PDA

View Full Version : Bowl chuck

Chris Woodall
07-13-2010, 1:55 PM
Check this out

http://www.coolhammers.com/longworth_chuck.htm

David DeCristoforo
07-13-2010, 2:35 PM
That looks sweet. But you would want to keep your knuckles clear of those wing nuts!

Robert McGowen
07-13-2010, 2:39 PM
The chuck looks like a well thought out product. I have never been to a website that seemed so much like an infomercial though.

Scott Lux
07-13-2010, 4:45 PM
I have never been to a website that seemed so much like an infomercial though.

That's true. But I still want the chuck. <sigh>

Allen Neighbors
07-13-2010, 5:05 PM
Here's a bit of information about the Longworth Chuck, for those of you that aren't familiar with it: The "Longworth Chuck" was invented by a gentleman named Leslie Longworth. (I'm not sure if he was from Australia or New Zealand.)
The evening of the day that he made the first one, he went to his woodturning guild meeting, and demonstrated it. After that meeting, he allowed one of his mates to take the chuck home to copy. Later that night, he passed away.
His "Longworth" Chuck has since made it around the world, and has been copied by millions of woodturners (I made two of them). I doubt if his family ever got a cent out of it.
Anyway, that's the story, as I remember it. Just want to, at the least, keep his memory alive. He was a remarkable man!
Thanks for reading.
Al

Leo Van Der Loo
07-13-2010, 9:01 PM
Here's a bit of information about the Longworth Chuck, for those of you that aren't familiar with it: The "Longworth Chuck" was invented by a gentleman named Leslie Longworth. (I'm not sure if he was from Australia or New Zealand.)
The evening of the day that he made the first one, he went to his woodturning guild meeting, and demonstrated it. After that meeting, he allowed one of his mates to take the chuck home to copy. Later that night, he passed away.
His "Longworth" Chuck has since made it around the world, and has been copied by millions of woodturners (I made two of them). I doubt if his family ever got a cent out of it.
Anyway, that's the story, as I remember it. Just want to, at the least, keep his memory alive. He was a remarkable man!
Thanks for reading.
Al

Yup that's pretty close as I remember it, good for you to bring the human touch into it Allen :cool: :)

Bernie Weishapl
07-13-2010, 9:40 PM
Looks like a good looking tool.

wes murphy
07-13-2010, 11:25 PM
... you would want to keep your knuckles clear of those wing nuts!
Thats trye, but I'd rather see the wingnuts behind the chuck rather than the spinning guillotine blades of the bowl jaws.

Allen Neighbors
07-13-2010, 11:45 PM
Those wingnuts are behind the disks of the Longworth Chuck, so they are out of the way. I've never even come close to hitting them, in all the times I've used the Longworth, so I don't think you'd have a problem with them, David.

Wally Wenzel
07-14-2010, 10:21 AM
I have been using my homemade version of the longworth for a few years now, i would be lost if i didn't have it. My version is mounted a little different, i had some 5/16 in. aluminum plate that i cut about a 3" circle and mounted on the lathe and doubled sided taped to a wood face plate, turned round and then turned a face plate out of it with a slight dove tailed circled in the center which i screwed to the longworth and mount in my talon chuck. Works great. You can turn the aluminum with your wood turning tools.
Wally