PDA

View Full Version : Polycarbonate

Brian Terry
07-13-2010, 3:39 PM
Has anybody tried lasering polycarbonate glassware? I searched the forum with no results.

Belinda Barfield
07-13-2010, 4:17 PM
Has anybody tried lasering polycarbonate glassware? I searched the forum with no results.

I would guess that lasering polycarbonate glassware would be the same as lasering polycarbonate sheet. If you search the forum for polycarbonate you should be able to find the info you need.

Dan Hintz
07-13-2010, 4:46 PM
You're not going to be happy with it... PC melts into a nasty brown mess, requiring post cleanup.

Brian Terry
07-14-2010, 12:09 PM
You're not going to be happy with it... PC melts into a nasty brown mess, requiring post cleanup.
Does it melt into the brown mess while cutting or also with etching? Example putting a name or logo on a glass. Thanks for the input I value everyone's opinions.

paul mott
07-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Brian,

The polycarbonate material really absorbs the laser energy and any engraving I have tried has resulted in poor quality, melted and / or raised edges. The work was only suitable for the bin.

I am not saying that it cannot be done but the best thing you could do is obtain a small piece of polycarb sheet and try it for yourself you may find a way that works.

Paul.

Dan Hintz
07-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Brian,

It machines quite well, but the laser is simply not the proper tool here...

Albert Nix
07-14-2010, 5:44 PM
What does work fair is to mask the poly glass then vector cut the letters or logo pull out the unwanted....then use kylon fusion to paint the glass.
You may want to check to be sure the kylon is safe to use on drink ware.

If you have a vinyl plotter you can but a vinyl that looks like etched glass. Cut and apply...looks pretty good.

Brian Terry
07-14-2010, 8:43 PM
Thanks. I think I'll just forget it.