pass?
Have a good remainder of the weekend. Jim.

Jim O'Dell
03-27-2007, 9:08 AM
Well, we had a good 2" rain yesterday and last night. Shop stayed dry!!! YEAH!!!!! I'm a happy camper. Now I can get on to painting the inside, and starting the built in benches. Jim.

Jim O'Dell
04-15-2007, 8:37 PM
Wanted to paint last weekend, but it was just too cold. So I rested. This weekend started out pretty cool yesterday, so I went out and got the vents for the eaves and installed most of them. I have a problem with clearance between the eaves and the box bay window roof on the west side that I need to figure out. Hopefully the jig saw will fit in there. 62504
I started out today priming the eaves as it warmed up outside faster than in the shop. Took a short break for lunch, then to the shop for 5 hours of priming. Since I had already put one coat on the walls, I started with the ceiling, then put a second coat on the walls, then back to the ceiling for it's second coat. Looks very nice now, in fact nice enough that it will do for now. I can think about a top coat later on if I feel it needs it. The Kilz 2 latex comes out almost pure white. IIRC, it has a slight grey tint to it.62499625006250262503
Well, I've got 2 days of vacation this week on Thurs and Fri. After I put the finish coat of paint on the eaves, I'll get the shop back into some semblance of order, and start making a built in work bench for the alcove in the first inside shop picture above. Hope you all had a good weekend! Jim.

Kelly C. Hanna
04-16-2007, 11:35 AM
It's looking good Jim...glad it's you painting and not me...:D

Jim O'Dell
04-16-2007, 5:24 PM
It's not my favorite thing to do either. I think I have a permanent crick in my neck. That's part of the reason that it's white enough for me, for now. No top coat planned for the time being. ;) Jim.

Jim Becker
04-16-2007, 10:03 PM
Looking good, Jim...progress!

Frank Snyder
04-16-2007, 10:31 PM
How much longer, Jim? You should be ready to start setting up those tools pretty soon. Almost there...

Jim O'Dell
04-18-2007, 10:00 PM
Thanks guys. Frank, most of the tools have been in there and usuable. I had to dismantle some things like 2 DC pipes to get the ceiling in. I need one more fitting before I put one section back in so I don't have to take it back apart later. Need to finish up the BS adjustments so it is usuable and re-pipe the DC to it. I'm off work the next 2 days, work half a day on Sat, then Sun off, so we'll see how much I get done. I need to get and install the gutter on the east side of the shop to get water away from my problem area. That's on tap for tomorrow. May wait until the next big rain to see if I need to put in some drain pipe in the ground to move that away from the shop, or if I can just do some "landscaping" to pitch the water away, although I'm not sure with the sidewalk cutting across the path the water would need to go that that idea would even work. The drain pipe may be the easiest thing to do for my old aching body. :rolleyes: So hopefully, do the gutter work after painting the eaves, maybe figure out how to get the west wall vents in the eaves, and hopefully work on the built in work bench. Jim.

Jim O'Dell
05-16-2007, 10:21 PM
Well, I'm a month behind again.:rolleyes: Trying to think what I've updated and what I haven't. I got the gutters up, the eaves primed and painted. Gutters seem to be a major help in the water problem, but have only had shorter medium rains since I put them up. But no standing water in the problem corner of the shop. Before painting the eaves, I got the strip of venting material installed. It was a pain in the back side cutting the eave above the box bay window for the vent as I only had about 4" of room. It's not pretty, but it will work.
Then I started on the bench, as detailed in the last post of thie thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=56585
I was not pleased with the unfinished look of the different materials I used to do the bench, and also decided I wanted to put in some drawers. 64765So last week I got a sheet of 1/2" baltic birch ply from HD, and cut the sides and bottoms for the 6 drawers. I finished them up tonight. Had to improvise on the 2 lower drawer bottoms as I ran out of the birch ply. 64763 And there are no dovetails in sight, unless you look outside the shop.:D 64764 There are a few flying around out there. Just quick rabbits, glue, brads, and screws. The slides are the ones from Lowes that were closed out a few months back for really cheap. They aren't fancy, but they are fine for this application. I think I bought too many 24" ones and not enough 18" ers. I can use a few more 24's when I build the slide out shelves under the TS extension for the jig storage, but not sure where elso to put any that deep. The multistation cabinets will only be 21" deep.
The fronts are made from some cabinet door material left from the previous owner. Seems the wife wanted white cabinets, so they took out the cheap site built birch ones, and built some cheaper site built white ones. :confused: They mounted the take out upper cabinets in the garage for storage, and these are some of the left over doors. I will eventually paint the main bench, and enclose the recessed area underneath with some plywood.
I've got a portable pump house to build this weekend so I can water the yard again, then it's on to the built in bench on the west wall for my multi-station set up. I think I've about got it figured out how to do it. Thanks for following! Jim.

Jim O'Dell
05-27-2007, 9:54 PM
OK! I'm back for an update. If you saw my thread about what type of top to put on my multistation cabinets, this is what I've done today.
The first picture shows the parts for one panel. The plywood is at the top of the 2x material, but is hard to see since it is all sitting on another piece of ply. 65361
The next 3 pictures show the parts being assembled.653626536365364
And the last picture, of course, shows the panel fully assmbled. 65365I only got enough 2 X 4s to make the master, and 4 more panels. I have those 4 dry fitted and stacked on top of each other to check that they are the same size. They are now, after a little work. I need to get 2 more 2 X 4 X 10s, and 4 2 x 4 x 12s to finish up this one side. Then I'll start on the other. I'll wait for the torsion box tops until the bottoms are done and I can check my dimensions to make sure it all comes out the the height of the TS.
Thanks for looking. Have a great week! Jim.

Jim O'Dell
06-03-2007, 8:45 PM
Well, here is where I got to today. This one shows the whole enchilada. 65771Ok, half an enchilada, since there will be another one of these on the other side of the box bay window. Note: I cut all the wood I had and got going on the cuts for the bottom two that had wider daddos and forgot to stop when I got to doing the ones for the upper back and upper front stretchers! 65770So those will be the lower ones on the other side, and I'll cut two replacements for this side.
:mad: Even though I checked each panel against the master as a reference when building them to make sure they were all the same size, (after gluing and screwing together) There is still one that is off somehow. May be the floor interfering with it, and making it off, I don't know. But as I told Glenna (LOML), it's a bench, it's not fine furniture. :D But it IS sturdy!!!
There's nothing on TV to watch, so I cut some more 2X4s to get ready for the next 6 panels. Got 3 of the final 5 cut and ready for dry fitting. Then the last 2 will need to be shorter, I think. I need to see if Bob has some more of the adjustable feet. I've only got 1 left, and I need 12 for the second half of the enchilada. I'll take one of the extra Hurc-U-Lift Plus units to him for all he's given me with these adjustable feet, and the 50 year old jointer!! I think I'll still be way ahead!

Hey, are you guys in west Texas sending storms our way again???? Jim.

