PDA

View Full Version : Warning to canopy buyers

mike simpson
07-13-2010, 6:07 PM
I know there are others that do the craft shows and have canopies so I thought I'd warn you about these crooks.
On march 18 , 2010 I ordered a 6 pole heavy duty enclosed canopy from Ace canopy, AKA Tarpsplus , and Abadak. On June 18 we decided to set it up to make sure we knew how to prepare for the summer craft show season. When I opened up the pipes they had not been de burred when they were cut. The insides of every pipe had a razor sharp burr on it. I thought it shouldn't have been overlooked before shipping but I went ahead and filed them all smooth. Then we started to set up the canopy. I had to file the inside and outside of every pipe and connector to even get it to go together. Another little aggravation. Then when we got the frame together and started to attach the canopy we found out that all the bungee cords were 12 in long instead of 6 in like the packages said. We had to wrap the cords twice to get them to work and then things really went wrong. The top tarp was not wide enough. The gable end tarps were not wide enough. After failing to get any of the tarps to fit I did a little measuring. THEY sent me a 11’ x 9'2" frame, and tarps for a 10 x 10.
That's when I e mailed them, repeatedly. Took them 3 days to respond and then only after calling. They needed my order # which I sent them. In a weeks time, countless e mails and several phone calls the only response I can get is " sorry for your inconvenience but its not under warranty". I asked them to explain to me what the warranty has to do with anything. I ordered a 10 x 10 , paid for a 10 x 10 , and my receipt is for a 10 x 10. I got a 11 x 9'2" frame . I have repeatedly asked for a supervisor but can’t get one to respond. To date Ace canopy has refused to address this problem .
As of July 9 2010 I have corrected the problem myself. I purchased exhaust pipe to replace the pipes that were too short , recut the ones that were too long , purchased new bungee ball straps for a total of $124.00 . With the initial cost of $389.94, and $124.00 for replacement parts my new canopy is a whopping $513.94 This doesn’t include the 2 days labor I lost working on this problem
I have sent them e mails , or called ,nearly every day. One day I called and the girl said "can't you just cut off a foot"? Another response was " I'll forward this to the warehouse right away so that we can fix this problem". and last night the best one" I'm sorry but I can offer you 10% off your next order for your inconvenience.

Mitchell Andrus
07-13-2010, 7:48 PM
I went to their website.... looks legit - and way overpriced. I'll be they sub out fabrication to others and are stuck between you and the mfgr with no idea of what went wrong or how to fix it. Sorry to hear of the 'warranty' problem.

I got my show tent from EZ-UP. Most at the shows I did (10-12 years ago) used them.Use it for picnics and such now, still going strong at nearly 15 YO.

David G Baker
07-13-2010, 9:24 PM
Another vote for EZ-UP. Great quality and long life if taken care of correctly.

Art Mulder
07-13-2010, 9:47 PM
Unfortunately I think you've done too much customizing now to get a refund. I would have not touched anything and advised them that I was contesting the credit card charge if they didn't fix the situation :(

mike simpson
07-13-2010, 9:59 PM
Yeah your probably right. But fact is I ordered a 10 x 10 and got a 11 x 9. I still have the pipes that were too short and the 7 in of pipe I had to cut off to make this thing 10 ' wide. Besides I needed a canopy and gave them a month to correct it.

Harry Hagan
07-14-2010, 8:52 AM
As Art said, the best way to get their attention would have been to let them know that you have contested their charge to your credit card and will continue to contest that charge unless the problem is promptly resolved at no additional expense to you. That’s really the only leverage you have with disreputable vendors. My experience is that credit card companies take these matters very seriously and will take action on your behalf.

I frequently source supplies on the “internet” but always establish a relationship via phone prior to ordering “online” to make sure I can speak with a company employee that’s familiar with their product line if a problem arises. If I can’t call and speak with you in person—you don’t get my money.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Take 'em to court.

Ben Franz
07-17-2010, 1:09 PM
For a $500 total transaction? IMO, that isn't practical from a monetary perspective, much less considering the amount of time involved to sue. The credit card protest is the best way to fight back - make the seller defend the charge and explain away the defects. Many of them won't bother and write off the amount rather than try to fight it out through the CC company.