PDA

View Full Version : Magic Molder - 2 wing vs 4 wing

dirk martin
07-13-2010, 1:29 PM
I'm seeing a 2 wing and a 4 wing model of the Magic Molder on the market. I think the 4 wing is rather new. Anyone have any comments on buying one over the other?

Also, I see they speak of different "bore" sizes for this molder. What specifically do they mean by bore?

Thanks gang.

Brian Gumpper
07-13-2010, 1:40 PM
The bore size is the arbor hole in the middle. Typically 5/8" for a 10" saw and 1" for a 12" or larger saw. Some Euro saws are 30mm and they are a special order item.

As far as 2 or 4 plug, no need for the 4 plug. They have been around just as long but you'll need two sets of plugs for each profile and it's just not worth it. I have yet to hear anyone come back and say the 2 plug wasn't good enough wanting to upgrade to the 4 plug.

Rod Sheridan
07-13-2010, 1:48 PM
I'm seeing a 2 wing and a 4 wing model of the Magic Molder on the market. I think the 4 wing is rather new. Anyone have any comments on buying one over the other?

Also, I see they speak of different "bore" sizes for this molder. What specifically do they mean by bore?

Thanks gang.

Hi Dirk, the 4 wing head is new and according to the website you can purchase blank plugs to use it as a 2 wing head. It's for use in the tablesaw.

In machining operations the number of knives in a cutter head is determined by the use.

For hand fed applications in a shaper I'd rather have a 2 knife head since I don't have to feed as fast to keep the chip load in the correct range for the wood.

If you have a power feed and enough spindle power you can run more knives and feed faster.

As to the bore, that's the diameter of the spindle you're mounting it on.

The shaper cutters are all 2 knife designs and use the same Magic Molder insert cutters as the table saw version.

regards, Rod.