PDA

View Full Version : Roasted Birch,

Thomas love
07-13-2010, 7:17 PM
Anyone ever used this material?

If so what are your opinions ? I purchased some based on looks, now upon further research I'm a little concerned about using it for a project. thanks,
tom

Henry Ambrose
07-13-2010, 8:23 PM
Could you tell more about exactly what you bought?

Peter Quinn
07-13-2010, 10:07 PM
It works fine, its a bit more brittle than regular birch and not quite as strong, it glues decent with titebond III, it needs a longer gluing time as it doesn't absorb moisture well, so it won't draw the water off and start kicking a PVA glue as quickly as regular wood. Epoxy and PL glues can also be used. I've seen a number of species roasted, and birch is the prettiest in my mind. I've made a few basic millwork items with it without issue. Stair treads, reducers, etc.

Thomas love
07-14-2010, 7:18 AM
Henry,

It called roasted birch, after some Internet searching I discovered that they take yellow birch or soft maple put it in a vacum and and dry it at approximately 400 degrees for 24 hours. This process yields a birch that has a consistent walnut color throughout the board.

tom

Thomas love
07-14-2010, 7:25 AM
Thanks Peter,

The material I purchased is 8/4, I am planning on using it for a trestle table base.
tom

Henry Ambrose
07-14-2010, 3:11 PM
I'm familiar with the process but I wondered exactly what you have. Generally this wood won't glue well with water based glues. I use West System epoxy.

george wilson
07-14-2010, 3:59 PM
I wonder how much brittleness is induced by the roasting? After all,toasted bread breaks pretty easily.

Henry Ambrose
07-15-2010, 3:18 PM
I wonder how much brittleness is induced by the roasting? After all,toasted bread breaks pretty easily.

By test reports from the producers the wood does become very slightly more brittle but not that much. IIRC, in structural use its not a lot different from unprocessed wood of the same species. As far as I know its not available in what I consider to be framing or structural sizes. There are no thermally processed large posts or timbers that I'm aware of. I think there may be a limit to the thickness that can be done - but I speculate on that.

In hands on use I find it to require some extra care in nailing. It makes very fine dust and might chip or splinter a bit more if your tools are not sharp. The yellow pine version might remind me a bit of working with heavy and harder redwood. It is very stable dimensionally. I've made several doors from it with great results.

Rick Markham
07-15-2010, 3:40 PM
I wanna see a picture of what it looks like! I know, I am terribly demanding...

Henry Ambrose
07-15-2010, 6:58 PM
I wanna see a picture of what it looks like! I know, I am terribly demanding...

The yellow pine looks like yellow pine that is the color of black walnut all the way through. (sorta)

Here are sources --

http://www.purewoodproducts.com/

http://www.radiancewood.com/

http://www.cambiawood.com/

Thomas love
07-16-2010, 6:56 AM
Rick I will post some later when I get up to the shop, As another said the birch dose look very nice.

Thomas love
07-16-2010, 8:33 AM
Here are some pics Rick