PDA

View Full Version : Is it fixable

Chris Kodya
07-13-2010, 4:35 PM
I got a bunch of augers that I won from the bay. The problem I am having is several of the smaller sizes have the outside spurs rolled inwards. It looks like someone tried to drill concrete or metal. My question is... Is there a way to fix this or are they shot? If they are no good, any ideas what I can modify them into to give them a second life?

Bill Houghton
07-13-2010, 9:27 PM
So they're regular auger bits but the spurs are bent inward? I suppose, if you were good at forging, you might be able to bend them out again; absent that, filing them until you get properly shaped, if very short, spurs seems like your best bet.

If they're Gedge auger bits, on the other hand, don't mess with them:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/gedge%20auger/shepherd1857/gedge.jpghttp://media.photobucket.com/image/gedge%20auger/shepherd1857/gedge.jpg

Richard Darjes
07-14-2010, 3:14 PM
You might want to google "ships augers" This style of auger has no spurs and is supposed to be better at drilling straight holes in end grain. I seem to remember someone saying it was best to drill the first inch or so with a regular auger and then switch to the the ship augers. I have a few bits that have poor spurs and when I have a "round to it" I want to try filling off the spurs on these bits and seeing if they work.

Of course, the technique I spoke about assumes you already have a good auger bit of the same size to drill the one inch hole.

I'm not sure how often the regular woodworker needs to drill deep holes into endgrain of course. You did ask about alternate uses though.

Richard Darjes
07-14-2010, 3:30 PM
Ok, so I may have gotten the ship auger thing wrong. It seems the feature that makes a ships auger drill straight is the fact that they don't have a centre post and can clear chips better. I have seen versions of this type of bit where the cutting end does not have any spurs so I thought that might be part of the reason they cut straight in end grain. I'm still stubborn enought that some day I am going to try the filing on those otherwise useless bits I have - but I now hold out less hope of them being useful.

Chris Kodya
07-14-2010, 8:17 PM
Here is a pic that might help show what I was talking about. It is a little grainy due to the camera not liking close up shots.

I have a feeling they are shot.

harry strasil
07-14-2010, 11:15 PM
Using an auger bit file or any file with a safe edge, just file the insides till you have a sharp edge at the end.

Jim Koepke
07-15-2010, 12:28 AM
+1 on what Harry said.

They may not be your working best set, but they will be able to get a job done. If I have to drill a hole in a post or something outside the shop, I do not take my best bit.

The best bits get saved for the best holes.

jim

John Powers
07-15-2010, 7:56 AM
I think the one in the pix is shot. I'm in the same boat. I no longer buy augers from anyone unless I can hold it in my hand or from someone here. I honestly don't think that some ebay sellers know that if the little lead screw thingy is mushed all to hell that they need to tell you. Got nice ones from Walt.

Chris Kodya
07-15-2010, 3:25 PM
I received about 30 auger bits in the box for $10. Four of the smaller ones were buggered up like that. One was ground to look like a worn out masonry bit. All the larger sizes were in pretty good shape, just needing a little TLC with a file and brass wire brush.

Even got a surprise in there. Something I have never heard of (not saying much). A square shaft forsner style bit, about 1/2". Even with the bad bits I feel pretty good about the buy.

Bummer about the smaller ones, I was going to use them for draw boring when I get to a do my new work bench.

harry strasil
07-15-2010, 5:08 PM
I have 2 of the old style Forstner Bits, 5/8 and 3/4, never seen any more, they were invented in the early 1800's for making flat bottom holes for making coin holders and for patternmakers. around 1820's some time. about the same time as book matches as we know them were invented.