Jim O'Dell
06-17-2007, 6:47 PM
Ok, now for some more of the enchilada.:) Got most of the other bench done. Need one more 8' 2X4 to finish the extra braces. 66502 I won't get much shop time the next 3 weekends, major cleaning for company after next weekend, then company for 10 days or so with local dog shows the weekend following the Fourth holiday. We'll show 3 of the 4 days. And I doubt that I'll have the money to start the bench tops by next weekend. Maybe if Bob comes through with the adjustable feet I need, I can get that finished up on the second half, and get it levelled to the first half. It will take about 2 hours to drill the adjusters to be able to mount them. And another hour to level the bench.
Hope you've had some quality time in your shop or with your family this weekend! Have a great week. Jim.

Jim O'Dell
08-19-2007, 10:39 PM
Long time no update! My thread seeking help on building the torsion boxes kept me going in the interim.
As of this weekend, I now have the torsion boxes leveled and co-planer to the TS top, and attached to the bench bases. 70282 70283The "fences" are now built, laminated, and attached to the benches. 70284 I thought I'd have time to build one of the top sections and cut the hole for the cyclone ductwork to go through, but I ran out of time.
I will need to build a spacer to put under the T-track to have the top of it match the lamintate surfaces of the tops. 70285 It looks like 2 thicknesses of the laminate will do a perfect job. Hopefully I have enough scraps to do it.
Thanks for looking in! Have a great week. Jim

Jim Becker
08-19-2007, 11:14 PM
Bench looks nice, Jim! Thanks for the update.

Don Bullock
08-19-2007, 11:31 PM
Wow, Jim that's quite a job you've been working on. Your shop is really starting to come together. As one who also shows dogs, I can relate to all the time needed for that aspect of your life that takes you away from your shop project. There are months when all our weekends are taken up with shows. I'm at least a year or two away from being able to set up a shop. After we retire the LOML and I plan to move to a place where we can have all our dogs and I can have a dedicated shop. Reading through your thread has given me some great ideas and also shows my how much work is involved. For now I share a garage with two cars in a tract home with a wife and seven basset hounds. Yes, it gets very crowded. Thanks for your posts.

Kendall Landry
08-19-2007, 11:35 PM
Gitter done Jim !!!:D

Tyler Howell
08-20-2007, 8:51 PM
Got a first hand look last week.
Looking great Jim.
Fine work.:cool:

Jim O'Dell
08-28-2007, 8:34 PM
Thanks guys. I have the tops made now, but only the 8' sections resting in place for now. 70752 The short sections still need one more coat of poly on the back sides.70753
Worked my fanny off on the roof today. Got the old torn off, and the felt in place. Will start the shingles in the morning. The heat wasn't as bad as the sun shine. I came inside from 12 to 3, then the trees were shading half of the roof and made things bearable again. Changed shirts 3 times! Had to go get some more felt as I was aobut 17 feet short. Just looked, the picture I took is too fuzzy even for me to post.:eek: :D
Well, it's my turn to start supper. LOML will be in from teaching in about a half hour. Hopefully I'll have pictures of shingles tomorrow! Jim.

Bob Feeser
08-29-2007, 12:50 AM
Looks to me like somebody is woodworking heaven. Keep the pics coming.

This is better than being a kid. You really are building your own fort, and you are using more than chairs and a blanket.:)

Way to go. I shared that feeling when I built my addition and shed. Wish I had more ground.

They say home is where the heart is and it is apparent that yours is in this creation.

Jim O'Dell
09-09-2007, 7:25 PM
Well, I see I haven't updated the multistation cabinet pictures, since I do have the tops on! 71587

I've been working on my router table for the last week, which is why I have so many questions out today about different aspects of the router table! Thought I'd share some of my progress.

This first picture is the base with the top frame on top. 71580The stained legs are the part that I salvaged from the 2 story dog crate stand from the old house. Had to add the stretchers on top to get to the height I needed. Bracing is all half lapped, glued and bradded. Couldn't stretch the base out farther because of the limits of the Herc-U-Lift. It is jury rigged now to get it this big! the base is 31.5 X 39.5
This second shot is of the bottom layer of the table top. 71581 I had to piece it together to get it all out of 1 sheet of MDF. I doubt that it will be a problem. I had to piece together the torsion box tops for the multistation tops and they did fine.
The last shot is of the top section.71582 I still need to put the edge on it, and then laminate the edge and top. Then cut in the ledge for the PRL to sit on. I plan on taking one afternoon off from work this week, then I also have next weekend. Still need to try my idea out for the cord. Lots of things to finish up.
Hope you had a good weekend! Jim.

Jim O'Dell
09-19-2007, 10:08 PM
Thought I'd post a little update. I have the top done now. Didn't go flawlessly, but it is done. I haven't locked it down to the base yet. I did the modifications to make it an updraft design. Will report later when I get everything on it and working.
The problem I had is somehow I missed a piece of wood chip that got on the laminate. I had been very careful. Maybe it was on the wood sleepers I used between the 2 pieces to align the laminate before sticking it down. Regardless, there is was. 72243 72244A mountain growing under my laminate. Only thing I knew to do since it wouldn't pull back up was to take a small Forstner bit and drill out the spot so that the laminate would lay down flat around it. I'll have to patch it with something. May try some laminate, may make the spot the size of a penny and epoxy it in and put an epoxy coating over it so it is level with the laminate. The other thing I thought of was to get a brass screw with a flat head the size of the opening and put it in level with the top. If you have any suggestions, I'm open to them!
This last picture shows the 8 X 4 metal outlet and transition between the framework of the base for the dust collection. 72245 I've built a sliding "door" that will cover a 6" hole in the bottom of the router chamber that I can open fully, or close off as much as I want to see if it will control/balance airflow between router chamber and fence pickup. Thanks for looking, and I let me know if you have a better solution for my hole than I do. (Visible in the first 2 piectures.) Jim.

Chuck Lenz
09-19-2007, 11:28 PM
Jim, I kind of like the penny idea, but if the hole isn't big enough put a dime in it, and see how many people try to pick it up.

Nathan Conner
09-20-2007, 12:06 AM
I'll have to patch it with something. May try some laminate, may make the spot the size of a penny and epoxy it in and put an epoxy coating over it so it is level with the laminate.

I read that and thought..."WOW. What an ingenious idea!"

Then, I realized I misread it.

But I remember as a child going to my Grandmother's house. There was always this wheat penny embedded in the concrete steps up to her door that I'm sure is still there to this day. I always was fascinated with it when I went there, and hearing you say that brought memories of that flooding back.

So, just do it like I misread it...put a penny in it - 2007, nice and shiny - and then use a good clear epoxy/finish over it. Great for nostalgia, years from now, and a nice conversation piece.

Or, perhaps I need to get out more. :)

Chuck Lenz
09-20-2007, 8:10 AM
Another option would be to put a miter track there.

Jim Dunn
09-20-2007, 8:19 AM
Go for one of those recalled Susan B Anthony dollar coins.:) That's such a rich looking router table it needs something more than a penny.

Kelly C. Hanna
09-20-2007, 8:45 AM
I like the penny idea too...nice table Jim!

Brian Weick
09-20-2007, 9:48 AM
Hey Jim,
Nice job- I like your shop- and everything else you have done -WTG!
Brian

Jim O'Dell
09-20-2007, 7:41 PM
I read that and thought..."WOW. What an ingenious idea!"

Then, I realized I misread it.

But I remember as a child going to my Grandmother's house. There was always this wheat penny embedded in the concrete steps up to her door that I'm sure is still there to this day. I always was fascinated with it when I went there, and hearing you say that brought memories of that flooding back.

