PDA

View Full Version : G0690 Riving Knife

Randy Klein
07-13-2010, 7:14 PM
I was looking through the manual for the Grizzly G0690 Table Saw and came across this pic:

Is that really what it looks like when the guard is on, specifically the large gap between blade and splitter?

Is the riving knife only used without the guard?

Any news on the 1023RL configuration of a riving knife?

scott spencer
07-13-2010, 7:25 PM
I'm not overly familiar with the G0690, but given that the fence in the pic is a Shop Fox Aluma Classic, I doubt that pic is actually of the G0690. That fence was featured on their former G0478 hybrid saw and G0444 contractor saw series but is not the stock fence on the G0690 AFAIK. Was the pic part of a safety "how to" example?

Randy Klein
07-13-2010, 7:43 PM
Yes, it was a section on ripping, which is why I asked the question. I'm assuming it's just a stock photo. However, I can't find any thing to the contrary in the rest of the manual.

glenn bradley
07-13-2010, 9:01 PM
From the website: http://cdn4.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg288/g/g0690_det8.jpg

Randy Klein
07-13-2010, 9:13 PM
If you look at this picture, there is a riving knife and then another splitter/riving knife with a guard attached. I can't tell if the guard configuration is a riving knife in the sense that it raises and lowers and bevels with the blade while maintaining a small and consistent distance from the blade.

I'm hoping some owners can reply and clarify this all.

http://cdn4.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg500/g/g0690_det7.jpg

Van Huskey
07-13-2010, 9:19 PM
If you look at this picture, there is a riving knife and then another splitter/riving knife with a guard attached. I can't tell if the guard configuration is a riving knife in the sense that it raises and lowers and bevels with the blade while maintaining a small and consistent distance from the blade.

I'm hoping some owners can reply and clarify this all.

http://cdn4.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg500/g/g0690_det7.jpg

There was another thread recently about this. The 690 is no different than most others including my PM2000. The one attached to the guard is a riving knife and fits all the "requirements" to be a riving knife, if notI assume it would not meet UL 987 but either way it is a riving knife and moves with the blade, I think the issue was some poor symantics in the new 690 manual. The other "low profile" riving knife is used for non-through cuts.

Randy Klein
07-13-2010, 9:25 PM
That's what I'm hoping is the case. I just can't find anything definitive.

Van Huskey
07-13-2010, 9:30 PM
That's what I'm hoping is the case. I just can't find anything definitive.

Look at it this way, both riving knives connect to the same place so the same mechanism moves them... You might search for the other thread there were some actual 690 users on there but rest assured both move with the blade.

Randy Klein
07-13-2010, 9:37 PM
Look at it this way, both riving knives connect to the same place so the same mechanism moves them... You might search for the other thread there were some actual 690 users on there but rest assured both move with the blade.

Good point, I didn't consider that. I'll look for that other thread.

Jim O'Dell
07-13-2010, 9:51 PM
I have the 691...They both move with the blade, up down and tilt. The curve of the knife part of the guard fits 1/8" away from the blade. (I just went and measured) Actually, not sure I've ever put it on the saw. But I did hold the riving knife (RK) against the guard, and it is the same curve in the same spot. I built an over head guard with dust pick up, so I'll never use the Grizzly supplied guard. In fact, I was thinking of having it cut down to the size of the RK and then ground to be an RK for a thin kerf blade so I could also use my Forrest WWII 30 tooth to better rip with. Just not sure where to go to do it or how much it would cost to have it done.
So, not sure about the first picture you showed, Randy. But I bet they did a rough draft of the manual and put in some stock pictures, and either never changed them out for real pictures of the same cut on a 690/1, or they never meant them to be specific to this saw, just illustration. Jim.

Randy Klein
07-13-2010, 9:59 PM
Thanks Jim, just what I was looking for.

Kevin Begos
07-13-2010, 9:59 PM
I have the 690.
Both the riving knife and the splitter move with the blade.

Very easy to change between the two, btw.
I like that about the saw.

Van Huskey
07-14-2010, 1:53 AM
I have the 690.
Both the riving knife and the splitter move with the blade.

Very easy to change between the two, btw.
I like that about the saw.

Just for reference they are both riving knives. One could make an argument that all riving knives are splitters but all splitters are not riving knives. I think some of the confusion comes from people (and I think the manual at points) calling the high profile riving knive simply a splitter, it is more accurately called a riving knife and when it is simply called a splitter people then question whether it is a riving knife or a simple splitter.

Curt Harms
07-14-2010, 8:23 AM
Just for reference they are both riving knives. One could make an argument that all riving knives are splitters but all splitters are not riving knives. I think some of the confusion comes from people (and I think the manual at points) calling the high profile riving knive simply a splitter, it is more accurately called a riving knife and when it is simply called a splitter people then question whether it is a riving knife or a simple splitter.

That's it in a nutshell. it's a shame that no one so far has followed Electra-Beckum(?) in manufacturing a narrowish guard that attaches like the Grizzly "high" riving knife guard but has a 2.5" dust collection port. Some will say a 2.5" port is not big enough but with a narrow snug fitting guard it might be and wouldn't have too-heavy hose issues. Also with a narrower guard the fence could be closer to the blade without interference. It would just have to be rigid enough to not hit the blade :eek: while in use.