PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the clamps happy

Ken Garlock
12-04-2004, 3:29 PM
As part of my "let's get organized" effort, I built an A-frame clamp rack. It is all HD "premium" 2x4s. I think premium means you spend 5 minutes locating a decent board :rolleyes:

The A-frame has a 6 degree slope and will hold 19 clamps on each side. The total length is 52" and is 72" high. All joints are either lapped or dadoed and of course glued. Major points of stress also have drywall screws. The top also have corner blocks glued and screwed in place to resist racking.

The trough down the middle is for the small clamps. It is made of luan 1/4" plywood with a split 2x4 on the inside bottom to give strength.

Picture police take note :)

Dick Parr
12-04-2004, 6:19 PM
Very nice clamp rack Ken. I wish I had enough room for one of those.

Looks great. :)

Tim Morton
12-04-2004, 6:45 PM
Nice looking rack :cool: And i have bought many of those "premium" HD 2x4's, and also spent 5 minutes moving all the crap aside to get one that is twisted in less than 3 directions. Its best not to go first thing in the morning when the "night crew" has had a chance to stack all of the prior days "seconds' on the top of the pile.

Tyler Howell
12-04-2004, 6:55 PM
They Look Happy To Me!:cool:

Aaron Montgomery
12-04-2004, 7:10 PM
Ohhh... Daddy Like!

That project is on my list for Christmas break. We'll have to see if it gets done..

Joseph N. Myers
12-04-2004, 7:33 PM
Nice looking rack :cool: And i have bought many of those "premium" HD 2x4's, and also spent 5 minutes moving all the crap aside to get one that is twisted in less than 3 directions. Its best not to go first thing in the morning when the "night crew" has had a chance to stack all of the prior days "seconds' on the top of the pile.
Tim,

Great tip about go to HD first thing in the morning. That is the time I usually go (after my frequent trips to Sam's) and do see a lot of junk especially the plywood, nothing but warpped pieces on top.

I always end up buying my plywood from Lowe's and now that I think about it, usually end up there in the afternoon. I'll try to check Lowe's some morning to see if the same thing happens.

Regards, Joe

Ted Shrader
12-04-2004, 7:53 PM
Very nice clamp rack Ken. I wish I had enough room for one of those.

Looks great. :)Ken -

Dick hit the nail on the head for me. Wish I had the room. Enjoy your rack, it will be very handy.

Ted

Dan Mages
12-04-2004, 8:42 PM
Nice rack and nice collection. I wish I had room for that many clamps!

Dan

Tyler Howell
12-05-2004, 12:05 AM
Gee Ken,

The Clamps are happy the cat is happy! That's one happy place you got there.:)