So, just do it like I misread it...put a penny in it - 2007, nice and shiny - and then use a good clear epoxy/finish over it. Great for nostalgia, years from now, and a nice conversation piece.

Or, perhaps I need to get out more. :)

Nathan, you read it right, I just didn't state it very clearly. That was meant as two possible fixes. Imbedding the penny is sounding more and more like the easiest thing to do.

Go for one of those recalled Susan B Anthony dollar coins.:) That's such a rich looking router table it needs something more than a penny.

No, no dollars for me, although I do have a couple of the new dollar coins a customer gave me. Hmmmm....... Other than that, contrary to the last name, I actually have a lot more Scottish blood in me than Irish. Using a whole dollar to cover the hole just doesn't sit well, if you know what I mean.:D:D:D
Thanks for the comments guys. I probably won't get any shop time this weekend to work on it. Friend from Tucson arriving tomorrow morning for 2 dog shows over the weekend. So I'll have to play with this next week. Jim.

randy street
09-23-2007, 8:32 AM
Jim,

How about the Texas quarter?

Randy

Jim Dunn
09-23-2007, 8:54 AM
Jim,

How about the Texas quarter?

Randy

That's the biggest quarter I've ever seen. He's not fixing a 4" hole just a little bittyyyy one.:D

randy street
09-23-2007, 7:44 PM
That's the biggest quarter I've ever seen. He's not fixing a 4" hole just a little bittyyyy one.:D

They always say things are bigger in Texas!!:D

Randy

Ben Grunow
09-23-2007, 8:14 PM
Might be a good place to route in a track system for panel sled and miter guage?

Nice shop and RT. I would epoxy a small piece of laminate after carefully shaping it with a file/sand paper or cut the hold larger and perfectly round so a patch would be easier to match (maybe a nice bowtie dutchman of contrasting laminate?)

Or...just use it that way for about 20 years until you make a new table!

Jim O'Dell
09-27-2007, 8:39 PM
Well, I epoxied in a 2007 penny. Was a little disappointed that in mixing the epoxy, tiny little air bubbles were created that wouldn't come out. So they cloud the penny a little, but not too bad. Here's a picture of the table with the fence mounted. 72618 I still need to take the table top back off and mount it back while levelling it. Right now it is just sitting on the base. Then I can start making the sides and drawers for it.
Thanks for the suggestions! I appreciate it a bunch. Jim.

Jim O'Dell
10-07-2007, 9:49 PM
Thought I'd report what I did this weekend on the router table. Like every other flat surface in the shop, it has "stuff" all over it now!http://familywoodworking.org/forums/images/smilies/017.gif
I made the opening at the bottom of the router enclosure have a sliding door so that I can control how much air is getting in to make the flow work best. I rigged a threaded rod through a tapped L bracket on the sliding door, and out the front. 73182 73183I made a crank handle out of a scrap piece of oak, and some hard wood dowel (not sure of the species). 73184Works great! And the door slides very smoothly.
Yesterday I put in the rails and stiles to show where the doors and drawers go.73181 The top 3 openings on the right side will be drawers. The very top one is shallow to hold the Incra guide book and templates. The next 2 are for bit storage. The lower one may be a door with a bin on the back...haven't decided yet.
The 2 spots on the left side will be doors with bins attached to the back, and will allow access to the air inlet to change speeds on the router if need be. I will also put in some type of tool rack to put the crank tools for the lift, and specialty tools for the Incra fence so they are close at hand. I need to get some oak boards to make drawers and doors from, and some oak ply to finish off the other 3 sides and to lend some strength to keep it all from racking as much. It's not bad, but it's not solid either. I'll have to leave about 12" or so on the right side at the bottom open so I have access the Herc-U-Lift for the mobility aspect. Then finish staining and put a few coats of finish on it. It's a little rougher than what I wanted. A few things didn't go as planned, but I think it will be a serviceable table for a few years.
I picked up 2 sheets of birch ply at HD this afternoon to make drawers out of. I want to learn to do the dovetails so that I will have that fairly solid when I start the bathroom vanity project. I mean, that's what all this equipment is for, right?! Have a great week! Jim.

Jim O'Dell
10-21-2007, 10:40 PM
Well, I've played with the Incra doing dovetails a little. Had some success, lots of failures :p and learned a little in what to look out for. I think when I get the router bit set with all the bits I'll need, I be in good shape. Need to cut some of the baltic birch ply down and try some drawers for the router table. Maybe next weekend.
I did rewire the table saw for 220 today. Also this weekend, I started the overhead dust pick up guard for the table saw. Had a little problem getting the blade to track on the BS again. I think I was over tensioning the blade causing it to pop off. Anyway, got that working, cut out some 3/8" plastic the previous owner had left here, sanded the edges smooth and the 2 pieces the exact same size. Then started putting it together this evening. This is how far I got:
This last picture shows that I didn't pay close enough attention to drilling the holes in perpendicular to the side on the 2 that go into the spacer bar that will be at the rear of the pickup, but it should work fine. 73919The piece of thin plastic that will be the top is a piece of PTEG scrap I got from Ed Morgano at Clear Vue. It should curve nicely. Once I get it all screwed down and the hose adapter cut and mounted (its in the middle of the first picture being used as a spacer. It's a PVC 4" to 4X3 downspout adapter), I'll pull it back apart, take the protective coating off the PTEG, and reassemble with epoxy and the screws. Hopefully I can show a finished product next weekend.
I hope everyone had a good weekend, and all are rested and ready for the new work week. Jim.

Jim O'Dell
12-10-2007, 9:53 PM
OK, this will revert back to the router table. I did some more work the last 2 weekends as I mentioned in the "Weekend doings" thread. Here are the pictures to back up the words. :rolleyes:
This first picture shows the raw drawers installed. 76859Still need to decide how to do the bit storage in the lower 2 drawers. Thinking 1/4" BB ply with something under them to cushion...maybe something like insulating foam board with matching holes to keep the bits from falling over.
Second picture shows the 6" duct hook up and the location of the master switch.76860
Third shows the other 2 sides. May need to redo the partial piece to cover the drawer runner. 76861
And #4 shows the ducting inside the cabinet.76862
Well, I will tackle the drawer fronts and the working and false doors for the remaining openings this next weekend as time allows. Thanks for looking in! Jim.

Tyler Howell
12-11-2007, 8:48 AM
You've been real busy Jim.
Nice Job.
Hi! to the Bride & pooches
TJH

Steve Clardy
12-11-2007, 11:27 AM
Looks like your shop and shop projects are coming along great Jim;)

Jim O'Dell
12-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Thanks guys. Hey, you two, and all the others, stay warm with all that cold freezing stuff up there. Jim.

Jim O'Dell
12-18-2007, 9:08 PM
Well, here's the latest update. I didn't get much time in the shop this weekend. Cut the doors and drawer fronts out Sat. Mounted the 2 doors Sunday. Monday after work, got the 6 screws I needed and mounted the drawer fronts and cut the wood for the tool caddys for the big door. 77455 Tonight I routed the edges and decided how to mount them. 77456
Now to find a stain that will make the birch close to the oak in color. Will have to go by Woodcraft on Sat and see what they might be able to show. I doubt that HD or Lowes will show stains on birch. Ace didn't last night.
Thanks for looking in. Have a great rest of the week. Jim.

