PDA

View Full Version : 1st actual bowl

Michael James
07-13-2010, 11:59 PM
I know..terrible pictures. the satinwood was reflecting light all over the place, but hopefully you can see the basic shape and foot(less).
5w x 2.5h Light BLO, rubbed and waxed.. It's kind of heavy because it's thick - I didnt go too far into the widest part.
Looking forward to gettting alot more done after next week and everything settles down. I will set up a little photo box too!:rolleyes:

camera phone..doesnt do the wood justice for sure. Luckily there is a nice digital camera somewhere around the house. I'll hire lil missie to do the photo sessions in the future!

Donny Lawson
07-14-2010, 6:19 AM
I've never turned any satinwood but it looks like it has some vrey nice designs to it.Nice first bowl.
Donny

John Keeton
07-14-2010, 6:53 AM
Good work, Michael! The wood looks to be very nice, and a good job on the finishing, too.

One tip on the pics - it looks like you are out of focus. If you camera has a macro setting, you might want to try that. Or, back up a bit, and then use some editing software to crop the pics.

Harlan Coverdale
07-14-2010, 7:07 AM
Good job for a first. I see hollow forms in your future. It's surprising how many people turn closed forms for their first bowls, myself included.

Nate Davey
07-14-2010, 8:08 AM
Wow, Nice job great looking bowl and beautiful wood.

bob svoboda
07-14-2010, 10:02 AM
Very nice first bowl. Be sure to sign and date it and keep it to compare with your future work.

Steve Schlumpf
07-14-2010, 10:14 AM
That's a pretty cool hollow form! Interesting - contemporary form! Great looking wood!

Looking forward to seeing your next turning!

Bernie Weishapl
07-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Really nice piece Michael. The wood is some pretty stuff.

charlie knighton
07-14-2010, 10:46 AM
very nice....

Thomas Canfield
07-14-2010, 9:57 PM
Very nice 1st bowl. It looks like you got it all together and a lot more details than usual for 1st. Sanding and finish also look very good. You wlll have a lot to live up to to keep improving.

Allen Neighbors
07-14-2010, 11:10 PM
Looks much better than my first one, and that's for sure! Some nice wood... really interesting shape... You may be a hollow form junkie before long... :D
Something that I used to do when I was starting to hollow under shoulders like that... I'd hollow down inside an inch or so, then I'd make a cut from the opening outward, under the shoulder. Then I'd clear the chips, then measure the thickness. Then another cut, then clear, then measure... took me forever to finally get it as thin as I wanted it, but I didn't go through the wall, by just guessing at it, either.
Once you get the first inch as thin as you want it, then go another inch deeper, and do it again. Keep going, and sooner or later, you'll have one that's not heavy. I often wonder how David Ellsworth was, when he first started all this hollowform stuff....
You'll be fine. And you're doing good; keep it up! :)

Michael James
07-15-2010, 12:16 AM
Technically, I should have said that was my 1st hollow form. I did make a little walnut bowl about 6 weeks ago. As stated before Im not new to wood work, in fact manned a beltsander/finishsander in a butcherblock furniture shop, pine and oak, a lifetime ago.... so finishing has always been the most fun for me.....until the lathe. Im absorbing information as fast as I can, and know that I just need to get out there and stick some sharp metal in some wood.!:cool:
The kindness, generosity, willingness to help and above all, perhaps, a few good laughs is the kind of comraderie that makes "y'all' so endearing that I just cant stay away.
I think hollow forms is where I want to go, but not exactly sure how that will play out. There is a lot of really GREAT work to try to emulate here.
mj

David E Keller
07-15-2010, 8:11 AM
You did a great job with that one. I like the form and the little rim detail. Beautiful wood as well.

Harvey Ghesser
07-15-2010, 10:17 AM
Nice work, Michael! And a great first bowl!:D

Roland Martin
07-15-2010, 11:39 AM
A very well done "first". Once you master the photography a little more, it would be nice to show this again so we can see the form & grain better. I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot of your work in the future:)