PDA

View Full Version : Viewing Port for DC Bin

Hans Braul
07-13-2010, 9:14 PM
I recently overfilled my Oneida DC bin and spent the day cleaning out the filter and getting everything back the way it should be. Don't want to repeat the experience so I was wondering what people have done to be able to see how full they were. Has anyone cut a strip out of the bin and put in a clear plastic strip? Wondering if it would get so full of dust as to be useless.

Hans

Thomas Canfield
07-13-2010, 9:45 PM
I put a plexiglass viewing port on my just bin, but it does have a lot of dust accumulate. I used some Static Guard and still have dust. I am thinking about adding a tube to outside that I can use to blow air against the glass and clear it from time to time. A simple plug in the tube would suffice to hold the vacuum and blowing tube on air line used to blow it off. That sure sounds like a good plan - now to just do it.

Even with the static dust, it has helped prevent overfilling several times.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=48285

Alan Schaffter
07-13-2010, 9:50 PM
Since my dust bin is located where I can't see it, I designed and built a high dust alarm from big box store components. It works better than a window- you don't need to remember to look. I also wired it to turn off my DC. You can read about it and see some pics in this SMC thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=140207).

John Lanciani
07-14-2010, 6:43 AM
Here's what I did. Granted, it was much easier since my dust box has flat sides, bit the same thing would work on a round bin. I'd probably heat the plexiglass and form it to the correct arc so that it seals easier.

Myk Rian
07-14-2010, 7:29 AM
I recently overfilled my Oneida DC bin and spent the day cleaning out the filter and getting everything back the way it should be. Don't want to repeat the experience so I was wondering what people have done to be able to see how full they were. Has anyone cut a strip out of the bin and put in a clear plastic strip? Wondering if it would get so full of dust as to be useless.

Hans
Oneida has a dust bin alarm.
I can imagine the static collecting on a plastic window. Glass would probably work better.

Gary Radice
07-14-2010, 9:45 AM
I made a sensor similar to Alan's but using a garage door sensor pair linked to a flashing light. It has a 10 second delay so it doesn't fire when chips are going by, only if it is blocked for 10 seconds continuously. I used the plans from a thread in the NC woodworker site. Here is a link to a video of mine. Because of the way the digital video camera collects frames the blinking light looks funky but you'll get the idea.

http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc200/gradice_photos/OWWM/Dust%20collection/?action=view&current=MVI_0571.mp4

Jim Becker
07-15-2010, 9:39 AM
Yes, I did that years ago...there is probably a picture of mine somewhere here at SMC. I can't find the original to re-display it.

Rod Sheridan
07-15-2010, 11:17 AM
My Oneida has a piece of clear flex between the bin and the cyclone.

I just keep an eye on that.

One of these days I'll make a sensor and interlock it with the starter for the cyclone.

Regards, Rod.