Steve Clardy
12-18-2007, 9:28 PM
Cabinet is coming along great Jim;)

Jim O'Dell
02-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Well, I see I need to take a picture of the finished router table!! http://familywoodworking.org/forums/images/smilies/redface.gif I have it finished. I could use one more knob for the dummy door on the bottom right, but that's no big deal.
I got the SCMS that was second on my list last weekend at a great price. This weekend I've started the mobile stand that will allow it to dock into the multifunction cabinet. Didn't make a lot of headway. Had a basic plan drawn out, but many of the specifics on how it was going to work were done sitting and thinking as I finished a cut. Now I need to exchange 3 bolts and find some laminate to continue.
Picture one shows the saw sitting on the top of 3 layers of 3/4" MDF. 80740 Notice the 4 holes to the outside of the saw. The second picture shows the sub base, 2 layers glued and screwed together, with 4 routed slots. 80741 Bolts will go through the holes in the top layer and through the slots. Under that will be some knobs from Peachtree that comes with their heavy duty T-track. This will allow me to adjust the SCMS to keep the fence co-planer with the built in fences on the multifunction tables.
The last picture took me a while to build. Since the SCMS is only about 21" wide, and the slot for it to fit in is 36" wide, I need some filler for the gap, and to give some support for wider boards. This is my solution. 80742 I still need to work on a way to adjust them so that they will be co-planer with the tables on the benches, but I have an idea for that. I just need to figure out how to implement it!
I tried 2 Lowes today looking for black laminate. Neither one had it. There is one more out in Weatherford that I think I remember seeing some at. I might try there after work tomorrow, and trade the bolts out that are too short. If that fails, I'll have to find a day I can take off work for the afternoon, and go get some more of the matching laminate that I've already been using.
Late today I started the cabinet part of the SCMS cart. I have everything to finish it with in the shop. Hopefully I'll get some time this week after work to do a little on it. I need to cut some dados in some2X4s for the 3/4" ply to fit into.
Well, the Giants pulled off the upset. The Pats just never got their game on. Thanks for looking in, and have a good week everyone! Jim.

Tyler Howell
02-04-2008, 10:43 AM
You've been busy,
Nice Job.
TJH

Kelly C. Hanna
02-05-2008, 7:37 AM
Looks great Jim! I love the SCMS you got. I have one as well and wouldn't trade it. One thing you might want to do is router out that top MDF board where the miter angle handle travels....it can get a little tight if you have big hands!

Just curois....what was your first choice in SCMS's?

Jim O'Dell
02-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Kelly, my first choice was the Makita LS1013FL. I like the larger table for supporting boards, or at least I think I would like it better. Also It has a little larger motor, But I like the Hitachi just fine. Got the bolts to anchor it down to the top sheet last night. Now I've got to find some laminate. No one so far has had something that will go with the green I already have that I got on close out. Black would look good with it, but I'm still looking for some.
Thanks guys. Jim.

Jim O'Dell
03-15-2008, 9:03 PM
Well, I finally got the SCMS cart to the point of being usable. Not finished, but usable. Still need to devise some type of dust control.collection. I have a couple ideas, but need to get a 6-4-4 wye to make the first one to work. Haven't seen one of them yet. Hopefully there is an HVAC unit that will work. I used a 8-6-6 metal one for the exhaust on the cyclone, so I hope the 6-4-4 is available.
This is not a show piece. It is a utility cart. I will be painting the rest of the multipurpose bench the same grey as the cart...eventually. There are a bunch of pictures, to show.
Pictures 1&2 show the base with the sub top attached. This sub top is 2 layers of 3/4" MDF. laminated on top and sides, painted on the bottom. Notice the 4 slots for adjustment of the top plate. 8411684117Picture 3 shows the SCMS sitting on top of the top plate. This plate is 1 layer of 3/4" MDF, laminated on all 6 sides. If you look closely, you can see the 4 holes for bolts that go through the slots in picture 2 for adjusting. This also shows one wing in place. 84118Picture 4 shows the underneath side of the top plate and the screws recessed into the plate so the 2 layers of the top will slide on each other and not be gouged by the screws. 84119 Picture 5 shows the left wing. 84120
(continued on the next post)

Jim O'Dell
03-15-2008, 9:11 PM
Picture 6 shows the underneath side of the left wing. 84121And 7 shows a close up of one of the adjusters. 84122 Picture 8 shows the top with both wings attached. 84123And # 9 shows the top plate in place on the base and sub plate. 84162
Then the last picture shows it in place and all levelled out.84165 The contrast of the black laminate with the patterned green I already used came out nicely. I still have some other work to do on this as well. I have an idea that will allow me to secure this to the other 2 cabinets. It will also make aligning it a lot easier...hopefully so I won't have to make gross adjustments each time I move it into place, although it really is easy to do. I'll try to remember to take a picture from underneath it tomorrow to show how easy it is to loosen things up and make the adjustment if needed.
Thanks for looking in. Hope you all had a beautiful day to work in the shop like it was here. Tomorrow I get to trim trees. :(:( But it has to be done, and its a few weeks late now. Jim.

Don Bullock
03-16-2008, 8:36 AM
Jim, you shop is coming along great. The SCMS station is an excellent design. That's something I'll have to make as soon as I get in a more permanent shop. I have the same Hatachi SCMS and have found it to be very accurate and easy to use.

Kelly C. Hanna
03-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Very sharp looking table there Jim!

Jim O'Dell
04-03-2008, 11:35 PM
Thanks guys! Sorry it has taken me this long to post back here.
Well, as of this evening, I have a new addition to the shop. We had to change out the air handler system in the house, and as they were pulling the squirrel cage down from the attic, I thought out loud, Hmmm.....I might be able to use that in the shop. One of the installers asked if I had 220. I mentioned that I had a separate 200 amp service...he thought that would suffice. :D
Then I noticed that it had the heat strips still attached. (heat pump emergency heating) Might I be able to have heat next winter????? I'll have to see if I can safely make it work that way. Most likely will just use the blower to exhaust dust and move some air around in the shop for the summer. I just hope it won't be like standing behind a jet taking off. It's out of a 2500+ sq ft house, and the shop, including both rooms, is only 620. Guess we'll see.
If anyone has any ideas on how to safely make the heat part work, I'd be interested in hearing them! Jim.

Jim O'Dell
04-20-2008, 8:51 PM
Well, after the storms last week, I found out that my gutters alone were not going to keep water out of the shop.:(:( So I decided to follow the suggestions of others here and put in a french drain. I started digging Sat at about 11:00 am after making my run to Lowes for supplies. I got more done Sat than I thought I would, knocked off about 6:00. Still had about 20' of trench for the discharge pipe to do today. Started at 10 this morning, and finished the rest of the trench at about 2:30, then broke for lunch. I didn't take any pictures of the pipe naked in the trenches, but I did take some pictures of the empty trenches!!! Aren't you happy??:p:p
I'm going to be hurting tomorrow!! Wonder if I can call in sick because I'm too sore to get out of bed??
Picture one is the south wall of the finishing room. 86876 Picture 2 is the east wall of the shop. 86877 And #3 is the discharge trench down the east side of the finishing room. 86878 Look just like trenches you have dug before, huh??? Only maybe your's were straight!! :eek:
I didn't take any of just the pipe in the trenches, but I should have to show what I did on the south side of the finishing room. Did you notice that that trench is wider than the others? Well, it's because I used a wye just past the sidewalk to that trench and put in 2 10' lengths of perforated pipe, then one back along the east side of the shop. Now that part is all covered in. The pipe is wrapped with the landscape cloth...double thickness on top. 20 bags of rock for drainage (OH my aching back!!), Another single layer of cloth on top of the rock, then a couple inches of dirt on top of it all. I glued the wye and els in, but the straight pipe is just friction fit. Not that I'll be taking this out, but just couldn't see the pipe moving.

