PDA

View Full Version : Opinion Needed

Liesl Dexheimer
07-13-2010, 6:36 PM
Just need a quick opinion on two things.

First, I'm pretty sure this is not possible but I'll ask anyway. Would CerMark work on 14K gold? I'm concerned that surface would be too shiny. This would be going on a small charm. I would also be concerned that it may rub off with wear.

Second, again...I'm pretty sure this is not possible. I have a customer who wants to have this laser engraved: http://swedausa.com/frontend/proddetail_new3.asp?pn=US500&co=10000715,10000708,10000713

Seeing as how it says brushed metal, I'm skeptical that this will work. I told the customer it would be best if it was anodized aluminum, also mentioned it would engrave a whitish color. The customer is going to bring one by tomorrow so I can physically see it as seeing is believing so to speak. This could be a job for CerMark but I don't think I want to paint 50 of these...

Dan Hintz
07-13-2010, 6:42 PM
GOLD: It's not easy, but gold can be done... your settings have to be spot on. That said, it's not a durable mark when it comes to jewelry cleaning solutions, and it will wipe off under those chemicals as if it was made with a black marker.

I would only do it if the piece was going to be stored under glass for display...

USB KEY: I question whether or not that is actually metal and not just aluminum colored plastic as most USB sticks are (have three of them like that on my desk right now).

Liesl Dexheimer
07-13-2010, 7:34 PM
Good point about the USB, I'll know better when the customer brings it in but I'm almost 99% sure it isn't laserable which I tried to tell my customer.

Joe Pelonio
07-13-2010, 8:44 PM
That USB says metal so it should really be metal. If it is, chances are it will have a clearcoat on it and I'd suggest trying one but warn them it might not work. When I have done such items I engrave one pass to get to the bare metal, then without moving it, apply the Cermark and run again.

As for the gold, I have done very tiny lettering on gold doll bracelets, and it worked fine, but as Dan said it has to be focused perfectly, I made a jig to hold them in place.

Doug Griffith
07-14-2010, 12:18 AM
I guess USB keys are so common these days they don't even need to mention the capacity. Hmmm.

Dan Hintz
07-14-2010, 5:50 AM
Doug,

The price list includes the various capacities at your disposal...

Bill Jermyn
07-14-2010, 5:57 AM
I'd sub the USB sticks out to a screen printer and take a markup.

Viktor Voroncov
07-14-2010, 8:50 AM
Special USB for lasering :)

Bill Cunningham
07-15-2010, 8:06 PM
Most of those USB's are pad printed for a few pennies each.. Unless their stainless, I won't even bother with them in any quantity.