PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone Contacts

Peter Stahl
07-14-2010, 7:11 AM
Anyone use software on their PC that will let them move the Contacts on their cell phone to the PC. What do the phone stores use?

Curt Harms
07-14-2010, 7:58 AM
I don't know about other brands, but Samsung has a free app to upload, download & edit contacts. It can also be used for music, ringtones etc. Perhaps check your manufacturer's web site. You'll likely need a proprietary cable unless you have a newer phone that uses mini or micro USB.

Peter Stahl
07-14-2010, 8:35 AM
Thanks Curt. I have a LG so I'll look and see.

Lee Schierer
07-14-2010, 2:45 PM
My Motorola Q phone (company owned) syncs with MS Outlook using a program called active sync. It works well.

Peter Stahl
07-14-2010, 3:20 PM
My Motorola Q phone (company owned) syncs with MS Outlook using a program called active sync. It works well.

Lee, Mine is just a regular phone. In order to use active sync it has to be more of a smart phone, mine isn't very smart.:(

Peter Stahl
07-18-2010, 6:49 AM
Still don't know why there aren't more of these programs out there but I found one called bitpim and works ok. Surprising each manufacturer doesn't there own program sinular itunes so you can edit/backup data on your phone data/files. Maybe I'm too old fashioned because I grew up where the phone was screwed to the wall in the kitchen, lol.

John Keeton
07-18-2010, 6:55 AM
Peter, I have been looking recently at sim card readers. Haven't purchased one yet, but it looks like that will do what you want. You pull the sim card, put it in the reader, plug into a USB port, and download. I am not yet sure of whether the reader comes with software.

Just another thought. I haven't done much research on this yet, but we have "old fashion" cell phones, and I, too, would like to back up my contacts.

Peter Stahl
07-18-2010, 7:39 AM
Peter, I have been looking recently at sim card readers. Haven't purchased one yet, but it looks like that will do what you want. You pull the sim card, put it in the reader, plug into a USB port, and download. I am not yet sure of whether the reader comes with software.

Just another thought. I haven't done much research on this yet, but we have "old fashion" cell phones, and I, too, would like to back up my contacts.

John,

No SIM card, I'm on Verizon. Wish they all standardized the SIM usage and make it so you can use any phone on any network. They all like to have their own little monopoly, but then I guess AT&T wouldn't have as many customers if everyone could get a iPhone.

Jack Wilson
07-18-2010, 8:43 AM
Hello Peter, I have an LG as well, I use a free program called "bitpim" located at bitpim.org. It works for me!

Randy Klein
07-18-2010, 8:50 AM
Verizon lets you sync your contacts to their website, manipulate those contacts on the website, and sync back to your phone. Very useful when upgrading or changing phones.

Peter Stahl
07-18-2010, 9:31 AM
Hello Peter, I have an LG as well, I use a free program called "bitpim" located at bitpim.org. It works for me!

Thanks Jack, found that (see above post) and it does work well. Still testing it out but it does seem to be pretty easy to use.

Peter Stahl
07-18-2010, 9:32 AM
Verizon lets you sync your contacts to their website, manipulate those contacts on the website, and sync back to your phone. Very useful when upgrading or changing phones.

Randy, I did know this was free now. I know they used to charge a monthly fee for this, thanks for the info.

Bryan Morgan
07-18-2010, 7:05 PM
Anyone use software on their PC that will let them move the Contacts on their cell phone to the PC. What do the phone stores use?

If you have a gmail account just sync your phone and PC with it.

Peter Stahl
07-18-2010, 7:26 PM
If you have a gmail account just sync your phone and PC with it.

How do you do that Bryan? I don't think my laptop has Bluetooth either.

Brian Elfert
07-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Verizon has an app for their phones that will back up contacts nightly to Verizon's servers, but it is $1.99 a month. My employer does enough business with Verizon that it is free for us.

Only GSM phones have SIM cards. Verizon uses CDMA technology for their phones so they don't have SIM cards. I wish every carrier just used the same technology for better roaming.

Bryan Morgan
07-19-2010, 1:26 AM
How do you do that Bryan? I don't think my laptop has Bluetooth either.

What OS does your phone run? There should be a Google apps program for it. If not, you can use gmail like an Exchange server and set your phone to use it. Then do the same with your Outlook.

http://www.google.com/mobile/