(continued on next post....)

Jim O'Dell
04-20-2008, 8:53 PM

I know that this is going to settle a lot, so I have this in reserve. 86885 To fill back in. The rest will be used in the back yard.
I'm one piece of PVC short for the drain, then I'll need to finish off the discharge area so the water will disperse instead of carving a canyon on it's way to the creek. And no, I'm NOT about to run the pipe all the way to the creek!! (another 35 feet or so)
I hope everyone had a good weekend and the rest of you got some shop time. I ran in and out of mine a few times, and I did use the old ryobi miter saw to cut the PVC. Does that count? Have a good week! Jim

Jim O'Dell
04-24-2008, 10:08 AM
Well, I tore down the shop last night. Not literally, but I unhooked everything, moved it out of the way so I could pull my van in. Got an eye full of saw dust. Worked on it for 4 hours, never could get it out. It worked it's own way out over night, thank goodness. Then we didn't get anything but a little rain.
I did go out and look, and my freshly laid french drain seems to be working fine. The ground is dry, and there was a small stream of water exiting the discharge pipe. Then this morning I found a puddle in the shop about 1 1/2 sq ft.:mad: Couldn't see anything wet on the ceiling, so I have no idea where it came from. The van wasn't wet when I put it in the shop. It never ends. Jim.

Jim O'Dell
05-04-2008, 6:11 PM
Thought I'd give an update. I had to work a half day yesterday, but I got to spend the rest of the day in the shop...or outside the shop. I finished the patch in the sidewalk going to the shop. This is a picture of how it looked after I chopped it up to get the water to drain a year ago New Years Eve. 87764 And this is how it looks afterward. (I still need to get rid of the chunks of concrete!) 87765 It's rougher than I wanted, and I didn't have quite enough concrete mix. But I didn't feel like taking 45 minutes to run to town to get another bag. I'll skim coat it with something that will cure a little smoother.
After I got that going, I laid out all the parts for the Bies fence from the Lowes blow out, and started marking and cutting to fit. I moved it where there is nothing to the left side of the blade. I ended up with 48" (If I fudge a little) to the right. 87766 Not quite as much as I had with the stock Ridgid fence moved to the right. But it should do. I can cut up to 60" to the left before I hit obstructions. I need to make a new extension table now. My old one was cupped. So I put the short Biese extension table at the end so the legs will support it, which leaves a gap in the middle for now. I did run into a problem with the "open grid" Ridgid wings in that the pad on the bottom of the fence didn't hit solid CI moving across, allowing the fence to drop and have to climb up on the next ridge. So I pulled one pad off, redrilled holes and mounted it to run on the back sction. 87767 Worked great, until I hit that open spot in the table. Took a scrap piece of 5/8" MDF, and laminated one edge, then bolted it into place as a bridge. 87768 Now I have smooth operation across the entire length.
All in all a very satisfying weekend of work. Felt more like play!! Oh and I mowed the yard today! LOML was happy. ;) Now I get to help her groom one of the rescue dogs. This may be a challenge! Jim.

Jim O'Dell
05-10-2008, 8:20 PM
Quick little DC duct work for a Saturday afternoon. Actually, I pulled the TS down tube apart last night, and put the 6-6-4 wye at the ceiling instead of after the 45 el as shown in this before picture: 88219 This is how it looked at the floor level before: 88220 I picked up another 6-6-6 wye on the way home from the dog show today. And this is what it looks like afterward: 88222This was needed to build a hood for the RAS in it's new home in the shop.
And just because I noticed that I failed to get a picture last weekend that actually showed the fence on the saw, here is is: 88221
Another dog show tomorrow, my parents are coming down to watch, then we will take them out to eat for a combination Mother's Day/early Father's Day meal celebration. Then back home to mow the yard. Gas jumped 14 cents a gallon from last night to this afternoon. :( I need a fill up, and I need gas for the lawn mower, wouldn't you know. Have a great Mother's day!! Jim.

Jim O'Dell
05-31-2008, 9:11 PM
Well, here's the next step in the shop fixtures. I mentioned 3 weeks ago that I would need to build a new extension table for the Biese fence. I started that 2 weeks ago, and built a new outfeed table at the same time...both torsion boxes. Both are finished, but I need some 2" lockable casters for the 26 X 50 metal cart the previous owner left here. It has 2 different types of casters on it now, and they are different heights.
I got the extension table mounted today. 89724 Worked out very nicely. I bought some knife-thread inserts and used the factory Biese screws. Works nice and smooth!
Here are 2 pictures of the outfeed table. 8972589726 You'll notice the overhing on the right in the first picture. Since this will double as my assembly table for a while, I wanted something I could clamp on. Probably should have made an overhang on both sides. And since this will eventually be an dedicated outfeed table that won't be in line of the blade, I won't cut slots for the miter gauge and sled to go into when extended beyond the saw top. But I will use the short Biese fence as a dedicated outfeed with slots for now. I'm still working on how to get it mounted to the back of the saw, and how to brace it to keep it from breaking off! :eek: Hopefully tomorrow I'll figure that out.
Hope you are having a great weekend. It's hot here. Thank goodness for the trees that shade the shop most of the day! Jim.

Jim O'Dell
08-23-2008, 11:24 PM
Well, the Coolmeadow shop hasn't been very cool this summer:rolleyes:, so I haven't spent much time out there. Part days on the weekends, for the most part. About 4 weeks ago, I did start the latest mobile cart for my multipurpose bench. The planer I bought, what, 3 years ago :eek: :o on sale at Lowes, needed a home in the shop, and out of the house. So I used some left over header material for the base, and got some 2X6 for the uprights, with 2X4 for the upper frame, and MDF for the top. The top and upper frame are covered with laminate to match the bench. Had a heck of a time getting the Herc-U-Lift mounted on this one. The inside of the base is smaller than the other one, and I had to cut 4 pieces of the steel tubing to make it fit. But it did. I also fought getting the planer level to the bench, and then the planer in and out feed tables level to the bench. I'll eventually take those off and build some MDF tables to fit and laminate them to match, just like I did on the SCMS mobile cart.
And the proof: 9538395384

Hopefully the temps will start to drop some more. I need to spend a day cleaning the shop again. I have some changes to make on my dust collection point for the multipurpose bench, mainly for the hook up to the planer. The cranks are on the wrong side for how I wanted to mount it. :( So my future dust hood exits the wrong side. So much for prior planning. :rolleyes:
Thanks for looking in! Jim.

Kelly C. Hanna
08-23-2008, 11:53 PM
Very nice planer setup Jim! I like the Herculift idea.

