PDA

View Full Version : Attaching tabletop using screws (Kreg Jig)

Andrew Pitonyak
07-13-2010, 3:25 PM
I was looking at the Kreg Jig, and there is a video (by Kreg) that claims that the Kreg Jig is a great thing to use to attach a tabletop

http://www.youtube.com/user/KregToolCompany#p/u/26/pRVU5EEXqXI

My first thought was that this could be a problem when there is wood movement (which is why there are so many other ways recommended to attach a table top).

Louie Ballis
07-13-2010, 3:54 PM
I am certainly no expert but I tend to agree with you. If you attach a tabletop to an apron without allowing for wood movement it is a matter of time before you have problems.

I generally use 5 or 6 "figure eights" which I get from Lee Valley, and although I dont remember the exact cost I seem to recall that the fasteners were very inexpensive when bought in bulk (100 or so).

hope this helps

Louie

Paul McGaha
07-13-2010, 5:51 PM
I use some clips that Woodcraft Sells. They are inexpensive and can take a #10 Screw.

They install in a sawblade thick groove x 1/8" deep around the inside of the table base.

PHM

Maik Tobin
07-13-2010, 7:28 PM
Pocket holes work fine as long as the apron hole is enlarged to allow for expansion. I use the as is at the center, and enlarge the holes for the others.

Andrew Pitonyak
07-13-2010, 7:33 PM
Pocket holes work fine as long as the apron hole is enlarged to allow for expansion. I use the as is at the center, and enlarge the holes for the others.

Had not occurred to me to enlarge the holes...

Joe Scharle
07-13-2010, 7:44 PM
I don't enlarge the holes, just back out the screws a little. That seemed to be the technique used on some hundred y/o pieces I refurbed years ago.

Maik Tobin
07-13-2010, 8:23 PM
I simply run a 1/4 inch drill bit through after I use the Kreg jig. Gives just enough to handle movement.

Neil Brooks
07-13-2010, 8:28 PM

That's how I learned it.

That's what I've seen Norm Abram do (I think he called it 'wallowing' the holes).

That's what I saw Charles Neil do, as I've been watching one of his DVDs.

:)

Andrew Pitonyak
07-14-2010, 9:49 AM
Thanks for the feedback.... This is useful!

Paul Ryan
07-14-2010, 10:41 AM
I have used kreg jig to attach many solid wood tops and have never had any problems. I think the kreg jig is one of the easiest methods to attach a top with.