PDA

View Full Version : Another Lesson learned?

Josh Bowman
07-13-2010, 6:30 PM
I'm still working down my little pile of spaulted maple, a few days ago, I chucked up a piece and roughed it down. Then my wife put me to work on a kitchen remodel of hers:( Today I stole a little time to go out and turn and noted the blank had lots of cracks. I've done WW long enough to know why, my question is can the blank continue to be turned if for no other reason than for practice? Or will this give my local ER intern practice?:o

Steve Schlumpf
07-13-2010, 6:34 PM
Josh - if it were me, I'd toss it just to be safe! Next time you are called away for higher priority duties - just cover the turning in a plastic bag and it will keep the turning from drying out to fast.

Hope the kitchen remodel went well!

Karl Card
07-13-2010, 6:35 PM
on the safety side id say it would just blow up into oblivian....

on the other side of the coin "if it were me" id fill the crack with ca and then turn the hell out of it...show it whose boss, at least until it comes apart...lol

David DeCristoforo
07-13-2010, 6:38 PM
You could become known in your neighborhood as the maple bomber! If you do try to turn it, wear armor and stay out of the line of fire...

David E Keller
07-13-2010, 6:42 PM
I'd probably give it a good dose of CA and then give it a whirl... Sort of a bollocks over brains approach. That's probably not good advice, but it's likely what I'd do.

Gary Max
07-13-2010, 6:56 PM
Another vote for Firewood

John Keeton
07-13-2010, 7:25 PM
I'd probably give it a good dose of CA and then give it a whirl... Sort of a bollocks over brains approach. That's probably not good advice, but it's likely what I'd do.David, that is like a lawyer telling someone "just go ahead, all they can do is sue ya'!!" Oh, by the way, here is my card!:D

My theory is - I get enough things thrown at me without asking!! No use to beg for another one.;)

John Hart
07-13-2010, 7:26 PM
Another vote for Firewood

GARY!!! Hey man!!:D

Thom Sturgill
07-13-2010, 7:47 PM
With maple, the CA would show through whatever finish you tried to apply. Cut it up an make pens or bottle stoppers out of it if the spalting looks good, otherwise - firewood!

Michael James
07-13-2010, 8:08 PM
If you insist and CA shows through, how about some 5min epoxy dyed black, might match, or trim it down past the cracking, or cut into smaller pieces as has been suggested. Thats a real nice chunk of wood.... dont see many of those in the cactus patches around here....;)

charlie knighton
07-13-2010, 8:09 PM
+4 for firewood

Allen Neighbors
07-13-2010, 8:25 PM
Life's too short to turn crappy wood. Fact. Not fiction.
However, I have been known to use Duct Tape and CA Glue... occasionally. :D

Josh Bowman
07-13-2010, 8:31 PM
I'm new and am trying to learn the boundary's of this creative skill. So with that the votes is.......(drum roll please)!
It broke when I .................................................. ...split it with a chisel. That way I won't reconsider and try to turn it. I'm sure your experience with repairs is good, but I'm going with the the lawyer on this one, "My theory is - I get enough things thrown at me without asking!! No use to beg for another one."
Honestly I'm still learning the safety aspect of turning. I think your response put that in perspective. If it's cracked, you pay your money and take your chances. And I've already learned even if it's not, you may still have to duck and take cover!
Thanks again, onto another blank.

David E Keller
07-13-2010, 8:34 PM
David, that is like a lawyer telling someone "just go ahead, all they can do is sue ya'!!" Oh, by the way, here is my card!

You're killing my business plan here, John.:D

Josh Bowman
07-13-2010, 8:40 PM
You're killing my business plan here, John.:D
David, I just looked at you profile. You're killing me!:p Between you and John I don't know which way to go. Steve help!;)

Bernie Weishapl
07-13-2010, 9:25 PM
Wise move Josh. When I see wood like that it goes in the firewood pile. Life is to short to turn bad wood.

Karl Card
07-14-2010, 5:38 AM
Josh in no way was I trying to encourage you to turn that piece of wood. It was just an honest opinion of what I shouldnt do but probably would...lol

Kyle Iwamoto
07-14-2010, 12:01 PM
I know it's too late now, but perhaps sealing with anchor seal or similar would have prevented the cracks in the first place? Looks like a nice piece of wood. Since maple is pretty rare around here, I'd attempt a save, cut off the cracked part, or wedge a chisel in and crack off the potential missle..... Maple around here is about as rare as a fireplace, so I have NO idea what you guys mean by tossing it in the firewood pile... :D

Allen Neighbors
07-14-2010, 10:42 PM
Josh, you're a very wise man!! :D