I feel your pain...my little shop isn't AC equipped either!

John Keeton
08-24-2008, 6:58 AM
I'm really likin' the designer touches with the color coordinated paint/laminate - right off HGTV!! The shop is really coming along. I have enjoyed watching the journey.

Jim O'Dell
05-24-2009, 7:17 PM
Well, it's been a while since I've updated anything here. It's not because I've been busy in the shop. :( I've done a few small things like the Corian ZCI, and I cleaned surface rust off all the cast iron and fence tube yesterday. Those surfaces look much better now.
It has rained a lot on the weekends lately. Certainly not conducive to working on vapor barrier and insulation that I should already have finished. Working under a huge sheet of plastic in the heat and humidity is not my idea of fun, so I haven't done it.
I've used some time this weekend thinking of what will have to change if/when I'm able to get the cabinet saw. So I've spent the time around the afternoon baseball games for the Silver Boot Trophy playing with the changes that will have to be made. Lots of changes in the DC of course, but I won't have to start completely over, thank goodness. Just some major tweaking.
Here's a floor plan I'm thinking about. 119143 The grinder in the upper left corner will probably have to find a new home, but it's small enough that it can go just about anywhere. The 8" jointer in the bottom right is a future thing. Doesn't exist yet except in my dreams. It will be mobile so it can be pulled out from the wall to the door opening so longer boards can actually be used on it. :cool: This floor plan will allow me to push the BS against the wall from it's current location, and move the TS setup further into the middle of the shop, and therefore actually give me more walk around room than I have now on the sides of the single TS.
But let me know if you see something that you don't think will work. I've spent a lot of time thinking about this, but it doesn't mean I've thought of everything. Jim.

Jim O'Dell
12-20-2009, 7:20 PM
Well, I'm reviving this old thread to go along with the watch party for my new cabinet saw.:rolleyes: :D:D
I'll be keeping the Ridgid contractor saw. Not real sure why, but it will give me plenty of outfeed space behind the new saw, when coupled with the existing outfeed table. I have finished most of the ducting revision. I will work some next weekend on getting the current saw hooked back up, but probably won't worry with the overhead guard/pick up. It will have to move to the new saw when it arrives anyway. I am going to follow the floor plan I showed in the post before this one, except the contractor saw will flip and be on the right side, off the extension table, of the new saw. The grinder and the BS have already been moved, and the piping to the BS is complete, and a lot more sturdy that it was previously where it dropped down in open space. I took out the original drop to the TS and placed straight pipe there, so now I have about 9' of straight pipe heading into the cyclone. Wish I could have taken out the old, and put in one solid piece instead of using a splice, but I wasn't going to take down the ceiling to do it. Believe me, I'd rather knock the building down and start over!! :)
I was able to turn the factory dust chute on the saw to the side. I will have to add something to seal it off as the size wasn't quite square, but close. Possibly a piece of wood inside, and some of the aluminum HVAC duct tape on the outside. Started hooking up my blast gate at the ceiling so I can easily disconnect to move things out of the way for my van to pull in if need be, and looked at it, hit my head with a Homer Simpson "DOH" and took it back down. I need to be able to have a blast gate at each of the table saws, not one that works both. Got the small one hooked up under the contractor saw. Will be easy to open and close from the front of the saw.
I may have fun getting the piping to the new saw...guess we'll find out when it arrives! Next in the shop, after getting the current saw's dust collection hooked back up, will be finishing the piping to the west wall, and building a hood that will collect from the back of the SCMS and the RAS. Yeah, that's right...one hood that will work for both. I might not get much light in from the box bay window though. :D Jim.

Steve Clardy
12-20-2009, 7:50 PM
Yea. Put a dado head on that Ridgid.
I did that with my old Rockwell/Delta after I got my grizzly.

Randal Stevenson
12-21-2009, 2:04 AM
Dado blade, high tooth blade (since no guard) for a crosscut sled, or an old blade for when you have to work with questionable wood (hopefully never).

Jim O'Dell
03-11-2010, 8:12 PM
Well, I've been busy making a mobile base for the new saw...and waiting and waiting for the weather to cooperate to paint. Got that done 3 weeks ago, another 2 weeks for the paint to cure, then last weekend got sick and didn't get it together. This weekend for sure. Sat afternoon after work before I couldn't do any more, I cut out the hole in the dust collection door on the saw to accept the 6" ducting. So tonight I put it together. It's not sealed up yet, and the blast gate's input will probably have to be cut a little shorter. But here it is.144850

Fellow owners of this saw might notice that the sloped dust floor is higher than normal. I raised the end by the dust door about 1/2', and the end by the motor opening up about 7/8". You can see the black spacer under the washer at the dust door end. I need a slightly shorter screw, so used the spacer to take up the extra room until I can go back to Ace to get the right length. Then I need to get something to seal around the edge of the dust ramp.
I'll post pictures in my mobile base thread this weekend when I get the saw on it. And I'll post a finished picture here too. Thanks for looking in! Jim.

Jim O'Dell
03-18-2010, 8:19 PM
Well, this is my second day of vacation. Went to see my parents yesterday. Looked at the old folks village they are thinking about moving to. :D Nice place. Well kept. Brought back another riding mower. That makes 3 hand me down mowers from my Dad. I had to put the battery from one of the others in to get it started. Lots of work getting the mower deck lubed up where it would work. On and off about 8 times. I was really getting frustrated.
Burned some of the brush that had collected over the past few months. Been needing to do that for months. Then I got some time in the shop!!! I had alluded to a possible problem in the new saw on another thread. Couldn't understand why it seemed to bog down cutting 3/4" ply. :confused: So I took the throat place off, turned it on with out the cyclone and ear muffs, and I heard a light rattle until it got to about 1/2 speed powering up. And heard it again at the end of the power down. Listened to it twice, then it hit me...I did the same thing as another G0690/1 owner here did. I put the blade washer on backwards!!!! Don't remember who found that problem before, but doubt that I would have found it near as fast without remembering that thread!! So, thank you! And you can remain nameless. ;)
With that out of the way, I redid the ducting above the multipurpose bench. I'm pleased with how it came out. The left side went through the cabinet before. 145487 I finally realized that having the pipe run through each of the mobile tools that I'm going to plug in there was not a good idea. Especially when the RAS is on a solid metal base cabinet!! :rolleyes: So I re-plumbed to bring it to the box bay window opening, and I'll use the 6" for the duct shroud I'll build to work with the RAS and the SCMS. The 4" leg to the right will be for the planer. 145488 I'll still attach a short piece of 4" PVC to drop on down from here, then 2 45s and flex to the planer.
And here are the pictures of the saw that I promised in the last post. Little late. :o 145489145490
Now to get supper, then relax in a hot bath! I've got 2 fence poles to dig out and replace tomorrow!!! :( Jim.

Kelly C. Hanna
03-19-2010, 12:04 AM
Nice setup Jim. Had to check in on your thread, the shop is coming along very nicely. I like the TS dust port mod....and congrats on the new cabinet saw!

Steve Clardy
03-27-2010, 2:16 PM
Very nice Jim. Shop is looking up!!

Terry Hatfield
03-27-2010, 5:19 PM
Very nice Jim. Shop is looking up!!

You still alive? Missed seing you at the KC wwing show.

Steve Clardy
03-27-2010, 5:27 PM
You still alive? Missed seing you at the KC wwing show.

Yep. Still breathing!!

Hated to miss the show but work interfered.
First show I've missed in 18 or so years.

Hey I've been in or going through Springdale several times lately. I'll pm ya for your phone number.

Jim O'Dell
04-11-2010, 2:51 PM
One more part down for the new saw. I started this two weekends ago Got all the pieces cut out the first Sunday (was out of town all day Sat before). Holes drilled and tapped and dry fitted last Saturday. Sunday I took it a part and re-assembled with silicone to seal off the joints. Started the blast gate for it during the week. Finished it this morning and mounted it at the ceiling.
147911147912147913Works like a charm! The sandwich parts of the gate, and the sides of the pick up, are 3/8" plexiglass scrap that was here when we bought the house. The slide of the gate, and the top of the pick up is PTEG scraps I got from Ed at Clear Vue. The DC hook up is a 4 X 3 to 4" round adapter for gutter down spout to 4" S&D PVC. Perfect match. Make the 4" part set wide, and the plexi butts up against it. That sets the width of the pick up where it straddles the throat plate on the saw and rests on the CI top. I ran a piece of the UHMW tape on the bottom edges and it slides up and over wood and my Smart Miter very nicely! I made this one longer to angle the snout so it would go over the Smart Miter. The original one on the other saw hit the miter bar and stopped everything.
So that part is now done. I got the Smart Miter reset for the new saw...miter part lacks about 1/4" reaching the blade properly. I've used all of the adjustment there is...The slot just needs to be a little longer. I'll contact JointTech and see what the answer is. They are really great people to work with.
Time for lunch and watch the Ranger game. Jim.

Jim O'Dell
05-02-2010, 9:19 PM
I started this last weekend and made a bad cut where the duct goes through the cabinet (on the lower left). I actually put the unit in backwards, marked it, and cut it without realizing what I had done! :o Here it is with the new piece cut out and attached and with the drawer slides mounted. 149740 Looks are not deceiving, it is shallower at the bottom than the top. I was limited by my mobility design as to how deep it could be at the bottom, but I knew I needed the top shelf to be much deeper to hold my Jointech Smart Miter.
The base section has multiple runners attached to it for the mobility blocks to rest on. 149741 They will store upside down, and the runners allow the bolt heads to not scratch the bottom. After painting and allowing a month or 2 to completely dry, I'll put some slick tape on the runners. The 2 drawers are sitting back to back beyond the bottom section, and the door to hide the mobility blocks is just beyond that.
Now to put a coat of Kilz on it all, then the top coat. I took my motor door with me yesterday and got a quart of paint matched to it. In the store, I thought it was too dark, and probably is just a smidgen. But the test over the white Kilz makes for almost a perfect match.
I'll try to do some painting during the week as I had to knock off about 5:30 to drive over to Grand Prairie (almost to Dallas) to get a headboard for the guest room bed with my wife. Now I need to take time to bolt it to the frame. Probably not tonight!!
Hope everyone had a good weekend! Jim.

Kelly C. Hanna
05-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Wow...love that overarm blade guard system...I long to have one of those someday. I had a pretty good weekend....snagged a Delta tabletop router/shaper for $50.

Nice cabinet work on that addition to the TS!

Jim O'Dell
05-15-2010, 9:02 PM
That sounds like a great find Kelly! How is it working for you?

Well, I finished painting last weekend, and got the cab part installed. Finished the drawers after work this week, then tweaked them to fit properly today. 150831 I need to do some touch ups. And the fit isn't perfect, but it works. I need to get some of the toolbox liner material to put in the drawers. Drawers have 2 coats of water based poly on all surfaces. 150833 150834 The bottom door just pops into place and is held there by 2 magnetic catches. 150835 Works better than I thought it would. When my pivot system didn't work for the bottom, I figured I'd need 2 more of the catches, but I think not at this time.
The drawer pulls match the ones on the router table doors/drawers. Only these are painted green to match the green on the base. :rolleyes: The body color of the cabinet was matched to the motor cover on the saw, but isn't that close. She kept adding to the original mix, and it looked very close wet. But after 2 coats and decent drying, it looks a lot grayer than the saw. But it will do fine. The runners for the casters to slide in on have pieces of PTEG on top of them so that the paint won't get scratched off. Wish I had a big piece for the top shelf for the Smart Miter to sit on. 150832I'll have to look for something to put up there.
I still need to get some 1/4" for the back, so it's not totally finished yet. I might add some ply to block off the ducting from the casters, as that will be hard to cut the 1/4" ply to fit around. Bocking that off would also give me a small spot to be able to store something. We'll see.
Hope you are having a great weekend! Jim.

Kelly C. Hanna
05-16-2010, 11:24 AM
So far so good Jim!

One of these days I need to get over your way to see the shop....sure is looking nice.

Jim O'Dell
05-16-2010, 5:19 PM
Thanks Kelly. And as I've said before, I'd love for you to come by for a visit. But I know how life is. I've been wanting to get together with Bill Huber at one of our shops for some time now. And we both live in Ft. Worth! Only time we've been face to face was in Arlington when Ken Fitzgerald was in the area and 5 of us got together for lunch and some quality time at Rockler.:D Jim.

Kelly C. Hanna
05-20-2010, 7:07 AM
I remember and it's on my list. Going to be over there on Saturday the 11 of July to get my truck computer tuned. Maybe we can get together after that. Should be around 11:30-12n.

Van Huskey
05-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the update I really like the cabinet.

Jim O'Dell
05-21-2010, 9:03 AM
Thanks Van.
Kelly, that isn't my Saturday to work, so I should be at the house. Remind me a week or so before. Where are you getting the truck computer worked on? Jim.

Steve Clardy
05-21-2010, 10:10 AM
Lookin great Jim. :D

David Hostetler
05-21-2010, 4:03 PM
Wow. Two things...

First it looks fantastic.

Second. Are you ever going to be done with this? And I know the answer is no. No shop is ever truly done until the shop owner is pushing up daisies...

Jim O'Dell
05-21-2010, 5:09 PM
Thanks guys. David, you should hear how my wife asks that question!!! :eek: Jim.

Bruce Page
05-21-2010, 6:22 PM
Wow. Two things...

First it looks fantastic.

Second. Are you ever going to be done with this? And I know the answer is no. No shop is ever truly done until the shop owner is pushing up daisies...

The Creek was only a year and a half old when he started this thread. :D
Looking good Jim!

David Hostetler
05-21-2010, 8:36 PM
Thanks guys. David, you should hear how my wife asks that question!!! :eek: Jim.

I can imagine... Just smile and let her know you will be done with that, when she is done with (insert shoes, purses, fancy cookware whatever she is into here...). Um... Find a nice way to say that though... I don't want to start any marital spats....

Jim O'Dell
05-21-2010, 10:48 PM
The Creek was only a year and a half old when he started this thread. :D
Looking good Jim!

Now that's scary!!:D I guess when I get finished, I'll end the thread. :rolleyes: ;)
This is what happens when you have a dream, but limited funds and work by yourself. I'll quote my third sentence of the first post in this thread: Note that this will be a very slow process!! And it has been!! :D:D:D
Jim.

Bruce Page
05-21-2010, 11:00 PM
Keep ‘em coming Jim. We’ve enjoyed the journey.

Jim O'Dell
05-23-2010, 2:36 PM
Had planned to start the extension table replacement for the new saw this weekend, and build a hatch type door to start finishing the enclosure for the cyclone closet. One out of two's not bad. :rolleyes: Got the basic structure of the table built yesterday. It's nice and flat! Then the LOML found some retaining wall blocks we could use on CL. Went to get them and they are the real small ones, not the 8X12x4 that he said they were. That shot 2 hours this am. So I'm not sure if I'll get the hatch door started or not. We'll see.
These two pictures show the cuts and the internal webbing dry fitted.151320151321 The next two are during the gluing and fastening session. 151322151323
I've got some of the brads to pull out that went sideways. I'll do some Bondo work on the holes from the nails, then final sanding next weekend. It might be a couple weeks before there is enough money in the shop fund to get a sheet of laminate. I also need to order a chamfer bit to do what I want on the front edge.
Now for lunch, and I still need to mow! :( Jim.

Jim O'Dell
06-12-2010, 11:09 PM
OK, here's where I am on the extension. I got sidetracked last weekend with a tree that started coming down in the back yard. I cut as much off and up as I could, but had to wait for the power company to come take the service line to the shop down (separate service from the house) so I could drop the rest of the tree. They did that Monday, and I dropped the tree Monday and Tuesday nights. It's still all over the back yard and will be for a while. 153170 This tree was a good 45' to the tips. (Bradford Pear)
So that's why I'm just now getting this laminated. I put it in place to check some things and get it basically level. I'm trying to decide if I want to drill the end of the cast iron wing to help hold it in place/snug the table up to the extension. 153159 153160 Did I show the slots that were routed into the sides of the cabinet in an earlier picture? This is what they were for. 153161 Gives 2 wide adjustable shoulders for the table to sit on. Then it will attach to the front angle iron and rear rail. I still need a chamfer router bit to mimic the angle of the front of the angle iron, and seal the exposed Oak that is on that edge, and the bottom and side to the table with some poly. Might use some Waterlox on the Oak. I still need to measure the angle, but I think it's 30 degrees. I'll have to route from the edge side though. That bothers me a little. Not sure I want to try it up on edge on the router table. :eek: But if I bury the bit into the fence, if the top moves it just won't cut at all, instead of cutting too deep. Might just have to make a jig for the router and do it on the cut off table. We'll see.
I used the little Hitachi fixed base router that was a rebate with the 10" slider to flush cut the edges of the laminate this time instead of the PC plunge router. Much easier to handle. That's a nice little router!
Doubt I'll get much else done this weekend. Oh, I did build the hatch door for the cyclone closet overhang. Got some slide latches today so I can secure it up and out of the way. Hope you all are having a great weekend in the shop! Jim.

Jim O'Dell
07-17-2010, 1:22 PM
Well, my idea with the slots to adjust and hold the extension top was a good idea...they just wouldn't work properly. I had to add two pieces of 2X below it, one on each side of the cabinet, each with two t-nuts, one on each end, and a bolt that pushes against the original piece shown above. Once adjusted, then I lock the knobs down and it holds very well. 156057

So while I was adding the extension table to the saw, I decided I might as well go ahead and move the fence down. 156058156059156060156061 It is supposed to be a 50" factory rip, but the most I felt safe with was a little over 49. I now have almost a full 65". I've never used a fence to the left of the blade, and just don't understand needing to. So now that is leveled out and attached. The blade is set to the left miter slot. (Thanks for the loan of the Master Plate Bill Huber!) and I think I have the fence adjusted, also to the left miter slot. I see that I will need to replace my fence face now, or at least do some adjusting. It varies close to a total of 0.1 down the entire length. Lots of peaks and valleys along the way. It will probably do fine, but If I'm going to the trouble of making it right, I might as well make it right.;) But I can play with that as I go. I might pull the face off this afternoon and see what the steel looks like and measures out without the face and go from there. Hope you are having a great weekend! Jim.

Joe Wiliams
07-17-2010, 1:50 PM
Lookin' great Jim!

Bruce Seidner
07-21-2010, 5:12 PM
Jim,

what is the dark laminate you have built your TS extension top out of? And, where did you get it? I would appreciate the information and likely did not need to start a separate thread had I seen this first.

Jim O'Dell
07-22-2010, 7:24 PM
It's just black laminate...I'm thinking WilsonArt. I get this at the Home Depot in Arlington TX. The 5 or 6 closer stores to me don't carry it. Several of the Lowe's here do, but not in black. The green on the wall is also from a Home Depot that was closing out all their laminate. They had about 20 sheets of this, and I should have bought more. It was 1/2 price. The black runs 42.00 for a 4 X 8 sheet. Jim.

Jim O'Dell
10-10-2010, 7:54 PM
Sure is nice that the weather is cooling down some. I've gotten a little work done in the shop the last 2 weekends. I'm a little over half way done with the wall covering in the finishing room. The ceiling, and what amounts to the 2 12' walls are done, with the 2 14' walls left to go. It's not quite that specific, but that's about what the square footage would add up to. I took 4 pictures, but not a single one was usable. :confused: I guess there is too much stuff in the way in the foreground for the walls to be in focus. I've basically moved stuff around so I have enough room to work on one wall, then move some more to get to the next. ;)
I have to work next week, and it went from 4 1/2 hrs once every7 weeks to 6 1/2 hours once every 3 weeks. When the sales managers get to have a say about service, they always screw it up!!! :( So I don't know if I'll get to go after any more OSB or have time in the shop or not. LOML has her first Chemo treatment on Thursday, so we'll have to see how it goes for her. Jim.

Rick Potter
10-11-2010, 9:30 PM
Great job, Jim.

I especially like the drawer unit and laminate table setup.

Rick Potter

PS: The fence to the left of the blade is basically for those of us with right tilt saws.

`

Kelly C. Hanna
10-22-2010, 2:09 PM
Jim,

All the best to your wife, hope she beats the monster quickly!

I have to work next week, and it went from 4 1/2 hrs once every7 weeks to 6 1/2 hours once every 3 weeks.

I don't quite understand this part, but at face value that schedule sounds like a dream!

Jim O'Dell
10-22-2010, 7:14 PM
Kelly, that is on top of the 50 hours a week we already work, and is our Saturday off. It just means that that week, we miss a day off. And because of the change in schedule, we now miss twice as many days off, and longer hours. NOW, that may still be a dream for someone like you that has your own business, and works 6 or 7 days a week and 80 to 100 hours. But it cuts into my limited shop time! :p Jim.

David Helm
10-23-2010, 12:45 PM
Hi Jim, Hope the chemo is going well. Sounds to me like you're working way too much. Slow down and smell the coffee (or at least drink it)!

Kelly C. Hanna
10-23-2010, 8:50 PM
Kelly, that is on top of the 50 hours a week we already work, and is our Saturday off. It just means that that week, we miss a day off. And because of the change in schedule, we now miss twice as many days off, and longer hours. NOW, that may still be a dream for someone like you that has your own business, and works 6 or 7 days a week and 80 to 100 hours. But it cuts into my limited shop time! :p Jim.

Yeah...still a dream!! Cutting shop time isn't cool!